Red Stag hunt in New Zealand

dear sir new Zealand is awesome I suggest that you take your wife along. I did and we spent 2 weeks in NZ
here are my thoughts for you there are 2 islands north and south aukland is on the north island and it is very different than the south. If you want to hunt tahr and chamois you must go to the south island which is much more mountainous and beautiful!! ALL THE PEOPLE ARE VERY NICE AND FRIENDLY,
tahr and chamois only live in the moutains. Our versions of ranchs are what they call estates and some are very large. they raise the red deer and stags for meat to sell to Europe and velvet and antlers powder to sell to china so there are literally millions and also to sell to hunters. Hunting generally falls into 2 categories small independent type outfits that don't own any estates and hunt free range or pay the big estates for acess.
The animals aka the stags are priced by the inch they score, those inside the high fence of the estates are more expensive those outside the fence cheaper but smaller. tahr, chamois and to some extent fallows are free range as the fallows can jump the fences at will.
Helicopters are used to go into the mts for chamois and tahr or you can elect in some cases to climb and stalk.
I hunted with Glen dene station and was more than pleased and would recommend them because of the following the family is the BURDONS and Richard runs the show they have a HUGE estate and have estate aka high fence hunting or free range outside the fence hunting for everything stags, fallow, tahr chamois, goats and wild sheep. the view is to die for they own lake Wanaka and another and the mts inbetween. besides they have acess to virtually everything as the family has been there for generations and they are awesome nice people. I killed a 507 stag see my avatar, the #12 sci tahr, goat, wild sheep, etc. so enough said they got the animals and the land, etc and will treat you right.
shane quin is good too but he is on the north island thus no tahr and chamois. if you you go with Richard please ask for his guide dan or barry both excellent. as regards timing I went mid may then tahr and chamois rut and beautiful coats, stag time of year doesn't matter Richard has thousands literally in herds shoot whatever size you can afford! roar not that big of a deal but a tahr with a full mane is something to see. pm me if you need more info but that's the details of nz take your wife and sightsee too

@AfricaHunting.com @BRICKBURN

I think its great to see how Africahunting.com has become the go-to resource for hunting around the world! I have yet to find a better resource for any other regions/continents.

We have people that hunt every place and we have people for ever where on here.
A great resource!!!!!!!!

We've hunted both North and South Island for red stag and both were awesome hunts but personally, I prefer the North Island for red stag. The cover is thicker and terrain very conducive to getting up close and personal. The terrain on the South Island tends to be more open. From what we've seen, it's pretty hard to go wrong in New Zealand no matter where you hunt. We hunted last year on the North Island with Gerald Fleurty of Wildside Hunting Safaris. In addition to red stag we did fallow deer, sika deer, sambar and goat. It was a combination of free-range and high fence hunting. There are no tahr and chamois available to hunt on the North Island so if those are secondary species then you are pretty well confined to the South Island. Hunting red stag in the roar is an incredible experience but not a necessity. We did our last hunt in July and all the deer were really calm and it made for some great stalking. If tahr is also on the list I'd push the hunt in May to ensure a good cape. Kiwis have the hunting business figured out and getting guns in is a breeze and getting trophies home is done quickly and very efficiently.
11921687_10154118412895400_8857054287970282913_n.jpg

Attachments

• 11921687_10154118412895400_8857054287970282913_n.jpg
    11921687_10154118412895400_8857054287970282913_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Congratulation, I agree NZ is a fabulous place to visit and hunt. I ve hunted both islands and would love to go back one day.

Congratulation, I agree NZ is a fabulous place to visit and hunt. I ve hunted both islands and would love to go back one day.
I think we are going to hunt on the South Island and my wife has said that she would like to see if she could find some kind of a bike tour that she could do as I am hunting.
Does anyone have any ideas that might work for her idea?

@Bhfs300

Ann and I saw a lot of people biking when we were on the south island last year.

Seems like you were thinking about hunting with Jim Gibson - I believe he's on the east side. Maybe she could do Christchurch to Dunedin? Or, a route from Dunedin to Queenstown could be good - I think I read where they have an old railroad bed or something that one can ride on and follow.

If you hunt with Cardrona - she could ride between Queenstown and Wanaka (there was actually a bike race going on when we stopped there for lunch.

If you are on the west coast - I would very highly recommend staying in Bruce Bay at the Mahitahi Lodge for a night if possible. John and Jacquie were the best. If you hunted with Wilderness Quest as I did, she might be able to ride between Greymouth and Bruce Bay. You could get your stag at the ranch, then go down to the Fox Glacier area to get a Tahr. Then meet her in Bruce Bay.

If you are interested in our itinerary, PM me and I'll send it to you. We used Esplanade (Kit lived in New Zealand several years) and they did a very nice job for us.

John

I just got back a couple of days ago from a hunt with Southern Moutain Adventures. I hunted with the owner Croc Adams. It was one of the best hunts I have been on and Croc is a very entertaining/knowledgable guy. While I did not hunt for stags, did hunt for Tahr and chamois. Croc has a lot of stags where he hunts that a free range. It is there busy season over there so be patient with any hunting outfit you are trying reach.

IMG_7194.JPG
Forgot about this thread did get to New Zealand and got both unlucky and lucky.
It rained the whole time I was hunting but we were not seeing any good Red Stages so when this one showed up my guide said you better shoot it. He measured it in at 454 7/8 couldn't have been more excited.

Wow thats huge

That's a great stag. Congratulations!

I hunted with Leithen Valley, Rachel Burke in March and harvested two stag scoring 377 and 521 as well as Arapawa and fallow. Excellent family run outfit. I allowed them to split the horns and shipping to Houston was only $650. Conroe still was still able to SCI score them. Clean your boots.

Bhfs300....WOW! That is a monster! Hope you had a helicopter to get it out!
Congratulations!

I hunted with Leithen Valley, Rachel Burke in March and harvested two stag scoring 377 and 521 as well as Arapawa and fallow. Excellent family run outfit. I allowed them to split the horns and shipping to Houston was only $650. Conroe still was still able to SCI score them. Clean your boots.

Pictures-pictures!

I went to my army surplus store got a 30" - 50" duffle bag and brought my Stag and Arapawa Ram back with me as luggage. One 50 NZD
form.

IMG_7212.JPG

Awesome! Great picture!

Yep great stag!

Seems high for 375 inches even with the dollar break if I would like one in the 400" range.
What if the New Zealand dollar comes up before I go hunting it cost me more. The people I have made contact with are only talking US $.
375 is a very respectable stag, unfortunately once I spotted all the 400 class stags there was no holding me back..lol. Don't seem to matter over there as it does in Africa as far as currency fluctuations. Go enjoy yourself that is the main thing. Have you booked yet?, if so who have you decided to hunt with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross