question regarding traveling with gun received as a gift

bdmd5093

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Several years ago I received as a gift a .270 winchester Model 70 Ranger from a family friend, who has since deceased. It was basically a "hand-me-down," so I do not have any documention, etc., associated with the rifle. I plan on taking it as a second rifle on my trip to South Africa. Is there any thing special I need to do regarding the permit, etc. since this gun was not purchased by me? My primary rifle is a .300 winmag browning x-bolt special hunter, which I purchased myself and have all of the information on. Thanks in advance for your input.

bdmd5093

Just take the rifle and have a US customs form 4457 filled out....

The US customs form 4457 is the form that they use to show ownership to let the rifle into SA and back into the USA...

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_4457.pdf

Call ahead to see if they will let you have the form filled out for there verification...some places do and some do not...

Make sure that you receive the stamp seal to verify the form.

If you need a travel agent look at Lori from Travel Express - www.travelexpressagency.com...she has provide valuable assistance to some members on the forum..

She has the paperwork that you can pre - fill out to speed the process of bringing your rifles into SA.

Thanks guys. I am working with Lori, so I don't know why I had not considered asking her about this before. However, the more I read, the more I am thinking that I may just take one gun -- my .300 win mag, and leave the other. My hunting partner who will be joining me has the same .300 win mag that I do, so really we will already have a backup. Plus, less paperwork, and only have to buy one type of ammo to take!

I think that is a wise choice. Less weight and less hastle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,