Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
My buddy is taking his bow to Namibia, and our hunt is for Aug 11-20. He is a very accomplished hunter, having taken well over 150 deer with his bow.

Question: Namibia has a restriction on the weight your arrow/broadhead combo, depending on whether you're hunting big game, medium game, etc. Have any of you guys ever been checked by the authorities to see if your weights are within spec?

I have never been checked.

Here are the requirements for Namibia.

EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS:

• Long Bow - being a straight, one piece or take down bow
    • Recurve Bow - being a bow with curved tipped limbs which bend away from the archer when the bow is held in the shooting position
    • Compound Bow - being a bow which uses a cable and pulleys to increase its power or the velocity of the arrow shot from it, by means of the storing of energy
    • Cross Bow - Illegal in Namibia
ARROWS:

Arrows can be made out of

• Wood, fiberglass, carbon or carbon compounds and aluminum
  • The shaft must have a minimum length of 19.68 inches (500 mm)
BROADHEADS:

Broadheads must

• Consist of at least two fixed cutting blades
  • A minimum cutting edge length and width of 1 inch (26 mm+)

Broadheads may not
  • Have barbed or serrated edges
  • Contain poison or narcotics

Mechanical broadheads are legal in Namibia. Special arrow points such as judo points, bird points or blunt points may be used for the bow hunting of game bird species only, a hunter may take no more than two members of the permitted bird species during the hunt, which will be listed in the trophy permit.

PLAINS GAME:

Namibia offers a large variety of plains game species for trophy hunting. These include the following with the minimum Bow energy restrictions:

Small game
Rock-rabbit (hyrax), Rabbits, Porcupine, African Wildcat, Caracal, Black-backed Jackal, Damara Dik-Dik, Steenbok, Duiker, Klipspringer, Springbok, Letchwe, Blesbok, Bontebok, Bushbuck and huntable game birds.
Energy NOT less than 33.9 joules (25ft/lbs)
Weight NOT less than 22.68 gram (350 grain)

Medium game
Chakma Baboon, Warthog, Black-face and Southern Impala, Nyala, Spotted Hyena and Cheetah
Energy NOT less than 54.24 joules (40 ft/lbs)
Weight NOT less than 25.92 grams (400 grain)

Large game
Gemsbok/ Oryx, Kudu, Red Hartebeest, Roan antelope, Sable antelope, Tsessebe, Waterbuck, Blue and Black Wildebeest, Hartmann's Mountain Zebra and Burchell's plains Zebra, Cape Eland and Giraffe.
Energy NOT less than 88.13 joules (65 ft/lbs)
Weight NOT less than 29.16 gram (450 grain)

There is not one hope in hell I would be going after a Cape Buffalo with a 450 grain arrow. :eek:

http://www.napha-namibia.com/legal-information/bow-hunting/

Last edited:
Thanks Brickburn. I had already checked the regs myself, and am primarily wondering if the enforcement of the regs falls with the outfitter, or who/where?

Have not heard of anyone.

Was not checked !
Glen

They can't catch all the Rhino poachers that area stealing. They are not going to hassle a hunter paying money.
It's the PH who has to follow up this stuff that might get a little interested.

If your buddy has been hunting deer etc in North America his set up is likely going to be fine. Hope he has fun on his hunt.

If you look under "Safari Planning" then Hunting by Country" then "Namibia hunting Information" it will let you know what the requirements are for minimum set up for your bow, arrows, etc. per size game you wish to take.
With that being said, Brickburn states that these KE's and arrow weights are to be "less than" the numbers written above?
I also wouldn't dare to take any large game with a less than reliable arrow weight and/or lower KE.
Just curious, where did you get this information Brickburn so that the rest of us can get more insight?
Thanks,
Double Lunger
PS I just ordered 200gr single beveled broadheads so for them to say "two fixed cutting blades" kinda scares me

http://www.napha-namibia.com/legal-information/bow-hunting/

This is the website where I found my information. I would imagine that when they say"energy less than" and "arrow weight less than" I would hope that it's some sort of typo. Otherwise we'd have much confusion on hunters bringing too light of a set up for fear that a heavier set up would be illegal.
Any one have any insight on this typo?

Thanks much

If you look under "Safari Planning" then Hunting by Country" then "Namibia hunting Information" it will let you know what the requirements are for minimum set up for your bow, arrows, etc. per size game you wish to take.
With that being said, Brickburn states that these KE's and arrow weights are to be "less than" the numbers written above?
I also wouldn't dare to take any large game with a less than reliable arrow weight and/or lower KE.
Just curious, where did you get this information Brickburn so that the rest of us can get more insight?
Thanks,
Double Lunger
PS I just ordered 200gr single beveled broadheads so for them to say "two fixed cutting blades" kinda scares me
Given the way it's worded above that I'm sure it was meant to "must not have" as a heading before listed out the values. Those are the minimums that are shown. As for the 2 fixed cutting blades, that is referring to a blade on each side of the head, not if it is single or double bevel. They just don't want someone using something like a knife blade with only one side sharpened as a broadhead.

Given the way it's worded above that I'm sure it was meant to "must not have" as a heading before listed out the values. Those are the minimums that are shown. As for the 2 fixed cutting blades, that is referring to a blade on each side of the head, not if it is single or double bevel. They just don't want someone using something like a knife blade with only one side sharpened as a broadhead.

Makes sense to me my friend

Any one have any insight on this typo?

I have modified the TYPO in my earlier post. I have added the word NOT.

Good catch, by they way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!