Remington .308 Win Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by PHOENIX PHIL, May 2, 2012.

1. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Is Remington brass for .308 Winchester normally hard to come by? I had to really scour the web last night to find a couple of 20 piece bags. This was after calling a number of local shops and finding they had none in stock. Is this normal or just bad timing?
  2. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Not sure but if its anything like powder or primers around here it seems to come in waves, here today gone tomorrow and everyone seems to run out at the same time for some reason. Manufacturing?
  3. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    Just checked and Midway has them in the 20/box. Sold out of the 100/500 and 1000. Cabela's was out. Both said you could backorder. Maybe Remington does a run 1 or 2 times a year and we in the slack time before a run. Had not heard of a shortage. Bruce
  4. RickB

RickB AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA)
    I came across this with remington shotgun barrels last year. They produce what they feel they can sell in the year. Then they are done till the next production run. So this makes sence with the brass as well. You might just be in the low point in the production run? You could try calling remington and see what they say?
  5. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Hey Phil try gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com I've had good luck winning bids and getting them.
  6. Second Wind

Second Wind AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, Mexico
    Phil,

what's with the .308 brass deal...I thought you's still be working that 62,000 psi load for the Rigby LOL

Anyway, there is a guy in Natalia who usually has gobs of .223 and .308 I will check with him if you want, how much do you need and is once fired military stuff okay?

Lemme know
  7. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Thanks but as noted above, Midway USA had 20 piece bags and I ordered two of them. This is for my son's new Tikka. The .416 Rigby load development was very quick and painless. In all of about three trips to the range I had two loads for 400gr A-Frames and North Forks. It was dang near boring! Now the new project is the .308. If it goes quick, i'm not sure what I'll do with myself.

Got an elk tag for this fall, so the summer pre-hunt scouting will start soon. After that I could be in danger of buying another rifle! Still wanting for some reason to add something in a .300H&H to the cabinet.
  8. Second Wind

Member of:
    by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, Mexico
    Phil

A 300 H&H... Sweet!

Fine rifles are like that...they talk amongst themselves

I am sure that nothing would please your Rigby more that to be snuggled up against a little 300 Holland in the belly of a lufthansa on your (and their) way to Dar es Salaam.

guns are funny that way
  9. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    If I could afford to hunt TZ, that .300H&H would be a pre-64 M70 having never been fired and it would be along side of one very fine double! Going to have to settle on Zim I guess.

I've only shot a .300H&H once, a Ruger No. 1. Recoil was extremely gentle and something about that single shot got to me. Furthermore the nostalgia of the caliber made me long for some wire-rimmed glasses and a proper Pith!
  10. Second Wind

Member of:
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, Mexico
    Phil,

Well stipulating to all things previous, I say without the proper pith, Tanzania is just out of the question!
  11. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Aye!