Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
fish and game Sci DU
Hunted
USA Canada south africa
I have contacted 6 different outfitters about a hunt . my problem is that only 2 have bothered to give me a quote . I would think that if things were that bad they would at least take the time to make a effort ???? I am new at this, first time to Africa and do not expect cheap , good service and quality are worth paying for.

Milford I am sorry to learn of the poor response you got from some of the guy's out there no excuse for it.

And buy the way you are 100% right one tends to get what you pay for.;)

Milford,
what kind of hunting destination, species priority are you looking at? Drop me an email if there is any way that i could assist. Cheers,

Milford, I'm sorry to hear that, If it makes you feel better it has happen to me a lot. The African Ph's do receive your emails but at times they just don't respond back promply. It doesn't mean they are bad outfitters, just that there communication skills could be better. It is something I remind them at SCI conventions. If you feel communication is important....and I don't blame you at all...find one that responds to your emails or phone calls.

P.S. a lot of times after the deposit is sent you won't hear anything until you land in Africa and meet them at the airport. My advice: Just send emails of the important information to them and cross your fingers. It works.

Plan and simple some are great communicators and others are not.

milford,

Drop me a pm with the type of hunt you are looking for. I can give you some info about several outfitters in Namibia that would treat you right and would love to take you hunting.

Milford,
I am glad to hear that there are outfitters out there that make so much money, that they do not need more business. You can actually be glad that you have not received anything from them, I can assure you that on the hunting side with such outfit you will get a similar response. We do not need to say sorry to you, but actually to the outfitter that lost the opportunity to provide you with a quotation.

But sorry anyway it is sad to hear!

...Milford it's sad to say but it's happened to me also! The only times it did was when I inquired to several outfitters in Tanzania. I stated that last winter & Shallom responded right back & offered services. Granted I fell sick last winter & lost my job, but that positive response gives him top billing if I ever do consider it again. You may even consider several of these guys on this forum. I've seen great trophies from them & I figure if they have time for the rest of us they certainly will have time for you & they will show you a great hunt!!

Calhoun, thanks for the vote of confidence... we are here to serve and if there is anything within our capacity, we will do what it takes to promote ethical hunting and share safari experiences with all like-minded people of all walks of life.

Am in the bush at present conducting a hunt and glad to finally have some busy time in the wilds of Tanzania. Nevertheless, am on email once every other night. More reports will follow after the last hunt of the season and hopefully there will be reports from members of AFRICAHUNTING in the near future. Take care and best wishes on your nexy safari.

resonse

Ok I have had more response here than in a month of trying , one of the above PHs was one of the only reponses I had before and he is on top of my list so far . One thing I did not point out was my side trips and that may have turned some of the outfitters off , my wife and I want to see Kruger and vic falls , hey If I have to fly 28 hours I want to spend some time and enjoy ?? To the others that have responded I will PM you with my hunt list and dates thank you all.

Hi Milford,
I am just back from Tanzania and see your post.
I am hunting Tanzania and Central Africa, feel free to send me a PM. If you look for a hunt in SA and visit Kruger and Vic falls, I can just say ENJOY because it is a very nice country.

There are several companies on the internet offering economical tours of Kruger Park and Vic Falls that include lodging and airfare from Jo'burg. I used one in August 2002 when I took my granddaughter to Africa for a month to visit friends in five countries. I think I paid $1,500 for the two of us for the Kruger/Vic Falls leg, and that included private tours, all transportation, and all meals and lodging for two.

We were picked up at a friend's home in Pretoria and driven to Kruger in a van. Our guide cooked our braais at a guest house in Skukusa, and gave us a private tour of the park that day. We joined a nighttime game drive that night to see leopards and lions. We were driven the next afternoon to a bed and breakfast in Jo'burg, where we spent the night. The next morning, we flew to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. A driver from the Thorntree Lodge in Zambia took us across the bridge and we had sundowners on a pontoon boat on the Zambezi that night. We toured the falls the next day, and flew back to Jo'burg the next day. Things change and costs increase over seven years so I won't list the company's name. I do suggest that you spend some time on Google.

Bill Quimby

The last few months has been the hunting season in southern Africa and I would submit that the fully booked PH's have probably been in the field rather than on the www. If you try from now till the start of March 2010 you will find more at home able to respond.

One of the priorities in our hunting company is to ensure that we answer every email sent to us by a client as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Communications with a possible client is very very important to us.

Try Infinito Safaris and you might be surprised....

I should clarify my comment made. Outfitters and client can be very terrible at returning calls and answering email in North America. So my comment shouldn't suggest PH's in Africa don't answer there email and phone.

Heck, I know plenty of people that never answer their cell phone (they phone screen calls), they don't answer emails or return calls left at there home answering service. So don't despair, anywhere you go...in the world...calls are left unanswered. :humble:

MIlford,
The main reason for a lack of response is the African telephone communications system is down about half the time..I have to deal with that on a daily basis...

Another reason is the really busy Outfitters are probably in the bush hunting and get in on ocassion to answer emails and phone calls etc. The cost of a phone call from Tanzania for instance can be quite expensive also..

That is why we have booking agents to handle all that for you and it costs you nothing to use us..I am not trying to jump in and get your business I am just trying to answer your question as best I can...but I would be glad to set you up with a hunt if you wanted me to as that is what I do....:)

The responses you have on this thread from the Safari companies are companies that as far as I know are very legitamate, and I know most of them personally or by reputation having been in the business for some 40 years or so???.....:)

Hello Milford: I operate a small hunting consulting business in the US, I would be very pleased to discuss with you what you want in a first hunt to Africa and help you get exactly that.

In addition we can offer you discounted airfreight rates on shipping your consignment home to your taxidermist.

Send us an email of what you are thinking of for your hunt.

Goodday Milford
I am really sorry to read about your situation.Please feel free to have a look at my website.Please send me a mail and I would really like to assist you.
Koos

We use a booking agent, although going direct to an outfitter is perfectly acceptable. I use Wendell Reich at Hunter's Quest International in Dallas.

Using a booking agent is well worth the effort. They can smooth over the inevitable rough spots, be it recommending a quality outfitter, booking the hunt, assisting in obtaining permits, and assisting in trophy shipment and other things that will crop up. An agent can also set you up with good side trips to various parks and other interesting destinations.

I also use a travel agent for the airline bookings. This is very valuable in case of a schedule change or unforseen events, like flight cancellations. Most good ones, like Gracy Travel, have 24 hour phone service and great internet service, as well.

Using a booking agent and a travel agent takes a lot of the uncertainity away. We're booking another hunt with Wendell in 2011 and will continue to use him for the forseeable future. We're booking travel through Gracy, as well.

It is true that many Oufitters are busy during the hunting season and as such have limited time available for the internet and replying to emails. But with the exception of the ones who operate only in remote areas / countries, most of them (me included) pretty much have access to the internet most of the time... E.g. when I hunt in Botswana I have to drive for about 1/2 an hour to get to a spot where I have sufficient cell phone coverage to enable me to connect to the internet... and when I do connect I pay roaming cellphone charges which are terribly expensive... Guess what? I drive out to that spot every evening when the clients are settled and I download emails and listen to voice messages / return calls irrespective of the cost involved...

When I hunt in Mozambique where I have no cell / email coverage, I have an auto reply on my email advising customers of such and I have someone at home who can take care of business while I'm away...

Because I need the business? Sure... that too.. but primarily because I know what it feels like to wait for replies to emails sent and because it is good business practice to respond to emails in a timeous manner... It just shows that one cares about his business and creates trust on the part of those interested in doing business with you...

The purpose of this post is not to tell readers how great I am or how terrible others are... It is just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg