Packages & Fees for unfilled trophies

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by MathewsShooterNJ, Mar 1, 2013.

1. MathewsShooterNJ

MathewsShooterNJ New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Life Member, UBNJ, NAHC Life Member, NJ Huntsmen, NJSFSC
    Hunted:
    USA (NJ,NY,PA,OH,ME,NC,CO,WI,KS,WY) Canada(BC); Fished Trinidad & Tobago, Australia, Ontario, Canada; Cancun, MX; AK & entire Eastern Seaboard of US
    Hi all,

What is the typical policy when you buy a package for a set number of days hunting, which includes trophy fees for specific animals. If you do not successfully hunt an animal, are fees discounted? Or, is that the risk you take for the discounted cost?

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well, it's a question to ask the outfitter. Everyone has different policies. Some will refund the money, others will exchange with different animals. Usually package animals are very plentiful. Africa is not the USA, there are going to PLENTY OF ANIMALS to hunt. In fact self control is the hard part...shooting too much is a problem.

3. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Hi Mathews

I can't speak for all outfitts but the packages that I offer for Huntershill Safaris are deaply discounted for those animals so you don't get a refund unless stated differently However if you don't take or wound the animals in your package at the end of your safari you will receive a letter of Credit for those animals not taken or wounded basicly all you have to do then is book yourself some days for your next safari at Huntershill Safaris the animal/s on your letter of credit are still yours to hunt upon your return kinda like adding a few days on to the end of your Safari just a year or 2 years later. Or as Enysse has stated if your just having a hard time connecting with one or two of the animals you can ask to see what you can swap them for. Bob

4. MathewsShooterNJ

MathewsShooterNJ New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Life Member, UBNJ, NAHC Life Member, NJ Huntsmen, NJSFSC
    Hunted:
    USA (NJ,NY,PA,OH,ME,NC,CO,WI,KS,WY) Canada(BC); Fished Trinidad & Tobago, Australia, Ontario, Canada; Cancun, MX; AK & entire Eastern Seaboard of US
    Thanks Bob. I was just reading about huntershill on the SCI website a week or so back.

5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Every outfitter feels different. Some feel like this is a discounted hunt and things didn't go as plan and they will try to make up next time. Most PH's will work damn hard to fill those tags. It wouldn't be good business if they couldn't deliver.
    Sometimes the animal in the package may not be what you are looking for...too small, young, worn down, etc. That is why some people skip packages.

6. Bobpuckett

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    There a Good Outfit to hunt with and they work hard to keep there clients happy if you ever need any info or ref. just let me know and I can send you a dozen of them. What did you have in mind for hunting if you don't mind my asking? they have over 60 species of animals even if you can't hunt some of them you can take pics and lie your butt off to your buddies. :laughing:

7. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Mathew, As stated, it's much harder to NOT find what you're looking for in a package than to shoot more than you plan on. Outfitters that offer packages know what they have available and work their butts off to make it happen for the clients. My take after 5 safaris is that there is a 95% chance or greater that you will be in shooting position for any good package hunt. It's still hunting. You have to make the shot. I went 10 days looking for my second kudu but couldn't find a good one. That's just hunting but that's only one in over 30 plains game I've hunted.

8. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Ask your outfitter, as there are different policies. I myself, don't believe in having a hunter pay for something that he did not get an opportunity at.

9. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    Bob are you sure they give a letter of credit for wounded animals, as i have never heard of that before.

we give a credit for an animal not taken on a package hunt to be taken on another hunt. if wounded then its paid for.

10. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Spike is correct, a wounded animal that is not found is counted as a filled tag. If you draw blood, the tag is filled.

11. Bobpuckett

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Mis understanding what I was trying to say is, if they are wounded they are counted as taken. Its just like my Vaalie last year I drew blood and could not find the animal so I wrote that trophy fee off as bad luck got luck when they found it. Bob

12. Bobpuckett

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thats what I thought I was saying when I posted "if you don't take or wound the animals" that you would get a letter of credit for the animals not taken Sorry for the confusion.

13. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    yeah see what you mean, i read it and its one of those you can read either way.:)