PAC Elephant hunt in Mozambique

Simon - as always thanks for keeping us up to date and making the effort to confirm with the government. I worry for hunters who aren't part of our forum who might jump at it and go quickly. John

Somewhat off-topic but kind of related in Australia it is illegal for an outfitter to sell saltwater crocodile hunts to clients. Yet this outfitter came up with something else :

http://www.australiawidesafaris.com.au/hunting-safaris/crocodile-harvesting/

They offer the opportunity for clients to be observers on a saltwater crocodile hunt, the client can be involved in the whole experience except the client can't actually shoot the animal. This arrangement seems to be 100% legal, if it is not I have a hard time believing this guy hasn't been busted yet by the Australian authorities.

What would be the legalities in Moz. of an outfitter offering a similar arrangement on a PAC elephant for example? Obviously the price would have to be lower because the client couldn't shot the animal but I'm sure there prob. would be interested parties...

As far as I understand the situation in Mozambique, it's illegal to sell a PAC hunt, doesn't mean a client can't take part in the hunt if the problem occurs while clients in camp.

Simon,

how / when is the "hunt" classified as a PAC hunt in Mozambique? How would PAC hunt be determine? Is it like crop raiding animals (Elephant)?

That depends on the game department. I don't class an elephant that destroys a few hundred dollars as a PAC, in 7 years we have shot 3, 2 that actually killed people and one that I called on a hunt as a problem, he had several bullets in him. He was acting abnormal and I called the shot, we took a handful of bullets out of him. I immediately reported it to the government, I could have used one of my tags if there had been a problem. You don't always need to shoot a PAC elephant, we have chased several 15-20 km back into our area.

Thanks Simon for sharing, valuable info for foreign hunters

You guys are great and doing a great service for us all. I can't imagine what it would be like to jump on a deal like this and find yourself in handcuffs half a world away from home facing a very long sentence in an African prison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg