PSA: Hunters should be aware of Lyme Disease!

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
As hunters and outdoorsmen we are particularly a vulnerable segment of the population as we spend time outdoors and are more likely to come into contact with ticks who may have been infected and carry lyme disease. This is very serious, I wanted to share a bit of information as education is key to prevention and early treatment. This is definitely a disease where knowing what the risks and symptoms are as well as advocating for yourself in a medical setting is necessary. I personally know a few people who have been severely impacted by Lyme disease and there are all hunters. Please inform yourself and spread the word to other hunters.

Lyme disease spreading ticks now in almost half of US counties: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...ost-half-of-us-counties/ar-BBomBZf?li=BBnb4R7

6 Lyme Disease Myths Debunked - ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/lyme-disease-myths-debunked/story?id=20010794

Last edited:
My oldest son got lyme disease this summer. He didn't have the "bulls eye rash" that is common, but instead had a rash that can only be described as a broken oval that went from his back to his stomach. It faded in and out. One day there, next day faded. I had a feeling it may be lyme as I vaguely remembered my pathology professor talking about the rash, not necessarily being a bullseye. When the doctor saw it she called the nurses in to show them how the rash can also look.

Luckily it was caught in time and the long term effects should be nil.
On a side note, the medications say to avoid sun. If you have to take the meds FOLLOW those instructions. Avoid ANY sun. He was in the sun very little, slathered with high tests suntan lotion, covered, and still got one hell of a sunburn. His hands looked like lobster claws.

Just my experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad to hear that you knew enough to advocate for your son and apparently the doctor seemed to know what to look for… Very glad to had that it was recognized and treated in time, not everyone is so fortunate. All the best to your son.

8 years ago I made the decision to get into hunting. On my very first outing I had no luck with the hunt but I came home with several ticks which was bad enough. But one of those ticks bites turned into a very odd rash similar to what @Biddleman described. I was put on antibiotics and I had no other problems. Catching this early is key. And thankfully that event didn't scare me away from hunting!

Been deer hunting for over fifty years and never even saw a deer tick until two years ago. Got bit twice and went on antibiotics twice. All my hunting and outdoor clothing now gets a healthy dose of permethrin.

For a no chemical approach, Rynoskin works very well. The only downside is that it's like thick pantyhose and slightly see through - guaranteed to give images to the other fellows at camp that they can't unsee!

Im glad to live in AB where our Moose ticks are few and far between and cases of Lyme disease extremely rare, as is the chance of ever actually seeing a tick.

As a taxidermist we are around many ticks. I have not had a deer tick to my knowledge but they are so small. This past fall we were in Northern Minnesota Grouse and Woodcock hunting. My lab had a couple deer ticks so I got a antibiotic as precaution.

Been deer hunting for over fifty years and never even saw a deer tick until two years ago. Got bit twice and went on antibiotics twice. All my hunting and outdoor clothing now gets a healthy dose of permethrin.
my part of ontario is lousy with ticks. I buy permethrin in the states because it is illegal in Canada to use it on clothing. . Health ca

Ditto on early diagnosis. Several years ago I went on an opening weekend (Nov. 1 here in Missouri) quail hunt. Normally, we don't have to worry about ticks by then but it was warm. I picked up a deer tick in an area where I didn't notice until the next day. Bulls eye rash the day after that and antibiotics when I saw my doctor. Fortunately caught in time. I now use the "NATO" method for prevention. DEET on exposed skin and permethrin on my clothing. Haven't been bitten by a tick since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross