Quality of Hornady brass for reloading..

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
A dealer has brought in some of the DG ammo here in Norway and the prices are very competitive..

Do any of you have any reloading experinence with this brass..?

I have used it in 30 06 reloading, seems to be fine. Not sure who makes it for Hornady, probably rem or win, with a different head stamp.

I have used Hornady brass in 300 H&H. I have 50 new, prepped cases sitting on the bench just waiting for me to make my mind up (74gr of IMR 7828 or 72gr of Reloader 22). They will be going to the Eastern Cape in May.

Only difference I see is the Hornady brass is obviously annealed.

Capacity of the Hornady and Remington cases I have are identical to one-another.

All brass is annealed, some just polish out the colors. Hornady brass seems to be as good as any. Used it in all manner of rounds and holds up at least average.

Hornady brass is made in house. It is better than Remington & Winchester. Winchester is better than Remington.
The best brass of all is Lapua, but they don't make belted cases. Norma makes the best belted cases.

My preferred brass has always been Winchester, with Rem second or third. I only purchase Hornady brass usually because its the only brass around for some of the weird cals, like .404Jeff. In semi auto rifles Win has always worked better for me, get better case life over the others. Prvi is pretty good, though S&B tends towards early neck splits. Never used Norma or Lapua, too expensive. Federal I get mixed results, great in pistol cals, so so in rifle cals. Tends to show incipient separation (bright ring) sooner than Win. I have an M1 Garand that only gets new brass when the rims are so battered I cant stand to look at them anymore, Winchester brass. Never had a bright ring or separation in that rifle with Win., ever.

To me Norma makes the best brass with Lapua as good or almost as good where I mostly buy from Lapua because of a better price.
Then it is a toss up between Winchester and Hornady with Winchester maybe having a very slight lead.
Then it is Remington and the rest that I never use anymore as I have no problems to get any of the 4 above.

I have used Hornady unprimed cases for reloading in my .416 Rem Mag and 500x3" Nitro for years now.
Never have I experienced any problems. A bit more expensive, granted, but you get what you pay for!
Very good quality brass, consistent in every way between individual cases and batches.
I don't think you'll go wrong with Hornady brass. Some of my .416 cases are on their 15th refill.
Ready for a trim but no cracking, signs of separation or mouth splitting. But I resize my belted cases so that they headspace on the shoulder NOT the belt.

The 500 Nitro cases should last forever. The round doesn't work on high pressures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg