Planning first hunt to Africa...where to???

bosskoss

Reaction score
Hunted
Mexico, U.S.A, Canada
Hello all hope your morning is going well, sorry to be redundant but I posted this question on the intro and was told to post it here. I have to be honest I've hunted Mexico, U.S and Canada but I never thought Africa would tweek my interest but over the course of the last 6 months it has and then some! I was curious when planning a first trip to Africa what are the do's and dont's? What country would be the forum suggest would be the first book to on ones first hunting safari? And any other helpful tips. This that would be important to me for my first trip would be safety, quality of game, amount of game, access to a large amount of acres, food and nice accomondations (possibly bring a spouse). Thanks a bunch.

Hello Bosskoss,
Look at the Hunting South Africa Hunting reports forum under Hunting with Liam Urry Safaris (Lots of pics) It answers all you important concerns. My wife was a little hesitant to go but is now looking forward to going back. If I can answer any questions for you PM me. I love to talk Africa.

Like Hagar said, check out the hunting reports, but, don't forget to go to the outfitter section on top of the screen. Figure out what you want to hunt, then contact some of these outfitters. Most if not all will have references right here on AH. Welcome aboard.

Welcome to AH. Just start reading.

I was curious when planning a first trip to Africa what are the do's and dont's?
Look at the safari planner- gives you a good place to start.
Read Hunt reports- you can see plenty of don'ts between the lines.

What country would be the forum suggest would be the first book to on ones first hunting safari?
Namibia and South Africa statistically.

important to me for my first trip would be safety,
Namibia and South Africa. Although, really if you are going to be hunting with a good outfitter they are never going to have you in a position that you are really unsafe(robbery, etc.). Beyond, those found walking in the bush.
You will be treated like very expensive packages that are picked up and dropped off where you want, when you want.

quality of game,
Look at the reports and pictures for this one.
What are you after?
World records or representative animals?
Decide and ask your question. It will change your hunt.
Study and get informed about the species you just have to have and make your list.

amount of game,
Most high fenced properties are going to appear to have, and may indeed have, way more game. (Numbers)
This will always be a debated point. Coming from wide open spaces I was hesitant at first and finally got my head around it. I hunted both low and large property high fence (rifle shot could not traverse it). The fence did not come into play directly at any point in time.
The biggest issue will be how the properties are managed. Good habitat and proper game numbers will determine the quality and number of critters.

access to a large amount of acres,
"Access" Not a good word to use. I just ran into a guy at a show yesterday that "could get me anything, anywhere". Evidently he has "access". Guess how much I liked that answer!!! (It was driven by a little old lady to church on sunday)
If you are willing to drive you will have access to a lot of properties with different species on them, specifically in RSA. Obviously, all species are not on one property but many larger properties have a large selection.
What is big enough for you?

food and nice accomondations (possibly bring a spouse).
They will all feed you. Typically more than you will ever want to eat, at a lodge setting.
Do you mean "nice" $2500 per day or "nice" $450 per day? There is a huge range on offer. Again, look at the pictures of the lodges and accommodation provided on the web and in reports.
I have seen everything from a tent in the backyard on the grass to 5 star properties that you would not think you left down town NewYork.

Good luck in your search and planning.

Brickburn you are funny!

I would honestly recommend a huge ranch in Namibia, for the guys that are use to the wilds of Canada. Not that some places in the brushy Limpopo Province won't do too.

I think when a guy hunts on small properties and lives in the cities in the USA, he ore she can have more options and still be happy. But having hunted Canada. The bigger the property the better. It also makes a difference how a PH runs the hunt too. Stalking and glassing game is really great. I would not make a good blind sitter in Africa. I do plenty of that in Wisconsin and enjoy it less and less every year.

Hey Bosskoss,

Welcome to our forum and you will defnitely be able to find a lot of help an info here. I sent you a PM. Looking forward on hearing from you.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions at anytime.

Best regards,

Jacques

Cant offer much more but hello and enjoy the search! Its all here!

Bosskoss,

Hunted the Limpopo province of RSA twice, with Cruiser Safaris. This is an amazing area and one you will never forget. Welcome to the site.

Hello all hope your morning is going well, sorry to be redundant but I posted this question on the intro and was told to post it here. I have to be honest I've hunted Mexico, U.S and Canada but I never thought Africa would tweek my interest but over the course of the last 6 months it has and then some! I was curious when planning a first trip to Africa what are the do's and dont's? What country would be the forum suggest would be the first book to on ones first hunting safari? And any other helpful tips. This that would be important to me for my first trip would be safety, quality of game, amount of game, access to a large amount of acres, food and nice accomondations (possibly bring a spouse). Thanks a bunch.

We invite you to have a look at the feedback from clients reflected on this site.

Lots of information and it can definitely become confusing and overwhelming at times. Take your time and look around, decide what you would like to hunt and then work towards the when and where. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have or send you some information. Enjoy your search.

Hello, my wife and I had a great first safari exerience in 2008 with Noassanbis in Namibia, huge place, lots of acres. Great accomodations, great food, great staff, and large trophy animals. I have a couple pictures posted with my profile. Maybe the pictures with my wife in them will help ease your wife's mind. We were so pleased we are returning this year. My wife took a beautiful Zebra, Blesbok, Springbuck, and Oryx (Gemsbok). I took a Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Red Hartebeest, and Warthog.

My wife & I had our 1st African hunt in Namibia, loved it and our PH- - Christi Liebenberg @ Hatari safaris. He's got some huge properties.

Tried to answer your PM, mailbox is full

Hello, my wife and I took our very first Safari to Africa in 2008. Like you, we had alot of questions, and bacause I was bringing my wife; at the top of the list was safety. We also wanted to see alot of game, have great accomodations, and to be treated well. Also, like you we had hunted in many places around the world, but this was our first trip to Africa.

We went to Namibia and had the time of our lives. It was better than either of us could have imagined. We had such a great time, we are returning this year with the same outfitter we went with in 2008.

We went with Justus Muller at Noasanabis. The accomodations are second to none. The staff are of the very best, and we guarantee you won't be disappointed with the animals. We saw a ton of quality trophy animals everyday. The hardest part was literally wading through some of the smaller animals waiting for the shot on a trophy animals. My wife shot several beautiful animals to include a Zebra, a Gemsbok, a Blesbok, and a Springbok. I also took huge Kudu, a Red Hartebeest, a Black Wildebeest, a Warthog, and an Impala.

The food at Noassanabis is excellent. As a matter of fact they will ask you way in advace what you prefer to eat and drink, and they will make sure to have it on hand when you get there.

You will not have to worry about the safety. Namibia is a safe country. In addition, Justus, and or a member of the family will be with you anywhere you go. Also, Namibia is a malaria free area.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to go to Etosha National Park after your hunt. This can also be arranged through Justus, and he will accompany you personally on the trip and guide you through and show you some more magnificent animals.

Let me know if you need any further information. Maybe we can make arrangements to talk on the telephone. If you have any further concerns don't hesitate to ask.

Travis and Gina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg