Out of Africa - A modern version

Second Wind

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Member of
by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
Hunted
US, Canada, Mexico
Gentlemen, Scholars and Gentle Readers.

I submit for your comment a fresh exercise afforded me by my Kate, the youngest. who proffers this day a "Ladies Battery" and invites your comment.

[some background. 23yo, avid hunter and outdoors person, and after reading (or pilfering) most of my books on African hunting, seems to have fallen into something of a Colonial-African mindset where women dressed as such, had tea at 4 and shot 100lb elephant from the veranda. She (and her sister) make their first safari in March]

Kate's thoughts:

,275 Rigby
.318 Westley Richards
450/400 DR

Now understand please that this is only an exercise. This family can only afford one (1) gun whore and that would be ME. I am not buying anymore "girl-guns"

But, your comments are encouraged and welcome.

Second Wind

Your "Girls" Rifle battery....

I would say one rifle for each unless going after Dangerous game then it would be two rifles...

"WE as a group are waiting on your Trophy list" for the Girls, so that we will be better able to assist you with your Rifle selection process for them.

If the "Girls" are going Plains game i would opt for the 300 Weatherby Mag or 300 Winchester Mag....with 180 grain bullets...

The 318 Westley Richards or a 338 Winchester Mag (this would be my number 1 choice) would be the next step up...

Reality, as romantic as Kate makes it sound,here's the real deal

Both girls will actually take a 375 Holland only. Win Mod 70 w/ 2.5 - 8 Leupold

I am reloading now and they are trying to shoot a little more often than normal. On sticks they are pretty steady out to about 200 and improving. I figure when they are consistently hitting pie plates off the stix at 300 they are ready.

They have 7mm 08's but I do not consider this pop gun country so those will stay in the rack

In observing their progress I see them coming along real well. They are learning to manage the recoil well enough and are familiar with the guns so I think right now this is the way to proceed.

The best trip we have found so far offers an Impala, Wildebeest, Gemsbok and Kudu. I think that is a good start and right now the prices just can't be beat.

I think they will be fine

I thought you did real well on that first list. All classics, all pushing heavy for caliber bullets at moderate velocity (in original loadings), and all with very manageable recoil. Get her the .275 in it's Germanic form - maybe a pre-war Suhl or Czech built 7x57 with butter-knife bolt and a modern Schmidt and Bender glass. The .318 would have to be an original Westley Richards - but one with a modified bolt so it will handle a modern scope. And for the 450? a Rigby rising bite would be ideal, but tough to find in 450 3 1/4 so she will likely have to "settle" for a Holland and Holland Royal. Lucky girl!

Second wind

The selection of PG animals is good...

IF the Girls have any issue with the 375 H & H a good 30 cal like 300 Winchester or Weatherby Mag will be a very good fit with 180 grain quality bullets...

Red Legs bring up some good points to consider....

J. G.

No doubt RedLeg brings up some fine points and with the loan of his bank account they might almost be considered realistically!

The girls were given their .375's by their grandfather in anticipation of a trip to Africa. Unfortunately, he passed before the trip was taken and thus, for the most part, they gathered dust.

With this new development they are back in action. I believe that if they can handle these it might save me what could be a rather expensive errand to the gun shop.

Second Wind...

That makes taking the 375 so much sweeter and the best choice above all else.

The country that you are looking at have you made a decision....

Based on your PG selection i would suggest:

Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe. (In alphabet order)

Here are a couple who have received very good reviews on AH...there are others however i will let others AH members provide there information,,,

Louis Van Bergen
Spiral Horn Safaris - South Africa
Cell:+ 27 76 577 6292
safari.spiralhorn@gmail.com
www.SpiralHorn.co.za

Jacques Spamer
HartzView Hunting Safaris - South Africa / Zimbabwe
js@hvsafaris.com
www.hvsafaris.com

Second Wind,

JG recommends the best of the best PHs to cater to the PG requirement of yours ...

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross