Push Feed rifles..???

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Sully, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Sully

Sully AH Member

Ive seen comments on the BB here that "push feed rifles" are best left at WalMart..??.. Basically saying they are "no good" and in some cases specifically calling out the Rem model 700.

So whats wrong with them??
  2. Skyline

Skyline AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Life Member, MLOA, DU, MWF, MTA
    There are hunters who believe that dangerous game rifles should be controlled round feed and that push feed rifles should not be used for that purpose. Others will disagree. For non-dangerous game hunting I think most hunters do not have an issue with push feed actions. As far as the Remington 700's go, there are a lot of fans. I am not one of them, just don't care for them. Probably has something to do with the fact that I have guided hunters who had the extractor fall apart on them while we were in the field and I have a close friend who is a 'Model 700 Nut' that has had extractors fall apart three times that I know of.

While there is some merit to the use of CRF actions for DG, the rest is primarily personal likes and dislikes, sometimes influenced by life experience, sometimes not.
  3. Sully

Sully AH Member

Mucho thanks. What Id be using one for would NOT be dangerous game...but the extractor "thingy" is certainly nice to know. Again...much thanks
  4. Skyline

Skyline AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Life Member, MLOA, DU, MWF, MTA
    No problem. A common fix for quite a while to the extractor problem was to have the stock Remington extractor replaced by a gunsmith with a Sako extractor, which are more robust. I have heard the problem with Remington extractors has been fixed, others say it isn't. I honestly do not know where that is at these days with the new production 700's. I know some people have quality control issues with them. Opinions abound. LOL

Cheers!
  5. Calle

Calle AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Jagareforbundet Vasterbotten
    Hunted:
    SA+Namibia
    I have heard that one benefit of controlled round feeding is good if you have to to use the gun up side down with a lion on top of yourself.
  6. One eye

One eye New Member

Member of:
    Michigan Bowhunters, GOA
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    LOL! I guess that is another way of looking at it ;-)
    Dan