Predator Hunting

Please post some tips to hunting small predators, such as jackal.

I have been trying to hunt jackal on my farm, but they have become very smart over the years. I have been thinking of useing calls and/or decoys, but i dont know which ones to use. Please let me know what you have used or are using.

Thanks,

Oli

Oli,

1st we have to determine what was your normal way of hunting jackal...

After determining this I can maybe assist you with making some changes in tactics and equipment to get rid of the "smart" (skelm) jackal.

All the best.

Any know of any stores in Pretoria or Jnb where I can buy good trail cams and predator calls?

Thanks for the help,

Oli

Oli,

1st we have to determine what was your normal way of hunting jackal...

After determining this I can maybe assist you with making some changes in tactics and equipment to get rid of the "smart" (skelm) jackal.

All the best.

Well so far I have only been hunting jackal by chance, when I see one I would shoot it... I have tried to hunt them with a CD making jackal calls, but my neighbour also used this CD, and hunted them with it, so im not sure if they are used to the CD now

Thanks,

Oli

Where are you situated Oli?

In the Limpopo Province close to Naboomspruit.

Any know of any stores in Pretoria or Jnb where I can buy good trail cams and predator calls?

Thanks for the help,

Oli

Theres a bow shop in PTA The Bow Shop that sell trail cams, I bought my predator caller in Polokwane at Arms for Africa

I had excellent results using an electronic call with remote speakers. We called in three jackals one afternoon.
221d1241835330-predator-hunting-jackal-01.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all:

I tried a mouth blown, jackrabbit distress call in Namibia last year. I've had very good luck with it in the U.S. but didn't have anything come in when we tried it in the afternoon. In fact we cleared out a water hole of young warthogs when i begin calling. The PH thought it was way too loud and didn't sound like anything he had ever heard.

I've used mouth-blown, U.S.-made varmint calls along both sides of the Limpopo, near Kimberley, and in KwaZulu Natal and brought in jackals virtually every time I called.

Bill Quimby

Oliver, Get yourself a foxpro fx3 and then the calling CD from Heinrich Funck. Then just change the original sounds from the unit with the local sounds from the cd. Called in 6 the other night. Works like a bomb!

Marius,

I've searched the web but have been unable to find a source for the 'Heinrich Funck' CD you mention above. Can you provide a link or contact information for this CD?

Colin

Colin ,
You can find his site at: Jaracal Animal Damage Control
Click on forum at the bottom and join there to get access to all the good stuff.You I am sure you will be able to order it from somewhere there. Otherwise if you dont come right , give me a shout. I will organise it for you.

Cheers

Marius,

Thanks, I'll get an email off to him.

Colin

Good stuff guys. I am going to throw in a couple rabbit in distress calls for my trip as I want to take a jackal while there. I love to call coyote's and bobcats in the state's and am anxious to try it in RSA.

It is funny how things work. I am currently shopping for a FOXPRO game call as we speak. I really want to take it over this year with some africa sounds downloaded to it. The search for a gently used one continues!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you