Partition lack of love?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by GaryO, Jun 28, 2011.

1. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA (Life), EX Member Safari Club Intl
    Hunted:
    USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
    Funny thing about Nosler Partitions....lot's of people will beyotch because a lot or all of the front section is gone...

But they only know that because they recovered it from a DEAD animal! :)

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Truer words have never been spoken!

3. trigger creep

trigger creep AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA
    Nosler redesigned the ballistic tip this year if I'm correct. The new Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting's have a thicker copper jacket and they penetrate much better. They still expand very rapidly, but they don't go to pieces like the old ones. Go to Noslers website and check out the new NBT hunting.

4. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
    If you are talking about the new "E Tip Lead Free" that is a completely different animal altogether....solid copper with a plastic tip. To me that one only looks good ABOVE 2800 FPS or so.

The link to the Nosler website is in my post earlier in this thread. I see no mention of a re-designed Ballistic Tip for hunting bullets.

5. trigger creep

trigger creep AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA
    Nosler redisigned the Nosler Ballistic Tip, they added "hunting" on too the end of the name. The change they made was a thicker copper jacket. I am not talking about the E-tip, I am talking about the Nosler ballistic tip. The old ones used to basically blow to pieces inside of the animal, these don't.

Here's the link to the nosler ballistic tip hunting: Ballistic Tip - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data

6. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Mozambique
    The Swift A-Frame and Remington Core-Lokt are superior to the NP for larger game in my opinion. They expand great, penetrate, and retain more weight. It is very hard to beat the A-Frame. The NP is designed to open quickly with the front end of the bullet disintegrating and creating initial shock while the base of the bullet stays together and penetrates further but with out as much wound channel and shock further along in the body cavity as an expanding bullet that stays together. I much prefere a bullet that expands AND penetrates with more weight retention while creating a large wound channel all along the entire penetration distance. It is just physics.

There are lots of people that will say that they have killed "X" amount of bigger game with the NP without losing an animal. Congrats. But I guide about 21 weeks/trips per year and I have seen problems with animals shot with NP where the bullet did not perform well. Why take this risk when there are other bullets that can group as well but retain more weight and expand big enough to cause a lot of shock? Just my opinion.

7. GaryO

GaryO AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    First time that I've ever heard Partitions and Core-Lokts ever mentioned in the same sentence. Core-lokts are conventional cup and core bullets and can't hold a candle to a Nosler Partion...

8. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Mozambique
    The base may be more reinforced on a NP but the tips are more fragile. I have had better weight retention with the Core-Lokt with my .338 Win Mag. The NP will not mushroom as nice. It just breaks apart up front.

9. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DU, DSC
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania
    I much prefer the Swift A-frame or even better, North Fork, over any other bonded bullet for hunting.

In general the PH's I have hunted with like Partitions for leopard but despise them for buffalo.

That being said my wife killed an old buffalo cow with a .375 H&H shoot a Partition with no problems, just not my first choice.

[​IMG]

North Forks from a test pack

10. tarbe

tarbe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Speaking of physics....you have x amount of kinetic energy and by your choice of bullet you are deciding how you will apply that energy to disrupt organic matter.

Now, I am speaking only about non-dangerous game, but any bullet that essentially always exits an animal is likely wasting that tissue disrupting energy. A bullet that sometimes exits, is on average dumping more energy inside the animal...energy that rearranges tissue.

You said it yourself, the partition is designed to capture that middle ground of some explosive expansion and tissue destruction, along with enough penetration to always get through the vitals and, truth be told, still often give an exit.

Again, I am talking non-dangerous game. The rules change when you start talking stuff that might want to fight back.

As always, just my $0.02

Tim

11. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:

+1 for your $0.02 I love Partitions for non dangerous game for just that reason.

12. tarbe

tarbe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

I really do think they strike a nice compromise when it comes to the shape of the wound channel.

A little bit of ballistic tip on the front end, a little bit of a solid on the back end. What more could a guy want? :heh: