Recommend a good light weight hunting jacket

Biggdawg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Izaak walton league of america
Looking for recommendations for a good light weight jacket or a good jacket to take on my safari.

i heard the mornings can be chilly and am in need of a new jacket anyhow.

any and all input welcome and appreciated.

thanks I will check it out.

I really like the Boyt Safari Jacket. It's non-insulated which makes it great to keep the thorns off, bugs and perhaps a few degrees of warmth. I wear that over a fleece if it gets colder.

Regardless, that jacket and the similar vests have become my favorite jacket in my closet, bar none.

Carhartt Men's Edlin Active Jacket ... I believe they discontinued this jacket, sadly, but there are still a few around. Army Green, soft - quiet external fabric, very well made. When I suspected they were discountinuing it, I bought 4 to make sure I had plenty. My oldest son wore one last year for his safari, and my other son will wear one this year.

Thanks Shakey, just found one and ordered it will be her on tuesday so i can check it out.

got the carhartt edlin jacket today it is just what i was looking for. thanks again for the tip.

Glad you like it. That's what this forum is for.

So I am reviving this old thread because I am supposed to head across to Zimbabwe in June and can’t decide if I should order a new jacket or not. Does anyone have a recommendation that is not 6 years old haha. I am curious as to what y’all recommend and use.

I use a Korean War surplus wool field shirt. Cost me $2.50 at the gun show 20 years ago. Holding up just fine after a lot of use. Looks like they are selling for $30 now. Still worth it.

I have a carhartt jacket as described above. A heavy canvas, with a flannel lining. It is dark brown. I’ve never been on safari but wear it for work all the time. It’s my favorite.
I have a Deluth trading jacket that’s very similar, but it’s my “good” one.
Go to your farm store and look around. But be sure to get one that repels “stickers,” briars, and thorns. I have ripped a sweatshirt to ribbons logging.

I wear a Duluth travel style sport coat that's no longer made.
Closest I can find on their website is the Presentation Jacket.
I'm not big on camouflage clothing, earth tones for me.
Works well on the plane if your wife is cold as well.
Nice enough to wear for dinner with a casual shirt.
Rough enough for hunting in the bush.

I'm also wearing a fleece lined vest, LS shirt, T-Shirt and neck gaiter.
We hunted RSA in May/June with temps from 32-75F.
Dress in layers.
1605055679787.png

Sitka gear. I've had their jacket and a vest for a year or so. Vest plus light cotton LS shirt plus t-shirt was perfect for this mornings hike at ~40*F (sunny, no wind). Would only use the jacket in similar weather if breezy, or colder or not moving. Order a size larger than normal.

I have been taking long sleeve flannel shirts under fleece vest under a Midway or Cabelas (no longer made) Safari jacket. A shemagh around my neck. Fleece watch cap when cold, boonie when hot. A rain jacket just in case and needed a couple of times (also with hood it works well as a windbreaker in the bakkie). Tactical gloves for those cold mornings and evenings by the fire. I carry sweats to sleep in.
This outfit has worked well for me from June into September.
Midway has some decent well priced fleece and the Safari jacket. They usually have two kinds of fleece vests. One with a smooth outside that breaks the wind well and one just fleece that is a bit warmer.
Best of luck in your selections! Nights and mornings can be quite nippy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.