packaging reloads for Int'l travel

muleman

Reaction score
Member of
SCI,RMEF,DU
I very much want to bring and use my own reloaded ammo on my up coming hunt in Namibia but I've heard that traveling with reloads can be problematic. Does anybody have any advice or experience in this area? Interested in how they should be packaged and labeled.

For my RSA trip, I put reloads into plastic boxes from Frankford Arsenal and MTM and packed them into locked metal containers.

Inspectors did not care about the fact that they were reloads. They checked cartridge count and caliber only.

- browningbbr

BrowningBBR is right. All they care about is that they are in a container and not just rolling around in a suitcase. And the other thing they worry about is that you have less than 11 pounds and the fact the bullets match the gun you are bringing. They don't like to see 375 H&H ammo and 7MM Remington as your gun that you are taking hunting. The ammo has to match the gun.

...Eric & Browning you are right for the most part!First time I went over I took 4 different reloads for my 30-06. They had different bullets & I had them all facing up in the 100 round ammo box. Needless to say I had some major league explaining to the Cops at the gun check-in. The 2nd time I placed them all facing down unmarked in the box & I had no problems as He pulled one round out & looked at it & put it back. Don't give those boys any reason to ask more questions than they already have!!

Calhoun:

Thanks for the tip. Each of my calibers was one brand of brass and one type of bullet. They all looked the same. Each 20-round box was labeled by caliber.

The fact that they were packed in plastic ammo boxes was not a big deal because I had the ammo boxes packed in a metal, locked container.

- browningbbr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!