Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAHC Life Member, DU, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA-CA,NV,UT, AFRICA-NAMIBIA
OK, I am currently planning my first trip to Africa. I have been researching for over a month now. I am definately not a rich man, I do make descent money, but I have to plan on this trip way in advance. I am planning on late June of 2015. I have decided to hunt with Ozondjahe Safaris in Namibia. I have emailed back and forth a few times with Jerome Phillipe and will be meeting him next Feb. in Las Vegas at the SCI Show. I will be booking my hunt at that time. I will be bowhunting and it seems that is all I think about everyday. I plan on hunting for 12 days (maybe more) and am looking to take the following: Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Springbok, Blesbok and Hartmanns Mountain Zebra. I might even throw in a Black Wildebeest also. Now, I am having a hard time trying to figure out how one gets 450+ grains per arrow. The arrows I shoot now are only 8.1 gpi and with a 100 grain BH that only comes out to roughly 390 grains total. I have been looking and found that the Easton Axis 300 comes in at 11.5 gpi, but I would have to shoot a 32" arrow with a 125 grain BH. I am shooting a PSE Stinger 3G with a 29 1/2" draw and 70# pull. Would this be sufficient enough? I have gained so much info on this site and everyone seems to be very helpful. I can hardly wait for the day I will be able to post pics of my hunt. I am sop excited about this that my grandkids have helped me build a goal board with pics of all the animals I will be hunting and other things on the board relating to the trip. They say this way I can see it everyday and be reminded that this is what I am working so hard for right now. What great grandkids!!! I will have to post a pic of this soon. That would make them happy also.

Last edited:
jeff havent got a clue about the arrow stuff, but the way your grand kids are assisting you is brilliant. please show us what they have made for you. kids are so special . i love the way you said they are helping you to keep focused on your plans . :)

Jeff, on the arrow stuff some suggestions.
Drop a heavier insert up front (brass), a slightly heavier arrow and you'll be at 450 easily.
Another option:
3 Rivers has inserts (Weight tubes), if you want to add them. Most archers prefer to avoid the complications.

Build a few different arrow variations and see how they fly out of your bow.

You'll be just fine on plains game.

Shot placement, shot placement, ......

Look forward to the cheering section post.

I dont see any need for 450 grain arrows. You will be out of the rut and all ur game will have little muscle mass. I shot my kudu last year with a bowtech insanity cpxl at 75lbs. I was shooting the 300 spine arrows at 31" which were 11.2 gpi. I topped it off with an 85 gr montec g3 Head. I shot one kudu behind the shoulder at 60 yds, one behind the shoulder at 30 yds and the other was shot straight through both front shoulders at 20 yds. All the shots passed completely through the kudu and killed them in short order. If anything my setup is way too much. Now if your going after giraffe or buffalo u then need to buy those 300 gr kinetix german broad heads and all. But for what you are doing just setup like you are going after elk or mule deer. The game isnt as tough as everyone likes to claim. However Jeromes place is the perfect choice. I would love to meet up with both of you and talk about your hunt. However jerome will tell u all u need to know. Just steer clear of his wife. That california girl is a total mess. Those are the best people u will ever meet. BARNONE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you are going to have a great time jeffb :)

Personally I think 390 grain is to light.
But if you use the Easton Axis 300 with 10.7 gpi at the right length for you and add a high quality 125 grain broad, you will be very close to 450 grain.
Beaman MFX Bone Collector 300 with 10.7 gpi is also very good.
If you want to add more weight to the arrow and up front to get a heavier arrow with better foc, then I think Gold Tip Kinetic Hunter with its weight system is a great choice.
Btw, I got some wraps made with pictures of my target animals on my walk and stalk hunt in SA this year that I plan to put on the arrows I will use on that hunt :)

WOW Norwegianwoods. What a GREAT idea about the wraps. I think I will do the same thing. I hope you don't have a market on this. LOL ;)

It is all really about KE and confidence. You set-up has plenty of KE. Arrow choice and broadhead choice are important . Above all else is your confidence in yourself and your equiptment. Practice, practice , practice. A small arrow placed perfectly with proper penetration is as deadly as any weapon.

good luck-Jerry

Well as I said when I first started this post, I would post pics of the "goal board" that my grandkids and I have put together to focus on this trip. So, here they are.

(click on image to enlarge)

Love the thermometer.

This is my Warthog Bank..

watermark.php

I dont see any need for 450 grain arrows. You will be out of the rut and all ur game will have little muscle mass. I shot my kudu last year with a bowtech insanity cpxl at 75lbs. I was shooting the 300 spine arrows at 31" which were 11.2 gpi. I topped it off with an 85 gr montec g3 Head. I shot one kudu behind the shoulder at 60 yds, one behind the shoulder at 30 yds and the other was shot straight through both front shoulders at 20 yds. All the shots passed completely through the kudu and killed them in short order. If anything my setup is way too much. Now if your going after giraffe or buffalo u then need to buy those 300 gr kinetix german broad heads and all. But for what you are doing just setup like you are going after elk or mule deer. The game isnt as tough as everyone likes to claim. However Jeromes place is the perfect choice. I would love to meet up with both of you and talk about your hunt. However jerome will tell u all u need to know. Just steer clear of his wife jeanine. That california girl is a total mess. Those are the best people u will ever meet. BARNONE!
You need to post some pictures, you are a kudu killing machine.

Very nice looking goal board, great job getting the family involved in the waiting process. Looks like you have a pretty good idea on exactly what you are looking for on this hunt. Hopes everything goes well.

Do not forget that you have to consider the weight of the hidden insert, the broadhead ring, and the fletching. 11.5 gpi x 29 inches = 333.5 grains. Add a 125 grain head and you are up to 458.5 grains. From there you still have to add the insert, the broadhead ring (recomended for FMJ's) and the fletching...which will put you well over the 450 grain arrow mark.

Do not forget that you have to consider the weight of the hidden insert, the broadhead ring, and the fletching. 11.5 gpi x 29 inches = 333.5 grains. Add a 125 grain head and you are up to 458.5 grains. From there you still have to add the insert, the broadhead ring (recomended for FMJ's) and the fletching...which will put you well over the 450 grain arrow mark.

Absolutely, I believe even the nock and the fletching adds up also. Definately going to have to set up my bow to shoot anything in that range.

Absolutely, I believe even the nock and the fletching adds up also. Definately going to have to set up my bow to shoot anything in that range.

To give a small example I shoot Carbon Express Maxima Hunters 350s. The bear shaft + stock insert is 253 grains, add three blazer for fletching, a wrap, and a stock nock and the total arrow weight goes to 295 grains. The weight can fluctuate a few grains with arrow tolerances and amounts of glue used but it would never be enough to affect anything.

Well only 6 1/2 months to go. The hunt is booked, airfare paid and all is coming together. I have gotten the arrows together, Easton FMJ 300 @12.0 GPI with 130 GRN Muzzy Brodhead's, with the inserts, vanes and nocks I will be shooting roughly 530 grains. Highly sufficient I believe. I will be leaving S.F. on the 13th of June, staying the night in N.Y. and leaving there on the 14th to Johannesburg, S.A. Will arrive in Windehok, Namibia on the 15th and start hunting on the 16th for 10 days. Been planning since January of 2013 and the time is actually going by faster than I thought. A lot been going on since I first posted and I have not been on here in a while now. Good to be back though. I have also recently started learning Taxidermy. but I believe I will leave my African trophies to the pros at this point. Maybe a year from now I might be good enough to try something like that. Although I might be taking a Black Backed Jackal while there and I have thought about doing a full mount for that. Anyway just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the support and comments I have gotten from members here. What a great place to hang out.

Sounds like you have a great hunt booked. I was in Namibia at the end of the summer and it is fabulous. We took 12 animals in 7 days. You've got a good arrow setup, hard to beat Muzzy broad heads. 530 grains is perfect for all PG. Its an awesome experience!

I have always been told for plains game that anything that will cleanly kill an elk will do fine on plains game. I killed an Eland with the rig I used to hunted elk with. I have since gotten a new bow and I now shoot different arrows as that was about 10 years ago. If adding weight is important to you for a confidence builder then weight inserts are a good idea but I dont feel it necessary. I think the rig you are shooting now is plenty sufficient. It's all about shot placement. Good luck! I hope you have a great trip.

Love the thermometer.

This is my Warthog Bank..

watermark.php

do you roll up all the loonies and toonies like that bricko , by hand or have you a machine ?

my secret is only spending notes ,never cions ,gets a tad heavy at times having a pocket full of shrappers ,but saved over 1800 dollars in a year and half doing it .( that's not bad for a bloke that's never on land )
then the grandson came along ,now he gets all the 50c pieces .(bosses orders)
and joysie decided she wouldn't spend 5 dollar notes , mate she had a stack of them before we left for Africa , I remember seeing them all stacked up on the bed when we were packing , it looked like a purple house brick

sounds like you have a plan ,jeff.
and its all falling into perspective ,mate .welldone .
and you think times going quick . wait until the end of march it will start dragging its feet ,the last week will feel like a month ..........

Just as I suspected. :( I don't look forward to June at all. I have a feeling that those first 12 days will seem to be a lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg