AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
DSC, NAPHA, SCI, Roland Ward Guild
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe
In all corners of Namibia, during December to February farmers and ranchers stare crinkly-eyed to the north, hoping to see a build-up of cumulus nimbus that may bring divine relief to the baked white land.

watermark.php

The scorching heat at this time presses down on your chest, as if carrying a heavy burden and the sweat oozing down your temples dries into sheets of itchy salt. The lavender scent of fabric softener strikes you as the back of your shirt absorbs the suns rays, emitting a scent as if it was just flat ironed.

Kudu lay in the shade of the big camel-thorn acacia trees ruminating. The expression on their chevron faces seems dull and sour. Wildebeest canter from side-to-side across the once grass covered savannah plains in search of the last blades of grass. Gemsbuck are seen pawing the ground for a lucky tuber or two to quench their thirst. It’s a waiting game.

Much like we as homo sapiens find ourselves waiting for better days when life throws us a curve ball…

We can learn a whole heap from nature as Proverbs 6:6 states; “Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise,” and in my own subjective opinion we can take it a step further. Take a day and spend it wisely watching wildlife in these hot, arid and dry conditions at this time of the year. The fight inside, the will to live and the pride of being alive echoes into eternity. All odds seem to be stacked against them, just like we at times in life feel pushed against the wall, but they seem to face the fight head on, even if it means chewing your cud several times just to fool their brain.

Just when wrathful thoughts of a drought year began creeping in, the first ramparts of black balloon clouds peaked over the horizon. At sunset, white threads of lightening illuminated the horizon and there was a steady wind pushing the storm over the red soil of Kowas. Amid the boom of thunder and roar of the rain, prayers of thank where sent to the Man above. You can smell the thankful earth, and you can hear the start of new life for another season. The year may start in January, but life starts with the first rains.

Springbuck once more parade on the plains in their all so familiar “pronking” maneuvers, imitating a ballerina from Italy in true Namibian style. Territorial black wildebeest bulls immediately take to the ground and roll themselves in the cool mud. Ostrich flocks make their way across the plains at full speed in perfect synchronization, and as they slow down they too show off their unique swirling-circle rain dance. The skeletal eland alongside the plains, keeping a watchful eye on proceedings had a unmistakable expression on her face, in that of saying; “I am going to make it”.

Displayed like a cherry on a cake, a perfect “outa wodula” (Oshiwambo word for rainbow) appears in a long arc of prismatic colors in the heavens above this magnificent display in the plains of Kowas. It’s beauty is shocking. One that will be burned into my mind forever.

Happy days are here again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written Jacques!

I know of the drought you've all been through. I have many dear friends farming Dorper sheep in central and southern Namibia. The Kudu would be in the sheep pens and some had to be taken out. Everything was suffering.
The rains came! Thank God.
Philip

In all corners of Namibia, during December to February farmers and ranchers stare crinkly-eyed to the north, hoping to see a build-up of cumulus nimbus that may bring divine relief to the baked white land.

The scorching heat at this time presses down on your chest, as if carrying a heavy burden and the sweat oozing down your temples dries into sheets of itchy salt. The lavender scent of fabric softener strikes you as the back of your shirt absorbs the suns rays, emitting a scent as if it was just flat ironed.

Kudu lay in the shade of the big camel-thorn acacia trees ruminating. The expression on their chevron faces seems dull and sour. Wildebeest canter from side-to-side across the once grass covered savannah plains in search of the last blades of grass. Gemsbuck are seen pawing the ground for a lucky tuber or two to quench their thirst. It’s a waiting game.

Much like we as homo sapiens find ourselves waiting for better days when life throws us a curve ball…

We can learn a whole heap from nature as Proverbs 6:6 states; “Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise,” and in my own subjective opinion we can take it a step further. Take a day and spend it wisely watching wildlife in these hot, arid and dry conditions at this time of the year. The fight inside, the will to live and the pride of being alive echoes into eternity. All odds seem to be stacked against them, just like we at times in life feel pushed against the wall, but they seem to face the fight head on, even if it means chewing your cud several times just to fool their brain.

Just when wrathful thoughts of a drought year began creeping in, the first ramparts of black balloon clouds peaked over the horizon. At sunset, white threads of lightening illuminated the horizon and there was a steady wind pushing the storm over the red soil of Kowas. Amid the boom of thunder and roar of the rain, prayers of thank where sent to the Man above. You can smell the thankful earth, and you can hear the start of new life for another season. The year may start in January, but life starts with the first rains.

Springbuck once more parade on the plains in their all so familiar “pronking” maneuvers, imitating a ballerina from Italy in true Namibian style. Territorial black wildebeest bulls immediately take to the ground and roll themselves in the cool mud. Ostrich flocks make their way across the plains at full speed in perfect synchronization, and as they slow down they too show off their unique swirling-circle rain dance. The skeletal eland alongside the plains, keeping a watchful eye on proceedings had a unmistakable expression on her face, in that of saying; “I am going to make it”.

Displayed like a cherry on a cake, a perfect “outa wodula” (Oshiwambo word for rainbow) appears in a long arc of prismatic colors in the heavens above this magnificent display in the plains of Kowas. It’s beauty is shocking. One that will be burned into my mind forever.

Happy days are here again.

I really enjoyed this! I can feel the relief the rains brought!

Yes Sir!!! Rain is a good thing...

:A Thumbs Up:

Jacques,
How much rain actually fell during this event!? I understand rain fall is very small in Namibia but I was wondering what this is like if you don't mind sharing!

nicely written Jacques
take a bow, mate

Last edited:
Brings a bloody tear to the eye !!
Wish I was there to see it .
I can feel your sigh of relief .

Thank you all for the kind comments...

CAustin, our average rainfall per season in south eastern Namibia, in the Dordabis area is about 10 inches. During the article we received about 2 inches. Which is a drop in a bucket, BUT the lands here appreciate every drop. Especially with the first rains...

The rain has dissapeared yet again, but the guys in fancy suits predicting the rain are opting that it would arrive next week again.

Keep on praying from that side if you will... Thanks.

Regards
Jacques

I was there in September of 2015, terrible situation. Drought shut down my leopard hunt.:(:(

Enjoyed the read Jacques.(y)

Happy you got some of the wet stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg