Press release by the organizers of Dortmund Show in regards to "canned Lion Hunts"

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Here is a press release by the organizers of Dortmund Show in regards to "canned Lion Hunts".

Here is the English translation of German text done by Google translate. Original German text below.

Press Release

Marketing of canned lions and Frankenstein-breeding on the Jagd & Hund not allowed

November 16, 2015, Dortmund (Landesjagdverband NRW, Westfalenhallen Dortmund GmbH). The launch bred lions in gates ("Farm-lions, captive bred lions") has nothing to do with the essence of hunting and adds to the reputation of hunting and hunters in the public serious damage. In this respect, such services do not match the Jagd & Hund Fair.

The same applies to the launch of artificially bred color variants and mutations of wild animals, which do not occur in the wild ("artificial breeding").

The Landesjagdverband NRW as a conceptual sponsor of Jagd & Hund Fair and the Westfalenhallen Dortmund GmbH as organizer dissociate from practices such as the launch of "captive bred lions" and "artificial breeding", because such behaviors with the ethical standards of the hunt not to are negotiable.

Then, the exhibition management has the safari supplier pointed in a coordinated with the Association of writing on the Jagd & Hund and you are encouraged not to offer such ethically questionable practices at the fair in 2016, if they are ever included in the portfolio of the issuer as part of a voluntary self-restraint ,

At the same time announced to examine the terms and conditions with respect to a change intensively to possible not to allow such offers in the future on the Jagd & Hund Fair.

Dortmund, November 16, 2015

Press Contacts:

Landesjagdverband Nordrhein-Westfalen e.V.
Andreas Schneider
Gabelsbergerstraße 2
44141 Dortmund
Tel.: 0231/2868-810
Fax: 0231/2868-888
E-Mail: aschneider@ljv-nrw.de

Westfalenhallen Dortmund GmbH
Dr. Andreas Weber
Marketing- und Unternehmenskommunikation
Telefon: +49 (0) 231 1204-514
Fax: +49 (0) 231 1204-724
Andreas.Weber@westfalenhallen.de

Original German text.

Presse Information

Vermarktung von Gatterlöwen und Frankenstein-Zuchten auf der Jagd & Hund nicht erwünscht

16. November 2015, Dortmund (Landesjagdverband NRW, Westfalenhallen Dortmund GmbH). Der Abschuss gezüchteter Löwen in Gattern („Farm-Löwen, captive bred lions“) hat mit dem Wesen der Jagd nichts zu tun und fügt dem Ansehen von Jagd und Jägern in der Öffentlichkeit schweren Schaden zu. Insofern passen solche Angebote auch nicht zur Messe Jagd & Hund.

Gleiches gilt für den Abschuss künstlich gezüchteter Farbvarianten und -mutationen von Wildtieren, die in freier Wildbahn überhaupt nicht vorkommen („artificial breeding“).

Der Landesjagdverband NRW als ideeller Träger der Messe Jagd & Hund und die Westfalenhallen Dortmund GmbH als Veranstalter distanzieren sich ausdrücklich von Praktiken wie dem Abschuss von „captive bred lions“ und „artificial breeding“, weil solche Handlungsweisen mit dem ethischen Anspruch an die Jagd nicht zu vereinbaren sind.

Darauf hat die Messeleitung in einem mit dem Verband abgestimmten Schreiben die Jagdreiseanbieter auf der Jagd & Hund hingewiesen und íhnen nahe gelegt, solche ethisch fragwürdigen Praktiken auf der Messe 2016, falls sie überhaupt im Portfolio der Ausstellers enthalten sind, im Rahmen einer freiwilligen Selbstbeschränkung nicht anzubieten.

Zugleich wird angekündigt, die Teilnahmebedingungen im Hinblick auf eine Änderung intensiv zu prüfen, um derartige Angebote für die Zukunft auf der Messe Jagd & Hund möglichst nicht mehr zuzulassen.

Dortmund, 16. November 2015

Presse kontakte:

Landesjagdverband Nordrhein-Westfalen e.V.
Andreas Schneider
Gabelsbergerstraße 2
44141 Dortmund
Tel.: 0231/2868-810
Fax: 0231/2868-888
E-Mail: aschneider@ljv-nrw.de

Westfalenhallen Dortmund GmbH
Dr. Andreas Weber
Marketing- und Unternehmenskommunikation
Telefon: +49 (0) 231 1204-514
Fax: +49 (0) 231 1204-724
Andreas.Weber@westfalenhallen.de

We already have a (extensive) thread on canned lion hunts, and I don't want to belabour that issue again here.

But I think it might be worthwhile to focus on the "captive-bred" issue, which seems to be what these people are against - something that has nothing to do with the "essence" of hunting (whatever that is).

Can we have a definition of "captive-bred", please?

Does it include any lion born and raised within the confines of a fenced area, no matter how large (an "owned" lion)?

Does it include any animal bred for certain traits, like sable and buffalo (more "owned" animals)? If it does, then I would suggest that nearly all of the buffalo shot in South Africa would be "captive-bred."

Does it include any animal born and raised within a fenced area (all "owned" animals)? If it does, then I would venture to suggest that more than ninety percent of the "wild" game in South Africa and Namibia would qualify as "captive-bred."

Is it the fences which matter? Is it the ownership of the animal that matters? Or does this whole discussion only apply to lions (for the time being)?

Hank- I think you hit the nail on the head with the above statement..I'm afraid it is a pretty slippery slope we are hiking down that won't end well.

Your right Hank, the definition is vague. In my opinion the show then objects to just about every safari operator who has a fenced ranch where captive breading occurs. Very few safari operators have unfenced areas in which to hunt. When I first started looking into my first safari I was hell bent on hunting in an unfenced area. Yes there are companies who offer unfenced hunts but they are far and few between. Ok then where does it end? First Africa and then New Zealand? As some of you here know 99% of hunts in that country are fenced and captive breeding occurs on just about all species .

This is the game plan of the anti hunting community. We cannot allow this to happen. Where are those " first for hunters guy's "? Where's DSC on this? Again no voice for hunters rights. Hunting " raised lions" may not be " ethical" for some but it is legal. It is an option for hunters who cannot afford the other option. Another option may be that a portion of money from each " canned " lion hunt be donated to saving wild Lions, show the anti hunting community that we do care, we all know we do but our reputation is we are just cold blooded killers.

I hate to say it again but we need a high powered PR firm to represent us . Let SCI stay in Washington a push these damn politicians to not succumb to the pressure.

Hank, H50, and Johnny, I agree with everything you posted. We as hunters and Outfitters need to get of our high horses and quit raising a fuss about the hunting of one species of "raised" animal (lion) while at the same time condoning and/or participating in the hunting of a great variety of other species of "raised" animals (just about all the animals within the high fence South African game farms).

We are playing right into the hands of the anti-hunters and we are not doing ourselves any good with the rest of the non-hunting public.

Like H50 posted, "it is a pretty slippery slope we are hiking down that won't end well."

Those selling Africa may soon be able to save themselves the expense of traveling to "those" shows and focus more on other methods of reaching customers.
I've heard of this tool called the Internet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois