Outfitter PH question

Usually if my wife say's anything I just go into her shoe closet ( no lie it's an 8' X 22" room for just shoes and purses ) Look at her and reply " you need a different gun for every outfit right,"

Buy the rifle. Practice until proficient. When you get back from Africa sell the rifle. Likely get 90% plus back on a used rifle after one hunt. Best of luck. Bruce
ASharpe ...I gotta go with Bruce and Doc. Nothing like getting "intiment" in Africa with"the one you come with". Get you a .375 to call your own. Once you"bonded" with her in Africa, nothings stopping you from using her back in the states! Hell, I shoot our little Texas whitetails and exotics with my .416 Rigby! (I plan on taking my new .470 double after hogs this season) Betcha you won't want to part with her when you get back anyway.Maybe I'm just wierd ....lol

Once you bond with a rifle...it becomes a familiar friend....weird, heck "NO"!

Once you bond with a rifle...it becomes a familiar friend....weird, heck "NO"!

Thanks enysse.....well, come to think of it....maybe your just wierd like me! LOL!

ASharpe - You need to start reloading. That way, when you come home with a new gun and momma catches you, do like me.."But honey, it's Bill's. I'm keeping here until I work up some new loads for him."........works every time.

Been reloading since 1973. I'm not new to guns just Africa. shot on the Army Rifle team from 77-80. Got my first 22 when I was 6. Believe me I understand love affairs with guns.

Usually if my wife say's anything I just go into her shoe closet ( no lie it's an 8' X 22" room for just shoes and purses ) Look at her and reply " you need a different gun for every outfit right,"

I call my wife "Imelda Marcos". Of the incredible Philippine shoe collection fame.

Like the logic.

Thanks enysse.....well, come to think of it....maybe your just wierd like me! LOL!

ASharpe - You need to start reloading. That way, when you come home with a new gun and momma catches you, do like me.."But honey, it's Bill's. I'm keeping here until I work up some new loads for him."........works every time.

Wes, you and I are just very NORMAL gun owners. I think I have a gun to match every year I have been alive....just the way it was meant to be. LOL

Wes, you and I are just very NORMAL gun owners. I think I have a gun to match every year I have been alive....just the way it was meant to be. LOL

I'm gonna use that.....Honey if you think I'm bad, there's this guy in Wisconsin......

...that was met with a look I find difficult to put the right words together to describe......but in the end the look meant no.

..boy, don't I just know that look. My dear wife has one that has a seriously negative effect on my sex life.. :nonono: :flashboobies:

I call my wife "Imelda Marcos". Of the incredible Philippine shoe collection fame.

Like the logic.

you as well huh.......would post a photo of her ladyships collection, but dont have a wide enough lens or tall enough step ladder!! its amusing to see how many on here have wives that have the same affliction, and i use the same reasoning about "you never have enough shoes so whats wrong with just one more gun?" :biggrin2::beer:

..boy, don't I just know that look. My dear wife has one that has a seriously negative effect on my sex life.. :nonono: :flashboobies:

now Doc that must surely be you reminiscing in your mind about the past , i mean at your age that sort of thing must be a distant memory......:tongue::heh:;)

..I'm only 50 something, you cheeky young whippersniffer..! :letsparty:

dont worry i will bring you some little tablets named after our upside down mate to help you out in the marital bed duties dept :uptosome::laughing:

Back on topic: A. Sharp,

Where in NC? I am in Georgia. Going on my first safari this summer!! I am taking my rifle for a few reasons, but mostly what jagaermeister said, knowing the gun AND THE SAFETY. Think how many deer or other animals you've missed or been too slow on because you didn't hit the safety or didn't realize you were shooting a different rifle/shotgun. Think dove field and a remington or a mossberg, one push-button cross-trigger, one tang mounted safety. When you are hunting dangerous game, do you really want to think about that.
To me, and this is my personal opinion, I'd try to get the same make and model that you are used to be it a remington 700, winchester 70, savage 110, ruger 77 etc... To me there is something about knowing the trigger, the safety, and the stroke of the bolt. All my serious rifles (4) are same make and almost identical triggers because I don't want to have to think about where the controls are.
Too, I have used my 375 for deer and hogs, big? Yes, fun? Most definately!! The slug is so big and fast that by time it thinks about expanding, it's through the animal.
The case is an investment to protect your investment. it seems like alot of money but over a 10 year period is nothing.
Lastly, I don't think the SAPS 500 and the customs forms are that hard, you have time, plan it, take your own rifle and cherish it forevr. Everytime you wipe it down, you'll be transformed to Africa and the lore, PLUS it's an excuse to go back, or plan your Alaska Moose/Bear hunt.

Just my opinion.

I think the most important thing to consider is HOW THE GUN FITS because if it isn't quite right for some people they will mess up shots. And messing up shots in Africa gets VERY EXPENSIVE. It makes that gun purchase look cheap in comparison to lossing an animal.

These things are all true. I can pick up a used 375 in the $1000 range.That's quite a bit less than the cost and trouble of a wounded animal hunt. I have plenty of time, right now they won't let me shoot because of recoil possibly causing damage to my back. BUT,WHEN I'M WELL IT'S ON. I also have a friend who said he'd let me use his 375 Model 70.(After Alaska it became a safe queen) It's a take it use it type deal and he has no problem with me keeping it a couple years, I ask if he had any ammo I could borrow and I would need his reloading dies, can you believe he laughed at me, and said "Yes I have a set of dies you can borrow".

A.Sharpe, sounds to me like you have a solution at hand, what are you thinking for optics?

A.Sharpe, sounds to me like you have a solution at hand, what are you thinking for optics?

Thinking a 2-7 Leupold or Burris on the 375. I have a 2X ready to go on the .58 double . I don't see as good as I used to, and I am a firm believer bullet placement is everything. I honestly think you could kill a buffalo with a 22-250. An exploded heart is an exploded heart. The Eskimo's hunted Polar Bear with 220 swift's. I worked in a gun store in Anchorage in the late
70's . I was amazed at what people used to hunt with. There was an outfitter on Kodiak who only carried a 7.7 Japanese WWII military rifle.

I like the low power scope as well. I had a hard time when the Army took away our iron sights and went to a fixed power scope, took some getting used to. I still like a QD for hunting, so i can go back to the sights if need be. After spending some time up in Resolute Bay, those are some pretty brave Eskimos going after Polar Bears with a .220. I had one prowling around my tent group and the .223 did not seem like nearly enough gun!! I am most thankful he decided to dine elsewhere that night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!