Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
I have yet to use the service of plastic wrapping luggage but seeing it more and more and it created a question.

Doest TSA pre inspect luggage that is going to be plastic wrapped or do they randomly pull out luggage remove the plastic to inspect and re-wrap.

For fifteen years I have done it this way. After my guns have been tagged I lock the case and wrap duct tape around the case covering up the locks and latches. I have arrived at my destination a few times with the duct tape cut or torn. This may be due to normal wear and tear or deliberate, either way I have never had anything stolen.
I am simply wondering about plastic wrapping luggage and gun cases opposed to my duct tape solution.
Anyone out there had any experience with this.

Tim416,
If you have access to the service, use it. They really do not charge much at most airports and it works. Johannesburg Int. is known for stuff going missing out of your luggage. I used the service, and must say that it worth it.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

So once your luggage and or guncase is wrapped it stays wrapped until you gather up your luggage at your final destination?

Tim,
Correct. But I bet security over on your side is way better than over here in SA. The luggage I had wrapped stayed wrapped all the way from the RSA to Europe.

I have yet to use the service of plastic wrapping luggage but seeing it more and more and it created a question.

Doest TSA pre inspect luggage that is going to be plastic wrapped or do they randomly pull out luggage remove the plastic to inspect and re-wrap.

For fifteen years I have done it this way. After my guns have been tagged I lock the case and wrap duct tape around the case covering up the locks and latches. I have arrived at my destination a few times with the duct tape cut or torn. This may be due to normal wear and tear or deliberate, either way I have never had anything stolen.
I am simply wondering about plastic wrapping luggage and gun cases opposed to my duct tape solution.
Anyone out there had any experience with this.

I just came back from Namibia via Frankfurt and my bag zipper was popped open and my camera missing even though I had paddlocked the zipper. My advice on Africa is to use a lockable hard case (not a soft zipper style bag) and shrink wrap it where possible before checking in. Also take your essentials in a cabin bag as luggage is notorious for going missing, particularly on connecting flights and its a pain waiting days for you stuff to turn up when you are out the back of beyond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!