Question on Cat hunts

Alaskaman11

Reaction score
So, sorry for the stupid question here, if you are out with your PH getting ready for a cat hunt and he has you shoot say a Gemsbok or whatever walked out in front of you. Do you pay trophy fees on that critter?

Animals for bait might have a reduced price...depends if it is a normal bait animal. They usually don't take trophy animals for bait.

This brings up a good topic. When booking a cat hunt you need to work out these details up front with your PH/Outfitter. A friend returned from a successful leopard hunt (with hounds) in Zimbabwe last summer. His bait bill alone was $5,000! Don't forget to inquire what the average bait bill will be before booking....everyone is different.

Long before you are out hunting this will (or should) be decided.
One of those questions you have to ask.

Every outfitter is different.
As the guys said, nothings usually free.

Everything from Culls or left overs from trophies (Impala, Gemsbok, Beef Calves, Donkeys, Hippo, Buffalo.)
Depends where you are and what the cat likes to eat to.

Usually it is stated before the hunt ever starts what the bait prices are my friend in Zim charges $70.00 for bait animals usually impala and a little more for bigger animal like Zebra and if you want the trophy then you will be charged trophy fee and the meat will be used for bait. the reason is so I've heard is the levy tax put on trophies by the Gov.

That is something you need to make sure you work out beforehand with your PH. Some outfitters will charge your for a package hunt that includes bait. Some
outfitters will not. Usually if you pay for bait, the PH will have you shoot non-trophy game, so you will pay a reduced trophy fee for them. If you were to run across
a trophy quality plains game animal that you were interested in shooting, you could still use it as bait, but would probably pay the full trophy fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.