Range time and a parenting lesson

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I am heading out in just 3 weeks on my first safari and I am taking my teenaged daughter. I can tell you the most stressful part of the planning so far has been trying to get my daughter to take preparing for the trip seriously. Something that completely surprised me was that she wants to go hunting on this trip. (She has never expressed any interest in hunting whatsoever) The problem is that she has never shot anything bigger than a .22 and that was several years ago. I am an instructor at my club and I run a junior rifle program for kids and I had to practically force her to join our classes. I've been trying to get her to come with me to the range but the social schedule of a 16 year girl rarely has time for that kind of stuff.

To be honest I was more than a little concerned that she would be able to shoot accurately enough with the little amount of time we had and would be able to handle my Tikka T3 Lite .308. I wouldn't say the recoil is bad but it does get your attention and she's very petite. I told her that I don't think she could handle shooting the .308 and maybe she should give up on the idea of hunting on this trip. (This is were the parenting lesson came in) She had to prove me wrong! Today I finally got her to the range and the worrying was for nothing. I bought some Hornady Custom Lite ammo for her to start off which ended up being a waste since she didn't mind the recoil one bit! Then we stepped up to the real stuff, Norma 180 gr and she proceeded to create a single hole at 25 yards right off the bat! It was very windy and at 100 yards she managed up with 4 in groups off the sticks. Not too bad but she will have some more time to practice over spring break.

sarah_tikka.jpg

Oh, and one more thing. I've been nagging her to break in her brand new boots. She got a good start on that today too:

boot.jpg

That's just awesome Bill!!!

Just don't tell her she isn't good enough to shoot all of the animals in Africa, you'll go broke. ;)

Try this: "I'll bet you a new car you can't ....."

See what happens. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
After raising a daughter I am convinced that teenage girls are ruthless cold blooded killers :eek: Love it!
Good job dad (y)

I am so glad to hear all is going well and her going with is going to make your trip that much better. A 4" group at a 100yds in wind is some good shooting. You better watch out as that trophy bill could be growing. LOL

I remember when we started talking about hunting with tootabi as it seems like it was along time ago and now 3 weeks and you will be having the time of your life. I cant wait to see the pictures and to find out how much fun you had.

After raising a daughter I am convinced that teenage girls are ruthless cold blooded killers :eek: Love it!
Good job dad (y)

You've got that right!!!!

Boys get all excited and buck fever hits... Girls? They just squeeze the trigger....

Love the boots. Regardless of what you spend on the trip with your daughter, I can tell you it will be forever....Priceless. I know, I was just there with my son last year. Enjoy that time, you will remember it forever. Take lots of photos.

For that Tikka get a Limbsaver direct replacement recoil pad. They really help. I have 2 and put them on both.....For ME.
"I" do not think the 180's are needed. "I" would load 165gr Swift A-Frames and any PG will be dead with less recoil and flatter trajectory.

As far as daughters: Mine became a killing machine. She went to Africa to take one animal and returned home with 5 and shot at least 8 more there. Take plenty of money. You will need it. You will also have the best time with her and her with you. We did several days of sightseeing on top of the hunting. It was great.

Ah, yes.....teenage daughters:eek:

Mine went through hunter safety, but then softball, boys, figure skating, boys, and a part time job (and boys) got between us.......now that she is out of college, she has shown an interest in some of MY interests, and she now goes shooting with me (when she comes home). She enjoyed shooting "my" (now "her") .38 special and .22 pistol. She went on her own and got her CCW, as well as took a self defense course. Like most dads, I worry about her because she is so far from home (took a teaching position in S.C.). She will be home for Easter, and she has already asked to go to the range; hopefully I will be able to get some time off call so we can go and share a "daddy-daughter" moment.:)

It kind of amazes me how I've transformed from an idiot that had no clue as to how the world was run to someone who possesses knowledge and wisdom that can be useful to some end purpose.

.................well, sometimes anyway.:LOL:

For that Tikka get a Limbsaver direct replacement recoil pad. They really help. I have 2 and put them on both.....For ME.

I did put a limbsaver on the Tikka. I was surprised how it took some of the sting off the recoil.

Nothing better than sharing your hobbies with your kids. Just wish one of mine liked fishing too. Taking my son to Africa was the best. He had a ball and constantly talks about going back. He too had no difficulty handling the larger calibers and shot like a seasoned veteran. Just gotta get him to give me a few lessons now. :)

Good job dad (y)
I have a friend that has a 16 year old daughter that has killed more deer than most men I have known. So you may be on to something there! She just doesn't miss!

My daughter is a treasure! She's just a bush kid...no longer..she gets married next week!
I have a spanish hunting client who's two daughters won't get married...they're in their early 30's now... coz they doubt they'd get permission from husbands to accompany dad on his annual hunting trips! Trust me they're both Very Presentable!
Bushmore. It's really about your attitude on the hunt with her that'll make or break the trip... show her why being out there is so special... If the PH takes a 'professional' interest in her you'll have a hunting partner for life!
I'm very sad my daughter is getting married next week... I loose my competition fishing partner to another man! We have so many bush memories and every one of them treasured to the max!
Listen to Heartland's 'I loved her first' !

Hey Royal...do you get the feeling everyone is getting out ahead of us? ;)

By the time I get there, I will be client number 5 at least, this calendar year.

Loodt's a busy fellow about now...

Hey Royal...do you get the feeling everyone is getting out ahead of us? ;)

By the time I get there, I will be client number 5 at least, this calendar year.

Loodt's a busy fellow about now...

I do!!!!

And I find it to be awesome!!!! And in all seriousness, especially this one right here. Not only is Bill a first timer, but taking his daughter to boot. It just doesn't get any better than that....

I will happily go to the back of the bus for that! :A Drive:

Good job dad (y)
Boy that's no joke. My 15y/o daughter has no sympathy what so ever for cute furry stuff in season. She's as much of a killer as I've ever seen.

Have you been around a group of 15 year old girls they are ruthless. Like a pack of dogs ready to pounce on the one that show the slightest sign of weakness. You have to be tough to be that age. They are tougher that we believe.

Have you been around a group of 15 year old girls they are ruthless. Like a pack of dogs ready to pounce on the one that show the slightest sign of weakness. You have to be tough to be that age. They are tougher that we believe.
They're like a pack of wolves on a three legged cat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.