Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
Rare Dama Gazelles Rediscovered

SANDSCRIPT, No. 9. April 2011

Recent fieldwork carried out in Chad thanks to the Pan Sahara Wildlife Survey, generously funded by HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, has yet again turned up ground breaking data on endangered desert species. Accompanied by staff from Chad’s parks department and an experienced guide and ex-park ranger, the team surveyed part of the vast Ouadi Rimé-Ouadi Achim Game Reserve. The reserve, approximately the size of Indi-ana, was until civil war broke out in the 1980s a haven for desert antelopes, including several thousand of the now extinct in the wild scimitar-horned oryx. The reserve’s dama gazelle population was also truly astounding and it was not uncommon to see upwards of a hundred of these magnificent gazelles in any one day. Following the war and the almost total disappearance of larger wildlife, it was assumed the dama gazelles, now a globally criti-cally endangered species, had gone the way of the oryx into oblivion. And although the odd rumor of gazelles did pop up from time to time no tangible evidence could be secured.

So with the somewhat daunting challenge of finding dama gazelles we set out. Our initial strategy was to talk to local nomadic herders and we were pleasantly surprised to hear news of recent sightings and some good indications of where the gazelles might be found. Once in the general area we then started a systematic search, combining long, vehicle-based transects with shorter excursions on foot to optimize chances of picking up tell tale tracks. It did not take long for our guide, Abdelaziz, to pick up the first spoor and soon enough we finally spotted our first dama gazelle. This was quickly followed by a small group of four, including a youngish animal. It is difficult to say exactly how many gazelles are left but first indications are very positive.

Apart from dama gazelles, the fieldwork also con-firmed the reserve as being almost certainly the best remaining reservoir in the whole of Africa for dorcas gazelles. In all we saw over fifteen hundred. And while camels in some areas out-numbered gazelles by 6 to 1, the prospects for their conservation are extremely positive. Significant efforts have been recently under-taken by the Chadian Government to curtail illegal hunting. On our return to Chad’s capital, N’Djamena, we were able to present our findings to senior government officials and to discuss how best to conserve the precious gazelle populations of the reserve. Further work in the coming months will consolidate options, including the possibility of reintroducing scimitar-horned oryx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross