Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Last weekend my fiance and I went on a Pig hunt in northern Florida. The purpose of this hunt was to take my fiance on her first hunt and see if it was a thing we could enjoy together or was something I would continue to do alone. The place I found was called Two Guys and a Hog located in Perry, FL.

Unfortunately, 2 hours into our drive from Myrtle Beach,SC we got a flat tire. Not the end of the world except that I just got a new car 1 month ago and the new Hyundais dont come with spare tires or a jack... This meant I had to call a tow truck for a flat tire. A real boost to my ego. After waiting 1 hour for the truck and 3 hours at Firestone for a new tire, we were finally on the road again.

This was a caged hunt for pigs that were trapped in the local area, this meant they were actual "wild hogs" and not farm raised which was important to me. We arrived on Friday and were going to be staying in the Bunk House they had at the facility. It was better then any deer camp I have been in and had hot water, electricity, and air conditioning. It was all we needed and for $50 a night we couldn't beat it as we were traveling with two dogs.

The deal was set up that we would meet the "guides"/owner of the operation at 7:45am for my fiance to shoot my Rem 700 30-06 briefly then head out. She was shooting dead on (actually better then at the home range) and we were off. They set us up in a elevated wooden blind that sat about 50yds from a feeder. The feeder kicked on about 15 mins after we got settled and roughly 10 mins after that 15 pigs came running in. Unfortunately the pigs stayed bunched up but it was a good chance for the misses to get a real fell of what was going to happen. She seemed to be very excited now! After about 10 mins of eating the pigs suddenly spooked and ran off. About 10 mins of waiting and they slowly crept back in, this time there was maybe 30-40 pigs. As you can imagine, they were really bunched up now and didnt provide a shot. Yet again they got spooked and took off.

We sat silent for around 40 mins watching squirrels steal all the corn they could take. She loved watching the squirrels and I think started to process why I enjoyed sitting in the woods all days on Saturdays even if I dont shoot anything.
Suddenly the large group of pigs comes back. They come straight to the feeder and then begin to break up to our left and right. Its getting interesting now and she is trying to decide what she was wanting in a pig. It was between a spotted one and a greyish colored pig, both about 70-80lbs which is what we wanted. Finally the greyish one seperated out from its friends and made the mistake of doing it broadside at 15 yards... As you can see in the video, my fiance made a perfect shot taking out the near shoulder then going directly into the heart. The pig never kicked or made noise which was her big concern about hunting and wounding one.

http://vid1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/dailordasailor/florida 072_zpsexqqmr6f.mp4

Later that day I did a "stalk" hunt for a 200# plus pig that I wanted a euro mount of for my boss. It was a good excuse to shoot a big pig with my bow and suck up to the boss at the same time. Unfortunately the "stalk" enclosure is rather small and the pigs are very aware of you. I contemplated calling it off as soon as I walked in but wasnt sure how that would go over. Basically the two "guides" push the pigs in front of you. The problem being that they are very aware of you and arent just going to stand still for you to stick a broadhead in. I come to grips with the idea I am going to have to take a shot on a running pig and let one fly on a true monster. Unfortunately theres a sapling bent over in front of me that I didnt see and of course the broadhead hits it dead on. (Actually kind of impressed by the broadhead. I use schwacker mech broadheads and it cut the sapling like a surgeon) I reknock an arrow and the next one hits it mark, but a little bit farther back then I would of liked. Luckily it had enough angle to go forward and wreak havoc on its lungs. The pig piled up 10 yards down and I put a 9mm in its boiler room to end it.
After watching the video I see i didnt keep the bow flowing forward like i needed to for the running pig. Good lesson learned and something to practice on.

Overall it was the perfect place for an introduction for my fiance into hunting. She is now hooked and wants to go to Texas with me and try to take a Ram and/or Javelina. I am currently planning to take my 8 year old nephew back to this ranch for his first ever hunt the day after Christmas. I would suggest to anyone stopping out and doing a hunt. Great for a first timer and you get a good taste of "real" hunting. As for "stalk" hunts, avoid it if you can.

Thanks,

Dale

Attachments

• florida 075_zpsvpzw336b.jpg
    florida 075_zpsvpzw336b.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 162
  • florida 137_zpszaedlekl.jpg
    florida 137_zpszaedlekl.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 169
  • florida 117_zps9mmbvpuh.jpg
    florida 117_zps9mmbvpuh.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 149
  • florida 045_zpsjlgitrfs.jpg
    florida 045_zpsjlgitrfs.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 156
  • florida 047_zpsawiiuhbv.jpg
    florida 047_zpsawiiuhbv.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 156
  • florida 046_zpsrymy1ds8.jpg
    florida 046_zpsrymy1ds8.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha ha ha you bought a hyundia ,ha ha ha yha nhab,,, nah just joking I bought my daughter a second hand one a few months ago , ha ha ha ha but it came with a spare tyre and a jack , ha ha ha ha
how pissed off would ve ya been , having to get a tow .............
man that would ve made me spin a bearing .......
glad you pair,had a cracking time .......
good that the girl enjoyed the experience , bet you nephew will love it to bits , your gunna be super uncle , bloke ....
thanks for sharing your memories with us all

This was my first "new" car and it only has 2500 miles on those tires so it was all around unpleasant experience and bumpy start to trip. I've actually never had my car on a tow truck so that's a first.

My nephew is kind of "soft" because only child with just his mother but he loves the outdoors and any Alaskan show or hunting show he can see. That will be a polarizing trip for sure. Would love it to become something him and I can do each year traveling different places

No spare tire or jack? Wow that is the first time I've ever heard of a car without one. Usually you get a doughnut for a spare, crappy tin jack and a useless lug wrench

I have two people I work with that have hyundai and none have spares or jacks. What they do now is give you an air pump and slime for a leak... Worthless with big gash in tire

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see you can share hobbies with the soon to be Mrs. If you're looking at Texas try Gizmo's place. He's got a great website and prices. All the best.

R.

I've talked to gizmo a couple months back. Hopefully that works out in coming months

Nice video, that's the way you like to see them drop!

very cool! too bad on the lack of spare and jack. but its good you didn't let it stop you!

Looks like fun

It was a good time. Hopefully the euro hurrys up and gets here :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg