Prince William & Trophy Hunting

Do you think Prince William is right about hunting?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kenneth McMillan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Norway, Scotland, Canada and Ireland
Just been watching this at home and would like some views. I think this is very interesting.
http://www.itv.com/news/2016-03-15/prince-william-itv-news-poaching-trophy-hunting-rhino-elephant/.

I know Prince William the Duke of Cambridge thought that the whole Cecil the lion thing was unforgivable but that is his view and probably had to say it as he was in front of the camera.

However do you think he is right over trophy hunting.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 2.33.50 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well his uncle (Spencer) owns estates in South Africa where he and his brother visit often. As well, his uncle has a private herd of magnificent black fallow in the UK. He was hunting Balmoral with his grandmothers 7x57 Rigby as a teenager. He 'shoots' (ie shotguns birds, or whatever the poms call it) with his wife.

I'd bet my left family jewell that what he does in private and what he says when representing the 'family business' are often quite different.

I said "yes" but I think he only got it partially correct. I think the professional hunting associations need to reach out to him to show him what they do. Didn't two just die helping in anti-poaching efforts! That cannot be underestimated. He has the money side of it but did not discuss the passion for wildlife that drives all of us. Kenyan wildlife collapsed when professional regulated hunting was removed from the equation.

He may well have his mothers penchant for soft causes. His grandmother and grandfather supported hunting in their younger years as I understand it.
After things calmed down over Cecil it would seem the whole thing was blown out proportion ! Wonder what the a Duke thinks now?

Always be aware of the power of the of the person editing the interview.

Pheroze pretty much nailed it. After witnessing the way the game hunting is professionally managed in Namibia in 2013 as well as observing, in my opinion, the gross mismanagement of the elephant overpopulation in Chobe National Park in Botswana, I believe the preferable way to manage the indigenous species of Africa is through support of the sport hunting fraternity which ultimately will support the people of the region through responsible and accountable policies. Like it or not, the only way to guarantee the coexistence between wildlife and humanity is through the responsible management of the wildlife assets to the benefit of both the species and the people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg