Possibilities .243Win caliber hunting.

kristian55

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
crossbownation
Possibilities .243Win caliber hunting.
Please share opportunities caliber .243Win on hunt, the minimum and maximum distance shots, the minimum and maximum weight of the killed animal.
Thanks for your reply.

Hi Kristian55,

I use a .243 in the UK for anything fro fox to fallow bucks. I use Norma 100grn sp factory ammo from 20-300 yrds. It`s too light for big red stags but perfect for our smaller deer species. The .243 is the top calibre in the UK at the moment.
Hope this helps,
Charly

Hi Kristian55,

I use a .243 in the UK for anything fro fox to fallow bucks. I use Norma 100grn sp factory ammo from 20-300 yrds. It`s too light for big red stags but perfect for our smaller deer species. The .243 is the top calibre in the UK at the moment.
Hope this helps,
Charly

Hi Shavesgreen.
Thank you for an answer.
I have for a large beast 30-06 and other calibers.
My littlest caliber it 7.62x39 SKS.
I want to fill a niche between 7.62x39 SKS and 30-06.

Both of my sons have used .243's to hunt mule deer and antelope. i chose this caliber for them to start their big game hunting because of it's light recoil.

I 've been using 243's since 1972.I reload which has given me the opportunity to experiment with all types of bullets and powder.The last 20 years there has been such an increase in bullets that stay intact.I use Barnes bullets in all my big game hunting.85 and 95 gr.triple shock worked the best.The largest animal was a New zealand tahr,2 red deer,fallow deer and chamois.Chamois was 330 yards as the longest on that trip.All were one shot kills,none of the bullets past through,but were recovered and retained 90% of their weight or better.Here in Montana I meat hunt as we are allowed up to 6 deer and 2 antelope a season.Before Barnes bullets I used Hornaday interlock ,they held up pretty good .The Barnes are more accurate in my three 243's.I only use Sierrra's or Speers for praire dogs,coyotes,and foxes.With ideal conditions I put down a Mexician mule deer at 410 yards and used it on Coues deer to about the same range.I would not use the 243 on any bears as I want a calibre big enough to past through and leave a large exit wound to add in tracking.I feel the 243 is an excellent calibre for the beginning shooter and the ammo is easy to find.I have not shot store bought ammo or kept track of the bullets being used in them so a guy could spent a lot of time finding the right brand to work for you.If you are a reloader some powders to try are IMR 4350 and 4064.I also use Reloader 19 with winchester cases and standard primers.If you would like to know what fps they are doing I can supply those answers as I use a Oehler 35p chronograph.

I 've been using 243's since 1972.I reload which has given me the opportunity to experiment with all types of bullets and powder.The last 20 years there has been such an increase in bullets that stay intact.I use Barnes bullets in all my big game hunting.85 and 95 gr.triple shock worked the best.The largest animal was a New zealand tahr,2 red deer,fallow deer and chamois.Chamois was 330 yards as the longest on that trip.All were one shot kills,none of the bullets past through,but were recovered and retained 90% of their weight or better.Here in Montana I meat hunt as we are allowed up to 6 deer and 2 antelope a season.Before Barnes bullets I used Hornaday interlock ,they held up pretty good .The Barnes are more accurate in my three 243's.I only use Sierrra's or Speers for praire dogs,coyotes,and foxes.With ideal conditions I put down a Mexician mule deer at 410 yards and used it on Coues deer to about the same range.I would not use the 243 on any bears as I want a calibre big enough to past through and leave a large exit wound to add in tracking.I feel the 243 is an excellent calibre for the beginning shooter and the ammo is easy to find.I have not shot store bought ammo or kept track of the bullets being used in them so a guy could spent a lot of time finding the right brand to work for you.If you are a reloader some powders to try are IMR 4350 and 4064.I also use Reloader 19 with winchester cases and standard primers.If you would like to know what fps they are doing I can supply those answers as I use a Oehler 35p chronograph.
Hi all.
Thank you for answers and information
"swampdonkey",
You wrote New zealand tahr- maybe, that it is a caliber for mountain hunt?

Kriastian55,
The .243 will definitely fill in the niche but for the small game and which are time at long distance. I have one and use it often for the bushpig, warthog, dikdiks, gazelles etc. It is a good calibre and I enjoy.
Popo

Kriastian55,
The .243 will definitely fill in the niche but for the small game and which are time at long distance. I have one and use it often for the bushpig, warthog, dikdiks, gazelles etc. It is a good calibre and I enjoy.
Popo
Hi Popo.
Yes, I hope that it will be very good failing link between 7.62x39 and 30-06. Cartridge Barnaul with a bullet Hornady 100gr InterLock BTSP is cheap enough .243Win $0.875/unit.
It is now necessary to choose a brand rifle.

I love my Ruger M77 with the heavy 26" barrel. I use it for deer hunting, here in Wisconsin, I use 100 gr. Power Points made by winchestor. They are super accurate in my gun. I shoot in open country and most of my shots are 100 yds. to 350 yds. All are one shot kills and whitetailed deer don't go to far at all. I usually aim for the heart lung area.

I would love to use it in Africa for the smaller antelope...like vaal rhebok, springbok, blesbok, and impala!

Kriastian55,
I use a CZ 550 and do love it. Incidentally I am based in Africa. I guess there could be several good brands in the US (I am assuming you are based in the US).
Cheers.

Interestingly me as will work on a black bear bullet
Hornady 6mm .243 100 gr InterLock BTSP and
6mm .243 100gr InterLock SP.

This information interesting about work of this bullet and on other animals, is distance, maximal weight of animal, opening of bullets on different distances.

I could not in conscience recommend a 243 Win. as a elk or bear rifle. Sure I know they can kill them, but you have to have a perfect shot. The one thing I didn't mention in my previous post, is that most my bullets...didn't exit...they were found on the far side of the whitetail deer. I'm a meat hunter...and prefer minimum meat damage. The deer didn't go far....but they left hardly any blood at all...if any. The Power Point is a soft bullet and mushrooms very fast....great for taking out lungs and heart and liver....but not good for leaving a blood trail.

I think the Hornady 6mm .243 100 gr InterLock BTSP and 6mm .243 100gr InterLock SP are great bullets for deer, impala, blesbok, springbok, mountain rhebok, common reedbuck, duiker, steenbok, klipspringer....but anything heavier...you'd be better served using a 30-06, .308, 7mm, 300 Win. .... something that has a little more mass and power in bullets. Bears aren't hard to kill...but they can be hard to find unless you get some great penetration. I have seen way to many archers hit the shoulder bone and just lose the bear to the woods. Archers are way better off....not crowding the shoulder at all on a bear.

Just my two cents

I could not in conscience recommend a 243 Win. as a elk or bear rifle. Sure I know they can kill them, but you have to have a perfect shot. The one thing I didn't mention in my previous post, is that most my bullets...didn't exit...they were found on the far side of the whitetail deer. I'm a meat hunter...and prefer minimum meat damage. The deer didn't go far....but they left hardly any blood at all...if any. The Power Point is a soft bullet and mushrooms very fast....great for taking out lungs and heart and liver....but not good for leaving a blood trail.

I think the Hornady 6mm .243 100 gr InterLock BTSP and 6mm .243 100gr InterLock SP are great bullets for deer, impala, blesbok, springbok, mountain rhebok, common reedbuck, duiker, steenbok, klipspringer....but anything heavier...you'd be better served using a 30-06, .308, 7mm, 300 Win. .... something that has a little more mass and power in bullets. Bears aren't hard to kill...but they can be hard to find unless you get some great penetration. I have seen way to many archers hit the shoulder bone and just lose the bear to the woods. Archers are way better off....not crowding the shoulder at all on a bear.

Just my two cents

OK!
Eric,
I once again wish you the personal happiness in domestic life.
As you consider, what caliber can deservingly occupy a niche between calibers 7.62x39SKS and 30-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg