Outfitter Newsletters... Do they work?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Hartzview Hunting Safaris, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Good afternoon guys,

I have a quick and simple question. How do you feel about newsletters from businesses (outfitters)? I am just wondering if it is worth going through all the effort on putting them together if only 30 out of 700 people open them.

Looking forward to hear what you guys think.

Best regards,

Jacques

2. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    Jacques,
    I think there are three things you need to consider.

1 What do you hope to achieve from your newsletter?
    2. Who is your targeted audience ?
    3. How are you going to distribute the newsletter?

I personally like the idea of getting that sort of email as it keeps me informed on what is happening in the hunting world.

3. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Hey Richteb,

I understand and my audience is the right people as it is people who gave me their e-mail adresses during the years at sport shows and that has subscribed through the website. My main goal is to keep people informed on what is going on in Hartzview and the trophies that has been hunted by our clients.

Thank you for your input.

Jacques

4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Good question Jacques. I look forward to reading the responses...

5. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    I understand that the newsletter will be distributed by email however what format will you be using for the newsletter itself?

6. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I feel newsletters are a important piece of information. They let people know what is going on at "Company Name". It can be the punch in the arm that gets people to book another trip to that destination. It usual brings good news to my day! If you are not putting "feelers" out there, how else are you to keep people in the loop, and exciting about your outfitting business?

Finding clients is a numbers game...the more "feelers" you put out there, the more your company gets talked about.

7. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    Jacques,
    As I said, personally I think it's a good thing to keep past and potential clients informed on the latest happenings.

I think the best way you maybe able to monitor how popular the newsletter is, is by adding a unsubscribe feature to it. This may help you get some idea if it's worth the effort or not, just by comparing how many people subscribe vs unsubscribe.

What I have done on our hunting website is added pages with hints and tips about hunting our sambar deer . The main idea was to educate beginners, however the flow effect has been guys emailing me asking when we are going to add more material for them read when there is nothing on TV or their wife won't let them come and hunt with us. And to be honest when it comes to hunting in Africa I am much the same ( because I can't hunt their when I want) and thus enjoy reading about other peoples experiences.

Will a newsletter generate more business for your operation ? I think in the long run it will. Especially if there are subscribers shopping around for good deals on hunts and you have some on offer.

Well I have rambled enough.

Cheers

8. RickB

RickB AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA, WY)
    Great question Jacques. I would think its a great idea. In buisness you need as many feelers out that you can get. A news letter is a great way to do it as well. It won't cost anything to email the letter to everyone. Some won't read it, some will. But it has cost you nothing. Not sure if you have a facebook page or not but maybe you could do the news letter on facebook and email. One letter you just copy and paste to both facebook and email. I still follow my outfitter on facebook. I love to see the pics and what's going on. Richteb's idea of an unsubscribe link is a good idea to eliminate the email you have to send out. You could even include specials in the newsletter as well.

Ok done for now...just my 2 cents!

9. joester

joester AH Veteran

Member of:
    No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
    Hunted:
    US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
    I've never paid attention to unsolicited hunting flyers, brochures, etc...after reading these threads I will give them more attention

10. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    I read the newsletter sent by a PH I have hunted with. It is only once or twice per year which is enough. Too many and you switch off.

For someone trying to make up their mind about a first trip I see great value in a Newsletter informing prospective clients. After a few trips to Africa though you generally know what you want to do next.

For constantly repeating clents who don't want to try something new, it would be a great way to keep them 'in the family' so to speak.

11. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Monthly newsletters get dumped but once or twice a year is OK. Maybe one timed just before the hunting show season. Using gathered addresses with a prominent "unsubscribe" would be very useful from a marketing stand point. I too feel. as was mentioned, that it may be more useful to those who are looking for their first hunt and saw you at a show. For those who have been several times, they are pretty set in their ways on how they select their PHs. Prominent "specials" may generate some business with anyone however. The letters are fun to read and they do keep your name out there. If you do USA shows and send out newsletters it will probably generate booth traffic, if for nothing more than to meet you in person.