Overnight SA Stay--How to mark SAPS 520

DonW28

Reaction score
HI,

I have an overnight stay in SA on the way to Namibia. Does anyone know the correct block to check on the SAPS 520 in Section D Type of Permit? I'm confused between the in-transit or Temp Import. Overnight seems to be in transit to me but I'm probably wrong.

Thanks,

Don

The safe thing to do is to ask your outfitter, PH or booking agent. You can email PHASA in SA also and they are very nice and will help with any questions. Hope this helps.

SES

Don,

Here is the information from the South African Police Service website that I think answer your question, this is what it says about what defines the two different types of permits:

Firearm entering South Africa not for the purpose of licencing in South Africa can be divided in the following categories:
• Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement, exhibition where after it will return to country of origin, wherefor a temporary import permit may be issued.
• Firearms entering South Africa to be transported over SA ground to another country in Africa for personal use wherefor a in-transit permit may be issued.
• Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement or exhibition and then taken to another country other than the country of origin wherefor an temporary import permit and additional export permit may be issued.

Based upon this information it appears that you must check for the in-transit permit box.

This information on importation of firearm(s) into South Africa can be found on the South African Police Service (SAPS) website by clicking here.

You can also download the instruction on how to complete the South Africa Firearms Permit Form, SAPS 520 by clicking here.

South Africa Firearms Permit Application SAPS 520 Form

South Africa Firearms Permit Information SAPS 520

South Africa Letter Of Invitation Form

For an AH article on Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Yes, I think Jerome is right on this one and my gut feeling as well - all the other information is the same regardless of temp or in transit permit. Remember, to list the full duration of your trip dates on the SAP 520 assuming you are exiting back through RSA as well. This way you are covered with the permit on your way home in case of any hiccups.

That is good advice about the trip back. Since there is no overnight stay involved on the way back I marked the application just for the 3-4 June period. Guess I will redo the application and cover the whole period. Planes do break down and I'd hate to lose my firearms on the way home.

Don

Don ~ I speak from experience on this one. Better to be safe than sorry!

It depends on whether you are taking posession of the firearms for the overnight you spend in Jo'burg or having the firearm transferred directly from airline to airline without taking posession in SA. I have done it successfully both ways, but I always took copies of filled out (but not signed) forms for both scenarios. Having many copies of the forms will save you time. It also helps if the connecting flight is on the same airline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!