Regret On Photos Being The Only Trophy

I'm thrilled that I chose to shoulder mount all three of my animals. I vividly recall seeing the red hartebeest staring at me as I sat in the bakkie, just before jumping out to find him, and put him down. The straight-on pose is EXACTLY the way I remember seeing it. Now I happily smile every time I look at the trophy. My blue gnu and black gnu look fantastic as well, but those memories aren't quite as strong.

My vote? If you can swing the extra dough, get African taxidermy then ship home those precious memories.

This is a difficult one i like all the mounts, if I have to for space they will go in the bed room. Just got a quote for are trip in 11 days (who counting) if we get the animals. I could go back hunting. Being the kids first trip there animals will get mounted

This is a tough call. We did the research on USA or SA for taxidermy. As it turned out our PH took us to Black Bear Taxidermy in Kimberly SA while we were there. We had a very good tour of their facilities and looked at a lot of different animals that were ready to be shipped. We very much liked their quality and how they seemed to be alive and looking at you. We were able to save enough on taxi that it payed all the shipping costs to my house in Utah (USA) 1-pedestal mount Kudu (low ceilings) 1- Zebra rug 4-shoulder mounts 1-Black Wildebeest 1-Warthog 1- Impala 1- Springbok. The pic's I took were great but when I walk in that room I just have to smile. The only regret I have is not taking a very good Nyala I had at less than 100 yards. I was worried about going over my budget. Now I kick myself every time I go in that room and there is NO Nyala. Good luck on your Safari you will be going back.

Just started reading this and I will give you some recent numbers. I hunted last September and got four trophies. Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Impala and Worthog. I took them to a D&S and had all four skulls bleached, two capes kept raw, one hide tanned. The bill for that cratering and paperwork was $1100. Shipping to Chicago came to $410. The charge to have them imported? In the stated was $370. So that comes to $1880. Going to have the Nyala done as a pedestal shoulder mount $920 app.
Total after the hunt $2800.

I guess I differ really from a lot of folks here. I personally won't do the hunt if I don't have all the finances in place. Now for me I mount everything. Otherwise I won't shoot. I'm far from a rich man but I guess it just matters on how much room you have to make the decision to mount trophies. In any event enjoy your safari. I take my first safari in September.

IMAG2017.jpg
My son standing next to some Euros from 2013. My photo books are on a nearby end table. If you aren't doing mounts, this is the next best thing in my opinion. Total to my door was about $2000, including a Warthog, Black Wildebeest and all capes and three flatskins not shown. Kevin

Last edited:
Really like the way those plaques pull the skulls up and off the wall. They look great!

I've had all mine done over there and yes it does add up. But to me the trophies will be something to hand down!

Thanks Royal, I had them made locally, and attached the skulls myself. Kevin

Good predicament to be in. I wish I was contemplating the same thing myself. It is part of the anticipation of the first safari. I never considered photo only, but looked very hard at many of the rest of the options discussed in the thread.

For me .... first safari (hopefully not the last!) ...I decided to shoot fewer, more highly desirable ...at least for me ... animals (2 kudu, pushback, and nyala) and go with the wall pedestal mounts from a high quality African taxidermy. My four guys serve as inspiration as a type this and dream of returning to Africa. I will definitely tend toward euro for future trips with the occasional shoulder mount added.

As I read through this again the thing that sticks out to me the most is that there is no wrong choice! This is a very personal part of the journey and you never know where you might end up if you let it go.

I'm going to end up with a mix of mounts, skulls, and skins. But, I've made some weird choices, like I'm leaning towards a shoulder mount of my Blesbuck (that I didn't even plan to shoot) and just doing a skull mount on my kudu, that was my number one priority for the last trip. You just never know!

All said and done, it should now be clear to all the importance of having good high quality photo's taken of your safari and your trophies.
Take/ have lots and lots! Should something happen to the trophies themselves...at least you'll have photo's to mount!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg