Pistol grips

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Why no pistol grips on dangerous game rifles, I imagine it's likely tradition with double rifles but why not on the bolt guns? Recoil management maybe?

On rifles I've used them on 5.56, 7.62 and 50 BMG but the first two are obviously low recoil and the latter was very heavy with a huge brake.
Used them on 12 bores and really preferred them for transitioning on running rabbits.

Could it also just be that they are something that is just starting to come into the stock world.

I personally don't care for them other than on a pistol and think that they take away from the lines of a rifle and it's stock.

Recoil management and tradition seem likely to me.

Probably the same reason (recoil) you don't see thumb hole stocks on a heavy kicker as a rule too.

Hate the look - but then I am a rust blue and walnut reactionary. I also probably wore an M-16 to work for too many years. Really can't imagine them on a shotgun for game. Hand alignment is so critical to pointing the gun where the eyes are looking (very different than a rifle).

With all due respect to you Jimbob, are you crazy!!!

It's an interesting question! Now somebody on here with cash to burn make this a project and let us now how it goes!

Could it also just be that they are something that is just starting to come into the stock world.

They're aren't that new, they've been on military arms for 50 years or so. Which further makes me think there may be a reason they haven't spread.

Hate the look - but then I am a rust blue and walnut reactionary. I also probably wore an M-16 to work for too many years. Really can't imagine them on a shotgun for game. Hand alignment is so critical to pointing the gun where the eyes are looking (very different than a rifle).

Me too in that I prefer wood and blue but I wear an SA80 to work although less so recently.
Still, with a pistol grip you're still pointing where you're looking, it's just with a fist rather than fingers.

With all due respect to you Jimbob, are you crazy!!!

Well this made me howl which didn't help my torn lattimus dorsi!
In answer to you're question.... Yup, just ask the wife!

It's an interesting question! Now somebody on here with cash to burn make this a project and let us now how it goes!

My double project is MILES down the road but I may just have to take that challenge.

Don't think so. Then again, my idea of game gun perfection has sxs barrels and an "English" style straight grip. On OU's, I shoot best a very open grip (also on my favorite bolt rifles). Having eyes and hands very close to the same plain makes more instinctive the complex acts of pointing and accelerating the gun. I would further suggest that a double rifle has far more in common with a shotgun than a Mauser.; at least with regard to handling, and particularly with regard to quickly sorting out inbound mayhem. True, double rifles aren't built with straight stocks (issues of tradition, strength, and weight) but the best have fairly open grips allowing dynamic handling.

All that said, if you have the skills to create such a rifle, have at it. It would certainly be unique. And it would certainly be a fine topic to kick around a campfire!

I say go for it Jimbob!

Well what got me thinking was that practical shotgun (UK equivalent of tactical comps) has a very high proportion of pistol grip shotguns. They run all sorts of loads depending on target and range but they use slugs a fair amount. Full power loads usually.

They rapidly transition between targets and shoot from very odd positions at times. Seems pretty relevant to dangerous game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!