recommend a custom builder for a left handed 30-06

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
as many of you know already my dad is still looking for a PG rifle for our trip next year. the one rifle he wanted (Sako 85 Hunter) is not available and doesn't look like it will be in time for the hunt. ive tried to sell him on a number of other rifles (Browning, Tikka, Remington, and Ruger) but none meet his taste.

so hes decided he wants a gun made for him. his price limit has upped to $5000.00 but there is a catch, the gun must be completed by may of 2015. for $5000 my dad will expect a very high quality rifle that both looks good and shoots well.

are there any good builders you can recommend who will make a nice left handed 30-06 for $5k or less before June of next year?

thank you
-matt

Matt, I would recommend Sisk & Wild West Guns. Had WWG build a couple for me and both turned out great. As far as timeframes I can not answer that. Best of luck though and hope to hear how the build turns out.

You may not find one with such a close completion date requirement. Call around to the Custom rifle builders of preference and ask them if they have any in stock. Of course, the rifle may need some slight adjustments (if you find the desired LH 30-06 you are looking for) but you stand a better chance to expand your search to available rifles and other calibers. I would suggest 7MM Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag... Look at Cabela's Gun library too. I believe you can have any gun shipped from any Cabela's store in the states for $25.00...

Have him buy something in advance that he can shoot well and get comfortable with in the event you guys don't find what you want.

I'm waiting on a SAKO in .375 Left Hand from Finland. It was supposed to be here last August, but will not ship until January. I took a SAKO Finnbear .375 in right hand on my last Safari for this reason. I shot it well because I had time to practice. It was not my preference, but I couldn't get a custom LH rifle built in time. When the new SAKO shows up, I'll give my brother the Finnbear for his first Safari.

"You can't always get what you want"

Might try hillcountryrifles.com. ive got some contact info somewhere. Let me see if I can find it. No idea on the timing.

It will take a spectacular combination of luck to find a builder who has been in business long enough to have a solid reputation but happens to have nothing on his to do list.

I'd want at least several months time to practice with a rifle before heading to Africa with it. That means February for delivery. Terribly short time frame for a custom rifle.

I think this is the time for off the shelf. Should be able to find and A-bolt in 30-06. There is a Sako 85 in 6.5x55 on gunbroker. That would be a perfectly acceptable choice with no practical advantage over a 30-06 but significant style points.

with a $5000 rifle budget he could have the rifle, 1000 rounds of ammo, and maybe enough left over to take a 3 day class at **NOT**PERMITTED** to wring it out.

I like a custom rifle as much as the next guy but a familiar factory rifle with plenty of trigger time in it beats any brand new custom rifle for practical use.

thanks for the suggestions all!

-our hunt isn't till September of 2015 so a completion date of May still gives him plenty of time to practice.

-as for other calibers, I haven't had any luck convincing him of those either, the 300WM and 7mmRM both have too much recoil for him (hes had multiple shoulder surgeries). I know of a Sako LH 270 Win available but hes still not interested (thinks its too small). he wants a cartridge with factory ammunition available in a wide variety of bullet weights that can be found in every gun store on the planet. I don't shoot factory ammunition so I don't know much about availability other then what I can see on the web. suggestions?

-also, any thoughts on Cooper of Montana? http://cooperfirearms.com/

-matt

Great rifle, shoot like a dream!

Matt85,

My experience with having a bolt rifle built for me has been 100% that the three Gunsmiths I have tried (California, Minnesota and Alaska), for a half dozen or so projects, all probably meant every word of what they said about an estimated date of delivery.
Three months past due is the very "fastest" I have ever experienced the delivery of a semi-custom rifle.
When I say semi-custom, I'm referring to only having a few modifications done to an existing factory production model.

A few but not all examples are:
Model-70 type 3 position safety installed, barrel shortened an inch or two, front sight replaced, stock cross-pinned, fitted with an extra recoil lug and glass bedded against recoil, barrel band swivel installed, gel-type recoil pad installed, larger bolt handle welded on.
The "fastest" I have received a full-on custom rifle is something like 14 months (even though they usually say, "six to eight months delivery date").

My definition of full custom:
When I have handed the Gunsmith a Model 98 action only and a typed/numbered list, to include photos of what I wanted the finished product to turn out like.

I'm not bashing Gunsmiths or custom rifles because I really enjoy the finished product when done correctly.
All I am saying is that, any proper Gunsmith is going to be in high demand and will thereby get behind on his delivery dates.
That's just the way it is in that business.

If you get a few spare minutes, www.gunsinternational.com might have a "left handed rifles" section?
As I recall, your dad will not have a 2nd hand rifle and so, if they do have a lefty section, perhaps there will be a new rifle in there that your dad can live with.

Cheers,
velo Dog.

thanks Velo Dog, ill poke threw GI and who knows maybe ill get lucky.

i contacted Cooper of Montana but as i feared it would take too long to make the rifle.

my dad may be out of luck.

-matt

I'd want at least several months time to practice with a rifle before heading to Africa with it. That means February for delivery. Terribly short time frame for a custom rifle.

I'm complete with you on this point Bert! Matt doesn't mind getting a gun and going, I've had that conversation with him, but I definitely want time to work through any kinks and get to know the rifle.

In my limited experience (I have only had three custom projects done) turn around time of a year has been realistic. I have had small items take only a few months, like Ceracote or installing sights, but anything that takes machine work will have a "due date" of six- eight months but almost always is pushing a year before it's ready to pick up. I think the last thing you would want is to push the gunsmith and end up with a nice and expensive rifle that isn't quite right because he hurried to get it to you. Let him take his time and do it on his schedule and you have a better chance of getting a quality product, IMO for what it's worth.

Even with a next September hunt I'd say a custom rifle is not realistic. Part of that may be my definition of custom, which I consider to be a true bespoke rifle, made to measure. Even the carefully-assembled rifles that many people call a custom rifle will take quite some time. My experience has been similar to Velo Dog's: if you want something by May and the gunsmith is good, you are already pushing it time-wise even if you are talking about a relatively modest job.

The left-handed thing is not helping matters time-wise. When I had my left-handed 404 built, I had to wait until GMA got enough orders for left-handed actions to do a production run. They had just finished the last run, so you can guess how long that took. Not a complaint, just reality.

Finding a stock blank can take a very long time. Finding a piece with good grain flow and a pattern you like is as much a matter of luck as it is a matter of diligence. Once you find it, that blank has to be dry. That takes years, so either you have to be well ahead of the game or you or the gunsmith has to have complete trust that the dealer is representing the drying time properly. Otherwise, it is into the gunsmith's wood storage for the time it takes to dry.

Finishing the already-shaped stock properly will take weeks at best. It is one coat a day, maybe two, and sanding and rubbing each time. Simply cannot be rushed and done properly.

Best to disabuse Dad of the idea of a custom rifle for this hunt and get shopping now for an off-the-shelf solution to his needs.

Realistically, the time frame and left-handed combination means he may need to be flexible on the particular brand of rifle or the chambering. One approach might be to get him started on his custom project and purchase a $600 Savage in 30-06 which he will not like at all, but will shoot straight out of the box and will give him a backup in case his dream rifle isn't ready in time. Get an excellent scope on it so that he will have that ready whenever his dream rifle is built. Don't even try to find a rifle that has the aesthetics he wants: if his heart is set on the Sako anything close will be close but no cigar. Better a butt-ugly synthetic stocked rifle that he can use in the rain, sleet, or snow without concern. Then he will have a gun for Africa and he can give the custom project the time and effort it deserves.

Another option is talking him into 6.5x55 and getting the Sako that is available. There is not much choice in factory ammo, but then again a 140g bullet is about all one needs in 6.5x55. A third option is to wait and see what becomes available, but remember that new left handed rifles generally come available in batches. There is a bird in the hand effect to consider.

I'm speaking as a left-hander here and also the father of a left-hander. We can be picky or we can be in a rush, but we don't get the option of being both.

Finally, the other thing I would consider is whether or not he really wants to go to Africa. If despite all your efforts you cannot find a rifle he is satisfied with, perhaps he is (consciously or unconsciously) setting up a situation where it is impossible for him to get a rifle for this trip.

Finally, the other thing I would consider is whether or not he really wants to go to Africa. If despite all your efforts you cannot find a rifle he is satisfied with, perhaps he is (consciously or unconsciously) setting up a situation where it is impossible for him to get a rifle for this trip.

lets be VERY careful what assumptions we make about people here.

my father is simply new to the idea of custom rifles and doesn't understand time frames required for making them. I informed him it wouldn't be likely that someone could make one in short notice but he asked me to try any way. if he cant get what he wants, he already purchased a right handed Sako in 30-06 to take in the event nothing left handed that fits his tastes can be found. hes grown up in a right handed world and served in a right handed military so hes no stranger to using a right handed rifle.

-matt

Matt, no assumptions made, just pointing out a possible scenario to consider. Glad to hear that is not a concern and he is already good to go!

Matt,
There is a Sako Mod 61 Lefty you might want take look at.

Platinum Seller
Company:
Spragues Sports
ScreenName: Sprague's Sports Inc.
State: Arizona
Zip: 85364
Phone: 1-800-440-3892
Fax: 928-344-4708
Number of Active Listings: 179
Total Number of Listings: 2046
Seller: FFL Dealer
Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns.
3 days
Payment Types Accepted: credit card, check, certified funds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber