Question for Dangerous Game Professional Hunters

I see no problem with it, you can see plenty of youtube videos showing people that shoot single shots VERY FAST. I think it is important first of all for a client to know how to handle his weapon. I frankly think everyone should have a one shot, one kill mentality, it would prevent a lot of lost animals and follow ups. But I also think everyone should be prepared to follow up with shots until the animal is down. A lot of stuff in life is practice and knowing what to do when the situation changes.

Tim,

Absolutely nothing wrong with a single shot rifle on Dangerous Game. I personally like the Ruger #1 a lot... not as much as my LOTT... But a lot nevertheless...

If you're PH is going to start blasting away at your animal after your shot you've probably picked the wrong PH. The experienced PH's I know (incl. myself) will ONLY fire if the first shot was obviously not placed well and if there is a risk of the animal getting away or hurting someone.

The other PH's who have responded on this thread gave sound advice. It is extremely unlikely that a Buffalo will charge after the first shot. Their natural instinct is to run away from you - not towards you.

Lastly; I know folks that can reload their #1's almost as quickly as what most can recycle a bolt action rifle.

I see no problem with it, you can see plenty of youtube videos showing people that shoot single shots VERY FAST. I think it is important first of all for a client to know how to handle his weapon. I frankly think everyone should have a one shot, one kill mentality, it would prevent a lot of lost animals and follow ups. But I also think everyone should be prepared to follow up with shots until the animal is down. A lot of stuff in life is practice and knowing what to do when the situation changes.

Enysse,

I totally agree and could not've said those things better.
My very best good friend, Jeff Loffert uses various caliber Ruger single shots quite a bit and I have seen him training with them at the range, including reloading very swiftly from a stock cuff that he made from leather.
He's perhaps not quite as fast as he is with a bolt gun but mighty fast at any rate because without a stopwatch, I don't see how one could tell much difference.
Be that as it may, of the animals I have seen him sack with that 9.3x74R loading, (both a Ruger #1 and a Simpson drilling) he has put them down with the first shot, including a huge eland bull with the rifle barrel of that drilling.
Speed of reloading is fine, but accuracy is usually final.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Speed of reloading is fine, but accuracy is usually final.

I think the one shot, one kill motto would help a lot of people. ACCURACY IS FINAL.

No problems with a Ruger #1 on dangerous game.
As a PH I was nervous guiding my first buff with a 1 shot rifle. As has been pointed out here though it works just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross