possible to form 450/400 3" from 450/400 3 1/4"?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by matt85, Apr 12, 2014.

1. matt85

matt85 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

with 450/400 3" brass being nearly impossible to find at the moment I find myself wondering if I could make it from other brass. first and foremost the 450 NE case comes to mind but I quickly found this brass is just as rare. then the 450/400 3 1/4" came to mind, I can actually find this stuff for a reasonable price. now im aware the 450/400 3" and the 450/400 3 1/4" are very different animals. but my question is, can you make 450/400 3" from 450/400 3 1/4" brass? if so could advice me on how?

any other cases that have potential as a parent case?

thank you
    -matt

2. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Matt, I am certainly no historian, nor expert on N.E's but this is simply my take on the references I have on the development of both cartridges.

It appears that the original 450/400 3 & 1/4" was in existence during the black-powder era of the late 1800's (prior to the 3" version),and was in use when the transition from black-powder to smokeless powder was made.

Early on it was found that the new loads, utilizing the then new smokeless powders, created a little too much pressure for the existing 3 &1/4"cases as they had only ever been designed and constructed to tolerate the pressures produced by the previous black-powder loads and caused some rounds to stick in the chambers.
    (this has obviously since been rectified with modern brass cases for the 3&1/4").

It was Jeffery that introduced the 3" version with thicker case walls and a fatter case in order to overcome pressure issues and sticky cases.

Apart from obvious difference in length, this reference to the difference in girth of the two cases is the only reference I am able to find that would suggest that the two cases are not inter-changeable.

3. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    I think if you look hard enough some brass will turn up. MidwayUSA does have Hornady loaded ammo however, buy a couple boxes, shoot them up and bingo, brass! Also Huntington Die Specialties has Bertram formed brass for sale under .400NE, same as the .450-400 I believe. You could ask them. And finally I would contact BELL and see if they have some. I did have some from my Ruger, but I fear I sold it. Good luck!

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    More possibilities.

Cliffs Gunsmithing in Utah list some on their site.

Custom Brass and Bullets.com

Krieghoff International is selling once fired in this cal.

Jamison International

Bertram Brass

5. matt85

i know the 3 1/4" brass isnt interchangeable but what if you shortened it and resized it in a FL sizer? while not the same, the 450/400 3 1/4" is the parent case for the 450/400 3" according to my research. not saying its possible though... i wish i had a case or two to try converting them.

hornady factory ammo is pretty expensive at $100 a box considering i would only buy it for plinking (i do not like the DGX bullet). bertram brass is also expensive at $100 a box (might as well buy hornady factory ammo). having said that i did buy 2 boxes of hornady factory ammo to get me started but 40 pieces of brass will not last many loadings without a decent neck sizing die (i have a neck sizing die on order).

my trouble is im an avid shooter and will easily burn threw brass if i dont have a decent stock to rotate. thankfully the recoil of big bore guns tends to keep the number of shots down in a single session (i try to limit myself to 30). but, i still burn threw about 100 cartridges a month with my 375 H&H.

i will check those other sources when i get off of work.

thanks
    -matt

6. matt85

thanks for the heads up! 40 pieces of once fired brass is a heck of a lot better then nothing.

-matt