Questions about hunting buffalo in Mozambique

Hunt101

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hi gentlemen, first off I have tried to get this information by digging through old post but I haven't found everything so hopefully some of you can help.

A buddy and I are looking at a hunt in Mozambique that is said to be a free range hunt. Questions about this:
1. How does this work are you hunting on government land, or is it a group of land owners who don't have fence lines?
2. On free range hunts is there normally a price increase or decrease based on the animal's trophy appeal?

It is being relayed to us that there would be no fences and really not promise in success. This is exactly what we are wanting, but we don't understand how safari outfits get access to the land and where the fees go for the animals taken. The outfitter has answered many of these but I want to hear from neutral third parties.

How many days should it take to harvest a buffalo in a free range area with no fences, I guess what would be a realistic time frame to have a good chance at success?

What should free range daily rates run while hunting buffalo?

What should a free range buffalo cost?

We will both be after a buffalo but don't wish to hunt together, at least not for majority of the hunt.

Thanks in advance for any information offered.

You will probably be on a large track of land with no fences as Mozambique does not have much if any game farming as of yet. It will probably be remote far from the type of hunting in SA. With camp run from tent or small lodges with power from generator or solar.
Cost is comparable or slightly higher than Zim for buffalo depending on the outfitter. But the feeling is a bitt more remote like the stories of old Africa to me.
You and your friend should be able to hunt from the same camp but apart from one another with separate guides and I would guess you should be able to get a good buffalo in a 7-10 day hunt in a good area you should see buffalo every day and get a good stalk at least once a day

I hunted Mozambique in July and got a buffalo on day 5 but we seen and stalked every day

At the last DSC show, I spoke with the PH that we've hunted with twice in RSA. I asked about a buffalo hunt in Mozambique. The prices he had for buffalo were about the same as RSA but he said that Moz had (a new policy for 2014?) a 14-day minimum for dangerous game. Assuming standard ballpark daily rates for dangerous game of $800-$900/day, that's $12+K just for day rates. Dang! He has hunted Moz for a few years and now have access to over 1 million acres plus he hunts other countries and was prez of PHASA at one point so I have no reason to doubt what he says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.