Question about the "muzzle brakes"

you might want to stand behind me , in Zambia , bud.............

ses dont tell me you are becoming a wuss :(;)
Why yes, yes I am.:p Not for the .338 mind you, but for the bigger bad boys, oh yeah.:eek:

you must be on your way now ,ses ?

Not quite. Leaving tomorrow, be in SA on Wed.

S.

Not quite. Leaving tomorrow, be in SA on Wed.

S.
id think , junior sestopleman, would be kinda excited right about now ,then .
have a ball ....
don't forget to pack that muzzle brake, young fella ,ha ha hA

That's a huge change! Don't know if that's at all normal but you could simply just take off the stupid brake and re-sight/adjust without it and go hunting. I have a Ruger .338 too and never found the recoil so fierce that a brake was needed, even from the bench. I do however wear a PAST recoil shield when doing load development for the kickers.

Amen.

Spike T, to answer your questions the .338 is well known for its scope eating qualities and I didn't put the brake on. It was on the rifle when I bought it, some Elk hunter put the brake on it.

Spike T, to answer your questions the .338 is well known for its scope eating qualities and I didn't put the brake on. It was on the rifle when I bought it, some Elk hunter put the brake on it.

jeez those elk hunters..;):D

throw it away, why do you need a brake on a .338 or any other rifle????????:censored:

Agreeing with Spike.t here (throw away the muzzle brake before it damages your hearing):

I will admit that I've had a somewhat tender shoulder after an afternoon at the range, firing some rifles with fellow large bore enthusiasts but, it is from firing many rounds in one session.

Likewise, I've fired a number of decent kickers, including an original Pre-War, London built .600 Nitro with full house loads and miraculously, my shoulder did not fly off, nor did I go blind.

If your rifle recoils too heavily, (a couple of mine surely do) load it down in velocity and then over time, train with it toward working your way back up to where you want it to shoot.

Or perhaps add some weight to the stock or both.

Parting Shot:
Pressing the rifle butt slightly out of the "shoulder pocket" and slightly onto the chest muscle helps take some of the bite out of recoil.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Make your rifle sling your friend. Drop your elbow into the loop, actually just above your elbow. Wrap your forearm one time through the loop and grab the forearm like you would normally. This will require a fair amount of slack in your sling.

By doing this, you will essentially "tie" the forearm of the rifle to your wrist and at the same time create a pressure point just above your elbow. This will in turn greatly help limit muzzle jump and keep recoil of the rifle moving more backwards keeping the recoil pad more square to your shoulder. Guarantee you this does wonders for felt recoil reduction. It also makes it virtually impossible for you to lose control of the rifle's front end.

Secondary result it also will allow you to get back on target just a bit quicker. I've been doing this shooting my .458 B&M and it works well. It also gives a more stable platform when shooting making me that much more accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!