Outfitters & PH's have you ever been burned?

The best I have ever heard was that how rude I am - counting cash that was handed over to me as payment for the safari in front of the client. Supposedly I should have trusted him and counted the cash after he has departed.

My response was that if you deposit money at the bank they count it, same story at any gas station - so what makes my business otherwise that the rest?

Thanks God I counted it! :sneaky:

The best I have ever heard was that how rude I am - counting cash that was handed over to me as payment for the safari in front of the client. Supposedly I should have trusted him and counted the cash after he has departed.

That doesn't seem rude to me one bit. Maybe it's just me but if I'm paying someone a large sum of money I would expect them to count while I am still there.

My response was that if you deposit money at the bank they count it, same story at any gas station - so what makes my business otherwise that the rest?

What the hell I don't remember you counting the money I gave you. LOL . It is smart to count it for both peoples sake. Mistakes can happen both ways.

Well, since i had no reply to my last email to the mentioned hunter i think i will just go ahead!!

Mr David Eugene Bardwell age 43 living in Benton Louisiana hunted with with Bos en Dal Safaris in September 2014 he shot 2 wildebeest, blesbok, common Reedbuck and a Nyala! It was a good hunt and we shared some good moment together going after the nyala and a second blue!!!
Well when it came to settling the bill mr Bardwell apparently lost his wallet with all tje trophy fees in it... I told him to go back to the states and he can settle his account when he gets home and sort out this mess!!
At first he was very informative of the situation keeping me up to date on the situation! He then once asked for my banking details again as he wanted to settle his debt!! After a week or so i contacted him to inform him that there were no funds transferred from his side!! Then the excuses started....
First there was something wrong with his bank and he would get his uncle to pay me, then his uncle was a d!€k (this is according to him and not me) and didn't want to pay for his holliday!!!
Well it didnt take long for him to kind of dissapear on me and as i said any mail i send to him nowadays are in vain!!
So to any Business man, outfitter or just the normal guy on the street who do bussiness from time to time, please be aware of this man!!!
By doing this i know i will not benefit from this but maybe this thread can assist other people from stepping into the same hole i did!!
View attachment 38217 View attachment 38218 View attachment 38219 View attachment 38216

All the best
Gerrit

Why not send him a letter stating your concerns to see if you can work something out amicably?:

David Eugene Bardwell II
2959 Midway St
Shreveport, LA 71109-5915

Or perhaps if you're struggling to reach him you could send a postcard to his mom Rhonda asking her to forward him a note? Barring that, you could try to ask his siblings Veronica and Kim for help locating Mr. Bardwell so you could address your concerns since you've lost contact?

Also, his uncle Paul Bardwell (the one he said was going to assist with paying potentially) would be a reasonable person to try to contact in order to try to work out a way to contact your client and have a reasonable resolution for all parties involved?

Why not send him a letter stating your concerns to see if you can work something out amicably?:

David Eugene Bardwell II
2959 Midway St

Or perhaps if you're struggling to reach him you could send a postcard to his mom Rhonda asking her to forward him a note? Barring that, you could try to ask his siblings Veronica and Kim for help locating Mr. Bardwell so you could address your concerns since you've lost contact?

Also, his uncle Paul Bardwell (the one he said was going to assist with paying potentially) would be a reasonable person to try to contact in order to try to work out a way to contact your client and have a reasonable resolution for all parties involved?

'rookhawk' . . . . Outstanding suggestions (wink, wink)

If Google Maps is correct and this really is this guy's house I wouldn't count on getting paid anytime soon:

address.png

Hmm, getting family members involved who weren't on this hunt and had nothing to do with it may not be the wisest idea.

Phil,
I would agree when it's 'unnecessary' involvement for the purpose of harrasment. But using such information for the purpose of locating or contacting someone is altogether different. That's why many contracts, employment applications and rental applications include a request for relative, friends or personal reference information.

Brent, I agree.

Call me cynical, but 'if' Gerrit's portrayal of the situation in camp was correct, and 'if' his further account of the conversations and subsequent avoidance by client Bardwell is correct, and 'if' the photo of what appears to be a small commercial building with boarded up windows is what the client listed as his residence, I would give strong consideration to the possibility that this was a planned fraud from the very beginning.

Also quite telling is that 'if' it was not intended as a fraud scheme why isn't Bardwell stepping out of the shadows to set the matter straight and clear his good name.

I certainly agree Big5. It seems like the client had no intention of paying . It's a shame that people can be so shady.

David Eugene Bardwell II
2959 Midway St

The internet is a pretty amazing thing.:eek:

Remind me not to hack any of you guys off.;)

My youngest son gave me some money he owed me a couple of days ago. I counted it. If I handed him some money I would expect him to do the same.

Anyone who thinks this it is rude to count money owed on a business transaction would immediately make my radar go up!

My youngest son gave me some money he owed me a couple of days ago. I counted it. If I handed him some money I would expect him to do the same.

Anyone who thinks this it is rude to count money owed on a business transaction would immediately make my radar go up!

The only time I might think it's rude to count the money in front of me is if I've just handed you a tip!

This has been very interesting reading. In a way I can understand someone not having the cash with them to pay for their safari and or trophies, I can also see where it could get out of hand by shooting a number of animals that were not on your list to shoot and end up owing a large amount at the end of the trip. It would be a lot like eating potato chips, you can't eat just one, but I hope to contain myself on up upcoming safari to two extra animals.

Now after saying that I don't understand people paying what they owe, plain and simple. Just because the people that you owe it to are a half a world away doesn't cut it. I know that on my upcoming safari that I plan on shooting 2 extra animals that are not on the "list" for my hunt and that I will have at least that much more money with me or I will send it the day after I get home. I hate owing money to anyone.

As for counting money in front of someone, I will count it out before I even hand it over to a person to pay what I owe where they can see me count it. I also don't feel bad when they count it again in front of me, it is a part of doing business.

The only time I might think it's rude to count the money in front of me is if I've just handed you a tip!

Completely agree!

I almost said that it would be rude to count a gift, which would be the exact same situation in my mind.

Hi All

Well i must say, Mr Bardwell did send me a $250 payment a week or so ago over paypal saying he is trying something new! Maybe this is a payment to show he intends to pay??
I emailed him back saying thank you for the payment and confirming that i recieved it! I have not heard from him since. Who know maybe this thread has done what it was intended for???

Lets see if he pays up the rest? Will keep you posted!!

Hi All

Well i must say, Mr Bardwell did send me a $250 payment a week or so ago over paypal saying he is trying something new! Maybe this is a payment to show he intends to pay??
I emailed him back saying thank you for the payment and confirming that i recieved it! I have not heard from him since. Who know maybe this thread has done what it was intended for???

Lets see if he pays up the rest? Will keep you posted!!

$250 every six months and you will be paid off............

At least its good news. Good luck in getting the rest of it paid.

Sounds like the thread was worth it.

Just consider this like a savings account. With the strengthening dollar you are now getting 12R vs the 11R you would have gotten in September.

:E Happy:

All the best.

Now that is encouraging! $250 is better than nothing, and the communication is even more valuable. Let's all just hope you get paid and can recover from this quickly. Kevin

Almost impossible to believe . . . it (sort of so far) worked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!