Prvi Partizan Ammunition and Gemsbok

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SA Hunters
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi all

I'm planning a hunt in August with a Gemsbok on the cards among others. My question is would the Prvi Partizan 170gr 11Grom for .308 be sufficient for this animal. I've shot a Blue Wildebees with these, but the question is if this round would be good enough especially if the distance could be a factor?

Thanks

.308, I have no experience with this round, but, I would assume that if it took a Wildebeest it would take a Gemsbok with proper shot placement.

Sorry about that .308, went and checked my surplus, I have shot this ammo "PPU ammo" in a long forgotten 338 Lapua (more bark, with just about as much bite as the regular 338 wm). From what I can remember the ammo shot pretty good, as for the effects on game, I have no answer for you. Good luck, if you don't find an answer on how it preforms then maybe find some ammo with a good reputation on game. Again, I am sure if you took a Wildebeest with it in the past, i am sure it would take a Gemsbok.

The Prvi Partizan PPU GROM ammo will work well on Gemsbok.

I would not use their SP ammo on a PG hunt.

I know very little about their ammunition - I have never seen it advertised in the States. After looking at their site, my only caution would be that they do not advertize their soft points, including the Grom, as a "bonded core" bullet. Most companies would make a big deal of that if they were. Looks like a fairly thick shanked, small core design. If they hold together plowing through a shoulder, then ok, but I would be a little hesitant of anything without a known track recort.

Hi there,
I would not recommend hunting with Partizan ammunition at all. While they are very nice for practice (very cheap), I found them not reliable, ie grouping is not very good to say the least. You will have, from time to time, a few shots completely out target, probably due to not so precise powder loading. I use them extensively for target shooting, but would not take the risk to shoot on safari with them. You will be paying a high price for the trip, so worth spending a few extra bucks for good quality ammunition such as Norma Oryx.
Concerning Gemsbok, I have shot one at 270 yards, uphill, with Norma 150 gr in 30.06, so with good ammunition any thing around that weight will work fine with .308
hope this helps.

Thanks everyone

I'll take everything in consideration. The Wildebeest that I shot was at about 115meters. After going through bone, lungs and heart, I recovered the round under the skin on the other side. I weighed it and it maintained 85% of it's original weight. To such an extent that I even recovered the soft lead point. (All perfectly mushroomed)

I was just wondering if it could hold up nicely against a Gemsbok

I've found it does not consistently group well in my rifles, but it is so cheap that I shoot it at the range and then reload the brass. On a positive side I have made some very accurate reloads with their brass in .243, .308, .270 and .30-06.
By the way, Academy Sports uses Privi Partisan to load their house brand "Monarch" ammo. It is very cheap. For example, .30-30 at $9 per box, .30-06 and .270 are $14 per box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg