AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) South Africa (6) Argentina
Quick question for those of you who are not South African and took a Professional Hunter exam in South Africa. Were you allowed to sit the exam even though you were a non-resident?

Yes. (I was)

Interesting. I had never thought of taking the course but find the thought intriguing. Where does one find a PH course?
Randy

brickburn , how long was the course.So as of right now if you had a place to hunt you could hunt on your own.

might mean a trip to SA for the course, at least that way you know you would be taking the same style courses as the PH's in the country.
ECGMA

Thanks for the link!

looks like you cant hold a PH licence as a non resident so that answers whether or not you could do a DIY hunt
Professional hunter permits may only be issued to SA citizens/permanent residents or persons in possession of a work permit in terms of the Aliens Act.

brickburn , how long was the course.
Most PH courses in RSA are ten or twelve days.

So as of right now if you had a place to hunt you could hunt on your own.

There are whole hosts of laws that relate to hunting in RSA and the various provinces.

Property ownership in RSA confers particular rights and obligations.
Certificates of Adequate Enclosure on properties confer other rights and obligations.

A PH designation is not required for a land owner to hunt his own property, nor is being accompanied by a PH required.

Hope that answers the question.

Interesting. I had never thought of taking the course but find the thought intriguing. Where does one find a PH course?
Randy

Right here.

PH Training & Schools

I spent the time and energy to learn. Most international hunters spend less time on a hunting trip than I spent in school.

I wanted to understand, not just shoot stuff.

It is a very large investment of time and resources. It was demanding and well worth it for my part.

I studied with David Sutherland up in Limpopo.

looks like you cant hold a PH licence as a non resident so that answers whether or not you could do a DIY hunt
Professional hunter permits may only be issued to SA citizens/permanent residents or persons in possession of a work permit in terms of the Aliens Act.

There are a host of technicalities on the subject. Too bloody many to get into here.
No, PH licenses are not generally accessible.

So, if I understand it correctly you can take the course, write the exam, but then would require the work permit. I am interested in the course as I have seen others on here take it. As I am close to retirement from the Army (Canadian) there are funds available for training post military career, but they must lead to some sort of certification (hence the exams question). I really don't see myself becoming a PH, just would like to gain the experience.

So, if I understand it correctly you can take the course, write the exam, but then would require the work permit. I am interested in the course as I have seen others on here take it. As I am close to retirement from the Army (Canadian) there are funds available for training post military career, but they must lead to some sort of certification (hence the exams question). I really don't see myself becoming a PH, just would like to gain the experience.

You're set man.
You can take the course, write the exam(s) and if you manage to pass you'll get a Course Completion certificate.
Skip the licensing and you will just be a smarter international hunter. :)

I too retire very shortly and would be interested for a variety of reasons. Thanks for the link.

Brickburn, thanks for the info, off to school I go ....

Your head is going to hurt. Have fun.

You need to go soon. The Government wants the hunting industry to get professional body status, kinda like the electricians or estate agents etc.

They want to turn the course into a Diploma, so will be a year long diploma with a years practical experience etc, not sure of the new rules or when things will change but it's all in the pipeline.
Dave

Yes you can, but without a residency and a work permit, you can't operate as a PH
regards
Dave

You have to pass a Mental Health test as well.

You have to prove you are absolutely NUTS ...... (to want to work that hard).

I too retire very shortly and would be interested for a variety of reasons. Thanks for the link.

Brickburn, thanks for the info, off to school I go ....

Randy and Rod,
Since you have both hunted with me, drop me an email. I can set it up for you. Same school as I attended in our area.

Cheers,
Marius

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg