Post Hunt Travel with Edged Weapons/ Tools

rooihond

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
AH Members,

I have a hunt approaching in May in the RSA. After the hunt, friends will be transporting my bow back to the USA. Rifles used will be hired and will stay in country. I intend to continue travel to Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Botswana.Does anybody have any advice not already offered in previous threads? I see that most travel to their hunt then straight home or items are shipped back with the taxidermy crate. I have receipts for bow so that my friends don't have to deal with possible duty fees.

A question that my Google skills have not been able to answer clearly is regarding knife laws and regs in Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Botswana. I would like to keep my hunting knife, folders, and multi-tool with me during travel. It appears to be legal to possess but what, if any, are the carry restrictions? All would be kept in my unassuming day pack and all camo is being left at home or shed in the RSA.

Thanks!

I never had an issue with knives I carried in Botswana, Namibia or RSA. Multitool and pocket knife and Havalon.

Of course, no one asked and I was not asking either.

I only worried about getting them into the checked bags when jumping on planes.

Took me a minute but here you go on Zimbabwe

CRIMINAL LAW (CODIFICATION AND REFORM) ACT

39 Dealing in or possession of prohibited knives
(1) In this section
é›»eal in? in relation to a prohibited knife, means sell, hire or offer, or display or advertise for sale or hire, or
lend or give to any other person, a prohibited knife;
èŸrohibited knife means a knife
(a) which has a blade
(i) which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes known as a ålick knife? or
(ii) which is released from the handle or sheath of the knife by the force of gravity or the
application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of
a button, spring, lever or other device, sometimes known as a å µravity knife? or
(iii) which is
A. released from the handle or sheath of the knife manually; and
B. locked in the open position by means of a button, spring, lever or other device; and
C. released from the locked open position otherwise than solely by manual pressure on
the blade;
other than a trimming knife the blade of which does not exceed thirty millimetres in length; or
(b) which is declared in terms of subsection (2) to be a prohibited knife.
(2) Where the Minister considers it necessary in the public interest to do so, the Minister may, by notice in a
statutory instrument, declare any knife or class of knife to be a prohibited knife for the purposes of this section
and may, in like manner, withdraw any such declaration.
(3) Any person who deals in, or has in his or her possession, any prohibited knife shall be guilty of dealing in
or possessing a prohibited knife, as the case may be, and liable to a fine not exceeding level six or imprisonment
for a period not exceeding one year or both.
(4) The court convicting any person of a contravention of subsection (3) may order that any knife which
formed the subject of the charge shall be forfeited to the State.

Botswana

Botswana e-Laws

Penal Code

227. Acts intended to cause grievous harm or prevent arrest

Any person who, with intent to maim, disfigure or disable any person, or to do some grievous harm to any person, or to resist or prevent the lawful arrest or detention of any person-

(a) unlawfully wounds or does any grievous harm to any person by any means whatever;

(b) unlawfully attempts in any manner to strike any person with any kind of projectile or with a spear, sword, knife, or other dangerous or offensive weapon;

Namibia

The High Court :: Criminal Procedure Act

Can't find anything.

BRICKBURN,

Thank you! I came across some of this info but thought that I may be missing something. This info will ease some of my concern about difficulties. Discretion will always be observed.

I was missing something. The definitions included in the Zim regulations are a bit vague and leading me to leave my regular folder behind. It is unassisted when opened but held open by what may be construed as a lever or other device( framelock). When closing the blade, the framelock must be disengaged, which is more than sole manual pressure on blade. Come to think of it, my multi-tool is also opened manually and held open by a lever. I will stick with my fixed blade hunting knife for all purpose use.

Thank you, again!

BRICKBURN,

Thank you! I came across some of this info but thought that I may be missing something. This info will ease some of my concern about difficulties. Discretion will always be observed.

Welcome.

AH Members,

I have a hunt approaching in May in the RSA. After the hunt, friends will be transporting my bow back to the USA. Rifles used will be hired and will stay in country. I intend to continue travel to Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Botswana.Does anybody have any advice not already offered in previous threads? I see that most travel to their hunt then straight home or items are shipped back with the taxidermy crate. I have receipts for bow so that my friends don't have to deal with possible duty fees.

A question that my Google skills have not been able to answer clearly is regarding knife laws and regs in Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Botswana. I would like to keep my hunting knife, folders, and multi-tool with me during travel. It appears to be legal to possess but what, if any, are the carry restrictions? All would be kept in my unassuming day pack and all camo is being left at home or shed in the RSA.

Thanks!

i think this is another case of worrying too much about things that most people have never even thought about. if you arent running around waving them about there will be no problem. a large percentage of people i know in zambia or zim carry a leatherman type tool or knife on their persons on a regular basis......and the villagers etc carry axes or machetes so you will have blade length envy...;)

i think this is another case of worrying too much about things that most people have never even thought about. if you arent running around waving them about there will be no problem. a large percentage of people i know in zambia or zim carry a leatherman type tool or knife on their persons on a regular basis......and the villagers etc carry axes or machetes so you will have blade length envy...;)

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure of the definition and language used in the legislation. I do my best to tread lightly and maintain a low profile wherever I happen to be. It looks particularly bad when you appear to be the "Arrogant American" that didn't bother to check the rule book. I will try not to be too envious but will try to purchase a handcrafted blade, spear, or arrow if I can get my hands on one!

the other thing is you personally wont need a knife on the hunt as the trackers and skinners will have their own and do that side of things. in reality a leatherman is all you will need for the odd thing fruit, biltong etc. i would say take your hunting knife if you like having one with and your leatherman , anything else is just added things you wont need. get one of the axes made in zim or zambia by the villagers, as they are what you will see just about everone carrying when they are out and about , their version of a multi tool. where are you going on your multi country tour, have you an itinery or just wandering where you want?

the other thing is you personally wont need a knife on the hunt as the trackers and skinners will have their own and do that side of things. in reality a leatherman is all you will need for the odd thing fruit, biltong etc. i would say take your hunting knife if you like having one with and your leatherman , anything else is just added things you wont need. get one of the axes made in zim or zambia by the villagers, as they are what you will see just about everone carrying when they are out and about , their version of a multi tool. where are you going on your multi country tour, have you an itinery or just wandering where you want?

I was planning on bringing my hunting knife and multi-tool while my girlfriend would be keeping a small folder handy. After the hunt in RSA we will continue up to the Vic Falls area and Chobe. We have a general itinerary set but we will see how it goes. I hear that the Chobe outing can be a bit crowded so we may opt for a Zambezi cruise if conditions allow and safari on the Zim side. That sort of thing. Have to get some fishing in too. I tell you, planning every step of this trip has been a blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!