Remington 700

mitch4570

Reaction score
I think I know were this will go ,but would like to hear from anyone using Rem 700 in Africa and the findings on performance. Also anyone else who would like to have his say.

I have a rem 700 in .375 H&H and it will be what I am using. I have 4 of them in different calibers and I have never had a malfunction, except factory misfires from them.

Say your say lets hear your thoughts

As always thank you in advance for your input.

Mitch

Rem 700 is the action strongly preferred by gunsmiths for custom builds, I think that says it all.

Rem 700 is the action strongly preferred by gunsmiths for custom builds, I think that says it all.

I know plenty of smiths that prefer CRF actions for custom builds. I think it all comes down to customers preference at the end of the day.

Die hard Rem fans will go their route and the Mauser action base with stick to their guns. Both actions make great custom builds but once again just preference. Just my 2 Rand worth.

Big fan of the 700, I will be taking one on the next trip. I have no doubts as for the rifles performance, there are many out there that have plenty of doubts, I'm not one of them.

So, no matter, if you are comfortable with the 700, or the 70, or the 77 etc... if you know how to use your rifle you should have a memorable experience. Good luck to you...

I get so tired of the 700 getting bashed, it is like the 458 WM vs. 458 Lott, both great cartridges, but opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. I have staunchly supported the 700 over my lifetime. Having had one in my hands since I was 12 years old in the woods and carried one for a living for three years in the Army, I have never had a mechanical issue with one of them. I have never been in the path of a charging lion, buff or anything meaner than a pissed off woman with PMS so I can't speak of inadequacy during these events. Maybe I am an exceptionally lucky person and only have gotten good rifles, but the quantity of M700's that I have purchased over the years I should have got a bad one by now. The way that some portray the rifle, it is lucky that you can get one out of the box without there being an epic failure. Proper care and maintenance of the firearm go a long way mechanical parts that are subject to the brutality of large magnum pressures will wear out and lose their dependability over time. Inspect and replace as necessary. I own quite a few CRF rifles as well, love them too but I do not put them on a pedestal above my Remington's nor vice versa.
I believe that the argument will go on as long as there is still a choice out there, Blond, Brunette or Redhead, there are good and bad in all of them just a matter of which one fits you the best and treats you well.

We used two on the last trip.One is a 30 year old 700 in 300 winmag and the other a new 700 in 257 weatherby.
Both did the job with no problems at all.The old one I had the trigger worked and has a 2 1/2 pull weight the new verison comes with a trigger you can set yourself and got that down to 3lbs.
They are a great gun for the money and with some good ammo will do you well on any trip.

I know plenty of smiths that prefer CRF actions for custom builds. I think it all comes down to customers preference at the end of the day.

Die hard Rem fans will go their route and the Mauser action base with stick to their guns. Both actions make great custom builds but once again just preference. Just my 2 Rand worth.

This!

You can't go wrong either way. The Rem 700 is a great action. Most DG hunters and PH's prefer the CRF, but to each his own. If you like the Rem, go for it!

By the way, I own both CRF and PF and am fine with both. My .375 and .458 are both CRF.

Mine has just returned from it's second trip to Africa, with no problems. However this was not always the case......

I have issues with extraction in the past. Luckily, being a M700, there are many aftermarket goodies available to "pimp it up". A SAKO-style extractor was added to the bolt, so to was a benchrest competition firing pin and spring to decrease the lock time.

Then it would not eject cases clear of the action 100% of the time. A bit of modification had to be made to the ejector pin, now it's fine also.

I have several barrels for my action and can be changed from 7mm Rem- 300 win- 8mm Rem- 375H&H- 416 Rem in less than 10 minutes.

I don't use the 416 Rem anymore. The Remington 700 action's recoil lug is too small and there is only the one in front of the action on the barrel thread. I had a few split stocks. Currently mine wears a boyds laminate classic stock, but again heavily modified. I have drilled/milled out the factory recoil crossbolts (pins) and replaced them with home made screw up cross bolts. I have even added a third square shanked crossbolt directly onto the back face of the recoil lug, and epoxy glued them all in place and Devcon Pillar bedded the action in place.
I used this as the excuse to buy a new Winchester m 70 Safari Express in 416 Rem. Now this rifle can and has been used straight out of the box. Nothing needed to be done here, just sight in and practice.

Five Safaris my old 7mmRm model 700 has made all of 'em and made a bunch of meat....... Last trip it was the only rifle fired. It acounted for a Leopard, Sable, Hyena, Bushbuck, Warthog, a few Impala and a few Baboons.

But I must admit........ I rarely shoot it upside down........

I have used three Rem 700s on African hunts, two different 7mm Rem mags and a .375 Ultra mag (in my Avatar). I never had any problems with any of these rifles, but like JTEX, I rarely shot any of them upside down, and I have not tried to load any of them upside down.

Owned a bunch of 700's over the years, never had a problem with any of them. I did witness a brand new out of the box 700 at the range a while back whose bolt would not close! How it ever left the factory like that I cannot imagine, but it did. We took a 700 Classic in .300 H&H to Namibia in '07 and it did great, no issues of any kind even with fast bolt flipping on game, worked perfect as did my CRF CZ 550. It always annoys me when I hear guys throw out there that they have had multiple failures with the extractor. Fact is, I don't believe it when they push that. I can see how it could happen on ANY gun, but to single out the Rem for it, forget it about it. Years ago my dad tried to blow one up by putting the wrong powder in the case and got a real surprise when smoke and flames poured out of the action, recoil knocked his hat askew, etc. Had to take the rifle home to use a hammer to get the bolt open! :eek: What was left of the case was welded to the chamber, but that worthless, horrible extractor still had a firm grip on that case rim! He shipped the gun to a smith, who cleaned it up, checked it out and sent it back, worked fine after. Yeah, 700's are junk.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!