dreaming

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Guys,
I am looking for a 7-10 animal plainsgame hunt. kudu, gemsbok, impala, blesbok, hartebeest, warthog, zebra and maybe baboon or another opportunity animal. I understand most of SA is high fenced, but want to feel like I am hunting the "dark continet". Anybody have any personal suggestions on a hunting outfitter? The number of choices can be a bit overwhelming.

Not sure if this helps, friend of mine just came back from Namibia hunting with Ozondjahe Safaris. From his account, the hunting was great. Most of all no high fences. Also the prices were very reasonable.

Hunted with Ozondjahe Safaris last year and have plans to return with my whole family. Can't go wrong with them!

dreaming.................you are absolutely right. The number of operators is overwhelming when you are trying to narrow things down. I have personally never hunted with Ozondjahe, however I have heard nothing but good things about this operator and I have talked to him a few times.........he is a nice guy and a straight shooter.

There are a lot of variables and with the list of animals you have posted you will be behind high-fence even in Namibia for a couple of those species. In RSA the big thing is to pick an outfitter that puts a lot of effort into his hunts and that has a big enough area. Some of the operators are on little put and shoot operations and others are hunting thousands of acres with herds of game that live in a natural state, breed and die on the property. The bigger farms have a few leopard and some have cheetah as part of conservancies.

I have hunted in Namibia and Zimbabwe. I would recommend Westfalen Safaris in Namibia for what you are wanting to hunt. John & Julianna Van Der Westhuizen are wonderful hosts and now great friends. I am hunting with them next month.

Please guys, when you talk about high fences , these are areas that range up to 50 000 acres , with high fences. So high fences does not mean that the animals are "caged" in . Farms here in South Africa are different to the Ranches you know back home. We do not endorse caged hunting ever and believe in the art of fair chase. Dont let "high fences" ever take any shimmer of your hunt.

I have to agree with Marius on this one. I have found that the game on hunting ranches is much spookier and harder to get up on than some of the wilder free range consesions that get little pressure. I would say that the fenced area needs to be at least a certain size with plenty of cover for animals to escape. I'm not sure what that size needs to be, maybe 6,000 acres??? Certainly bigger is better.

Hi

Try Wayne Wagner Safaris near Hoedspruit in Limpopo.They hunt a very nice area in Limpopo and Moz that could be what you are looking.

Enjoy the hunt

Dear Dreaming

I have send you a private message.

Regards

I second the endorsement of Westfalen Safaris

Try Clive Perkins Sportsmans Safaris, great hunting in the Limpopo with a nice camp right on the river. I know several happy repeat clients including myself. Very good trophy quality as well.

Not sure if this helps, friend of mine just came back from Namibia hunting with Ozondjahe Safaris. From his account, the hunting was great. Most of all no high fences. Also the prices were very reasonable.

They may have hunted in a different area, but the Ozondjahe property itself is fenced with a 8' fence. Most game ranches in South Africa and Namibia are fenced.

Werner

Please guys, when you talk about high fences , these are areas that range up to 50 000 acres , with high fences. So high fences does not mean that the animals are "caged" in . Farms here in South Africa are different to the Ranches you know back home. We do not endorse caged hunting ever and believe in the art of fair chase. Dont let "high fences" ever take any shimmer of your hunt.

I hunted "high fence" in SA, never saw the fence, worked my butt off, shot seven animals, missed three, had an absolutely great time and going back again. My outfitter told me when I was dubious of high fence hunting "Most of these animals ranges are much smaller than the fenced area and they've never seen the fence either." He also said "Our animals do not commit suicide." meaning they are a real challenge to get within 150 yards for a good shot. A couple of times I thought "If that PH takes me up one more kopje today, I think I'll just kill myself and end the misery." It was a great experience.

By the way, puff adders and cobras don't pay much attention to high fences and neither did the rhino and her calf that we didn't know had moved into the area. I was never in doubt that I was hunting in Africa.

I'm going back to Jamy Traut Safaris in Namibia next month for safari #5. Have known him for years and he hunts BIG properties. Do your self a favor and at least talk to him before you decide. Besides, planning is half the hunt and a lot of fun. Just Google him up. You won't be disappointed.

IF YOU GO ONCE, YOU WILL RETURN-DEAL WITH IT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg