Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Forward from: South African Predator Association (SAPA)

MEDIA RELEASE: 14 January 2016

RANCH LION HUNTING IN SOUTH AFRICA

The hunting of ranch lions in South Africa is open and will continue as usual in the 2016 hunting season.

SAPA realises that the entire hunting industry is currently under severe pressure and that it will stay under pressure for as long as the perceptions of the public are exploited and manipulated by the animal rights organisations. Winning the hearts and the minds of the people for hunting as a legitimate and ecologically responsible human activity is a battle all hunters and conservation-minded people must be prepared to fight together. SAPA has and will continue to stand up against these ongoing onslaughts on hunting,

SAPA firmly believes in the integrity and sustainability of the ranch lion industry in South Africa. Lion hunting is legal and constitutes an important sector of the trophy hunting industry in South Africa.

• Lion hunting is allowed and supported by the SA government

The hunting of ranch lions in South Africa is well regulated by the National Department of Environmental Affairs, together with the provincial conservation authorities. All licensing and permitting of the keeping, breeding and hunting of lions are done strictly in accordance with CITES regulations. As recent as 15 May 2015, the Minister of Environmental Affairs, Edna Molewa, has confirmed the government’s support for the lion industry in a press release by remarking: “There appears to be a deliberate strategy to conflate canned lion hunting with captive breeding of lions. The former is strictly prescribed; the latter is allowed, but strictly regulated and monitored. Lion hunting is allowed in South Africa. It is an integral part of our sustainable utilisation policies.”

NO RESTRICTION OR TERMINATION ORDER REGARDING THE RANCH LION INDUSTRY HAS BEEN ISSUED BY THE SA GOVERNMENT AND NOTHING OF THAT KIND IS EXPECTED

• Accreditation the key to sustainability and responsibility

Complementary to state laws and regulations SAPA has developed norms and standards to guide the actions of its members. To ensure compliance with these norms and standards SAPA has developed a system of accreditation. Lion hunting destinations are formally assessed against these norms and standards by independent assessors. Successful applicants are awarded accreditation for three years and audited regularly in-between.

Currently (January 2016) twelve lion hunting destinations in South Africa have been accredited. These 12 ranches have dedicated their businesses to the legal and authentic hunting of captive bred lions in South Africa. SAPA is in the process of expanding accreditation to several more compliant ranches.

SAPA is very much aware of and seriously committed to its responsibility towards the conservation of lions in the wild. The Association is contributing to lion conservation in various ways, e.g. through its Conservation Fund, funded by levies on lions hunted on accredited lion hunting destination and by contributions of hunting clients.

• The USFWS and the status of the African lion

SAPA is aware of the fact that the final ruling of the USFWS on the status of the African lion, published on 23 December 2015, may have serious effects on the ranch lion industry’s client basis. However, the industry is positive that it will be able to live with the ruling and able to comply with any specific trophy import requirements.

• Lion hunting and the Professional Hunter’s Association of South Africa (PHASA)

SAPA and PHASA are closely related organisations, with members that belong to both organisations. Many PHASA members were, until recently, involved in lion hunting. PHASA’s decision, in November 2015, to distance itself from captive bred lion hunting drastically changed the situation. Their decision was followed by a warning that “…any of its members found to be involved in the hunting or marketing of captive-bred lions would face expulsion”.

SAPA is utterly disappointed by PHASA’s feckless about-turn on the issue of lion hunting. Although it has been expected for some time, it is still a slap in the face of a partner that has shown itself to be trustworthy and loyal in the hunting and wildlife industry.

PHASA obviously did not base its decision on what is good for the lion population of South Africa, but rather to appease uninformed public opinion. In a public statement prior to their 2015 annual general meeting, former PHASA president Hermann Meyeridricks expressed their unease as “the tide of public opinion is turning strongly against this form of hunting” and indicated that PHASA’s volte face on the subject came about “against this backdrop.”

It is SAPA’s position that the right decisions are often at odds with those that are popular. The current campaign against captive-bred lion hunting is just a battle in the war against hunting in general. PHASA has buckled before this onslaught of uninformed social activists. If the hunting of captive-bred lions should be prohibited, it would remove an important node of resistance against the opponents of all forms of hunting. The entire industry and its sustainable benefits for wildlife preservation are at stake and PHASA has taken the side of those who would destroy it. Ironically, in doing so, PHASA has jeopardized its own long-term survival.

PHASA’s humiliating retreat on the issue was done with no small amount of hypocrisy. It now demands that SAPA should prove the “conservation value” of captive-bred lion hunting as well as enlarge minimum hunting areas to 2 000 ha and increase the release period, yet PHASA would not dream of instituting these conditions on the owners of buffalo or rhino which are also bred in captivity to be hunted.

PHASA has expressed their reservations about the ethical treatment of lions bred in captivity in South Africa, but has now relinquished any position from which to advise or influence SAPA in the matter.

Prof PJJS Potgieter

President: SA Predator Association

2016-01-14

E-mail: pieter.potgieter@safricom.co.za
Mobile: 082 451 0762

I'm really not surprised, two organizations with different ideas and not much budging on issues.

Makes some very good points.

From a hunter's perspective, I have never understood the difference between captive bred lion hunting and captive bred buffalo hunting, or, in terms more North American, captive bred deer or elk hunting.

As well, I am fully in agreement that giving in to the antis on this issue will only embolden them to go after the next issue. This is much like certain environmental groups and the energy industry (where I used to work). There is no amount of regulation which will satisfy people who believe we should stop burning carbon altogether, and trying to do so will only cost jobs and revenue for resource owners.

I am not making excuses for poor or unsustainable practices in the hunting (or energy) industries. I am suggesting that we regulate in the best interests of the activity and not to placate those who will not be placated.

I totally agree with @Hank2211. However, I guess it comes down to "population". How close are lions to the "endangered" magic # vs. Buffalo, Deer, Elk, etc. I think it is stupid for people to make this about damn fences. Hell if you have ever been to Texas. I guarantee there more miles of high fences than any other (exaggerated to prove point), so people can hunt/grow/breed wildlife. Never a topic or issue.

any animal shot and killed in a cage or squeeze chute is murder,not hunting and the killer and those responsible for the setup should be fed to a heard of live pigs while still alive!!!!! i would like to think that the lion hunting in question is carried out with fair hunting practices in mind.hope im not naive on this issue.

any animal shot and killed in a cage or squeeze chute is murder,not hunting and the killer and those responsible for the setup should be fed to a heard of live pigs while still alive!!!!! i would like to think that the lion hunting in question is carried out with fair hunting practices in mind.hope im not naive on this issue.

I WOULD AGREE IT IS CERTAINLY NOT HUNTING. That is more of a cattle/feed lot operation. If a lion/lioness is on a 5000 acre game ranch +/-..... trackers used, etc. That's still hunting. Unless I am naïve as well, I think the Lion still has the advantage.

The lion is always going to have the advantage outside of a cage. Unfortunately, some idiot years ago shot a lion right after being released from a cage, on video of course and the anti's have convinced the world that's how all captive lion hunt are. So now we are stuck the bad photos, the tag of being "canned", etc.

In this issue of Game Trails, one writer said that he will no longer used the word "trophy" because of the negative connotations associated with that word. We was hunters have to accept, that the way other folks hunt is hunting too, otherwise there will be nothing left. Don't believe me, The anti's say its not fair hunt with a rifle and then say its cruel to kill with an arrow, because they don't die on the spot.

Yeah.... well, there is a lot of footage of blacks committing crimes, rapes, atrocities..... However, if I label them "all" as that then I am a racist, bigot, stereotyping, etc. I know that comment will cause a $hitstorm. :Blackeye: However, it is to just argue a point. That the Anti's just want to cry foul, just to cry. It is what they do.

So where are we in regards to getting an import tag to bring them back here? That's the $99,000 question.

Anti's just want all hunting to end PERIOD. They don't give a damn about conservation, local impact on the people, or anything else that is sound practice.

So where are we in regards to getting an import tag to bring them back here? That's the $99,000 question.

snowballs-chance-in-hell.jpg

Attachments

• snowballs-chance-in-hell.jpg
    snowballs-chance-in-hell.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 136
Yeah.... well, there is a lot of footage of blacks committing crimes, rapes, atrocities..... However, if I label them "all" as that then I am a racist, bigot, stereotyping, etc. I know that comment will cause a $hitstorm. :Blackeye: However, it is to just argue a point. That the Anti's just want to cry foul, just to cry. It is what they do.
It is what they do because that's where the money is.

Follow the money. If hunting were eliminated tomorrow - all hunting, the whole world became vegans - imagine how many NGOs would be bankrupt. Where would the HSUS get its money? Antis need us to create cash flow for themselves.

When one "hunter" does something wrong, they suggest that that's what hunting is about, and that's how hunters are. We all know that isn't the case - as BWH says, one bad apple doesn't spoil it for everyone. So we need to get the message out that yes, bad things can be done in the name of hunting, and when those things are done, we will deal with them harshly. But some bad guys don't make the activity bad.

I agree with Brickburn, unless there is massive change in USA policy by party leadership, we are screwed.

Hunters have gotten nothing but good news lately ... Let's hope someone can get out a positive message this year and help stop the bleeding.

Honestly you will see those ranch hunts plummet in price. I'm sure they will sell just to do something with the hides and bones but the demand will decrease to new price point to match no exportation to the USA.

Wow. Geezz

Why did the USFWS choose to include Ranch Lions? Obstruction. Indirect ban on imports.
The wording of the directive places the onus on the industry (et al) to provide "peer reviewed" research to substantiate the claim of conservation benefit. Until said research is demonstrated in the manner they would like to accept I don't see Import permits being issued.

Hence the picture provided.

That research would have to be extensive and conclusive! Having Africa provide the data.....never going to happen................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois