'Our living dinosaurs' There are far fewer African elephants than we thought, study shows

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Was interesting to see the map of how the population are doing.

Was interesting to see the map of how the population are doing.

You asked for it, you got it.....

elephant map.jpg

Thanks for the map Wayne

Doesn't look very encouraging by that map. No ele in either Congo at all except on the eastern fringes of the DR? Find that hard to believe. None in the CAR? Hmmm.

I too saw this on the BBC. It always makes me chuckle a touch when the researchers have done all that hard work getting the data together and make a nice map and now the poachers know where the elephant hang out.

Doesn't look very encouraging by that map. No ele in either Congo at all except on the eastern fringes of the DR? Find that hard to believe. None in the CAR? Hmmm.

And it's still guess work and not as accurate as they act like regardless. Study was done over 2 years right? I'm sure at least a few elephants migrated and didn't stand under same tree the entire time.

Not questioning their methods as I don't know them. I am questioning why they think this is so much more accurate.

Haven't read journal article yet so perhaps it answers that.

:E Hmmm:...none in the caprivi...well at least they can take down the ele warning signs on the B8.........:D

I found that interesting also, they mysteriously jump from Botswana to Angola?

:E Hmmm:...none in the caprivi...well at least they can take down the ele warning signs on the B8.........:D

It appears that Namibia didn't participate in the study. Also, the data from CAR and South Sudan was still being compiled.

This study was only of the savanna elephant and did not include forest elephant populations (I have no idea what that means for numbers).

What I found most interesting is that mortality was the same in protected and unprotected environments, primarily attributed to poaching ...so much for protection!

In all my years in Mozambique, no one has ever come to my place to check or my nieghbour to my north, thats an area of over 2 million acres.

Last night a trailer for this report ran on CNN over and over again during the Trump speech on immigration. This will be the impetus to close elephant hunting. Anti poaching and putting significant pressure on China to shut down illegal ivory trade is the only hope long term.

I must say when I saw all that ivory being incinerated in Kenya I thought there is enough there to start a legal trade in ivory. You can even use some of the money for conservation projects. All that ivory burnt to ashes. All those Elephants died for nothing. Makes me pissed off!!!

Interesting that the report is by Elephants without Borders, a non-profit, tax exempt group registered in Botswana as the Somarela Trust, which is incorporated in New York City. Who really owns this group? And is their "research" really to save the elephants, or to stop hunting? I get the article clearly states poaching is a serious problem, and the CNN reporters did a great job in romanticizing the story, but they provide no real solutions. Since we're the easy fruit on the tree, they will clearly call for a ban on hunting. Be sure to look for the latest children's Disney movie to include a talking elephant that gets killed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg