teenhunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
diana
Hunted
namibia,southafrica,zimbabwe,sweden,france,mauritus,switzerland
hello every one, i'm leaving in one month in Southafrica and i'll be bowhunting over there. Since it's the first time i'll be bowhunting i've got a few questions:

i'm wondering if (for hunting) i should used out of the box never used arrows of if i can use arrows i already shot on targets ?

Use the arrows you have shot at targets as long as the fletching is clean and straight and there are no nicks in the carbon. I always shoot "shot" arrows.

Tom answer is very valid. Shot arrows, as long as they are in good condition, have the advantage of one knowing that they fly where you aim.
New "out of the box" arrows need to be spin tested with the broad-head attached. to make sure both the nock and the point both spin true without any wobble,

teenhunter,

You don't need to go out and buy new arrows just for your trip if you already have plenty of arrows that are in good shape and already tuned to your current set-up. Using arrows that you already know will fly true are fine as long as the fletchings are in good shape and there is no apparent damage to the shafts....If you buy new arrows and broadheads for the trip, I strongly suggest that you shoot them several times each before you take them to the field to hunt to ensure that they are flying in tune...

Inexperinced bow hunters often assume arrows right out of the box will fly exactly the same way as their other arrows...Don't learn that lesson the hard way... I've personally bought arrow shafts from the same manufacturer with the same spine and same advertised grains per inch that had completely different flight characteristics than the same exact shafts I had purchased a year prior. Some set-ups will show very little deviation even with sizably different total arrow weights, different fletchings, etc. My bow is very fast and not very forgiving. The smallest deviation with my set up makes a big difference in the point of impact for me. Don't assume your set up will be the same just because your arrows are the same... For Africa, I usually mark a half dozen arrows that I shoot the tightest group with and only use those on trophy animals. I take another dozen or so to shoot varmints, cull animals, etc...

Whatever arrow/broadhead combination you intend to hunt with is exactly what you should be practicing with now. Also, shoot your bow once you arrive in camp. My bow has been knocked out of tune 4 out of 4 trips to Africa... I don't know how they do it...?

Practice, study your shot placement, and you will have lots of success. Good Luck & have fun!

Whatever arrow/broadhead combination you intend to hunt with is exactly what you should be practicing with now. Also, shoot your bow once you arrive in camp. My bow has been knocked out of tune 4 out of 4 trips to Africa... I don't know how they do it...? ........

Perhaps like this.

View attachment 19497

thanks everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg