Pro-Trophy skinner

Knife Hunter

Reaction score
Member of
None
I am new to AfricaHunting.com, but I would like to find out if any of you have heard about the Piranta Pro-Trophy skinning knives by Havalon Knives. The knives use replaceable scalpel blades, and based on conversations with friends and fellow hunters, these knives do just as they claim. I want to get other opinions. Their website is www.havalon.com.

Knife Hunter, I don't know much about them.

Welcome aboard.

nd

Hi knife Hunter,

Welcome to the forum , lots to gather here you will enjoy being a member , I have one of these Piranta Predator "Timber Wolf" . Amazing blades .

Monish

Hi knife hunter, welcome to AH.

I started using the Piranta's last season in our buffalo camp for processing Trophy capes and thus far have found them excellent for this purpose.
You get the surgical sharpness of a scalple blade for the finicky jobs such as splitting ears, lips and nose cartlidge with the control of a small knife.
We also use them as the main de-fleshing tool to remove all fat and meat from the capes.

They are small enough to be very handy to cart around and yet a handy enough size to still maintain control where you need to cut. I got the blaze orange handle ones as these are harder to loose if you drop one in the grass, or at night.
They do not have the physical strength (in the blade) to make the initial cape cuts on something as thick as a buffalo hide, but this is irrelevant for me as I use a proper knife for this work.
Think of the Piranter as more of a detail, or finishing tool for de-fleshing meat and fat from hides, removing cartlidges in ears, splitting lips and nose etc.
At this stage the replacement blades are relatively cheap enough to replaced frequently so that you can have razor sharpness throughout the caping proceedure. About 2 blades per finished buffalo cape.(buff are tough on any blade).
They would also be an excellent tool for dressing/skinning smaller game where the blade strength is not required.

One "handy" ( pardon the pun ) tip, is USE A KNIFE PROOF GLOVE with these knives !! I'm not typing this response with only three fingers for no reason !!!

If you want further details, feel free to p.m me.

Welcome again,
PaulT.

I have used the knives the last 2 years, they are awesome, especially for boning animals out and caping animals. I can cape and debone a whitetail deer with one blade....then I change it out even though the blade is still not dull...because they are cheap and it easier to cut with a very sharp blade.

Practice very carefully, changing the blade...it's not hard...but there is a technique.

Enyess, to add to your reply above, please also note that you can maintain a blade sharpness longer by giving it a quick touch-up on a Smiths ceramic sharpener BEFORE it gets too blunt.This will keep the blades going a little longer, quite a factor considering the number of blades we use in camp each year. I buy boxes of blades in 200 of and usually go through a box per season. Buff and wild Boar capes in particular a very savage on blades.
Regards,
PaulT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg