Rick Hill

AH senior member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the outpouring of info on the 404 Jeffery. I think there are some times that you would like both eyes open when shooting but might like some higher power mag for a longer shot. I am looking at a longer eye relief, 1-6x24 Swarovski optik Z6 for a 404 Jeffery and 416 Rigby. I don't like the 1.1 or 1.5 low power with both eyes open. Any experience out there with other low power variable scopes or Schmidt and Bender?

Rick Hill

Rick - I put a Zeiss Duralyt 1.2-5x36 on my CZ 550 404 and used the Warne QD rings. Very happy with it. Using the QDs you can remove the scope quickly and go to full eyes open. While the 1.2 it gives a really nice field of view. Now, my experience is only at the range so far. But, I'm very happy with it. I think they are not manufactured anymore - probably why I got the good deal on it a few years ago. My thought is find the best optics you can afford and use the QD rings so that you have the ability to remove in the field for follow ups in thick stuff. John

@Rick Hill My dad has that scope on his drilling. It is an awesome scope, but highly expensive. You can get other good scopes for less I use a trijicon 1-4x and personally i like it at just over 1/3rd the cost of that z6.

@Rick Hill My dad has that scope on his drilling. It is an awesome scope, but highly expensive. You can get other good scopes for less I use a trijicon 1-4x and personally i like it at just over 1/3rd the cost of that z6.

I have the same trijicon on my 375 and I love it. Target acquisition is a no-brainer.

I too have the Trijicon 1-4x with German #4 reticle on my CZ 375 H&H and would highly recommend. I used it this year for buffalo and it worked flawlessly.

When I had my 404 Jeff built I opted for a Leupold V3 1x4 with Kwik Release mounts
IMG_0701.jpg

@Rob404 Rob, I have the same scope on my CZ 550 in 375. When I bought the 404 I found the good deal on the Zeiss. The 375 and Leupold worked great for me in Zimbabwe for my buffalo. I have the QD rings on both. John

Thank you all for the outpouring of info on the 404 Jeffery. I think there are some times that you would like both eyes open when shooting but might like some higher power mag for a longer shot. I am looking at a longer eye relief, 1-6x24 Swarovski optik Z6 for a 404 Jeffery and 416 Rigby. I don't like the 1.1 or 1.5 low power with both eyes open. Any experience out there with other low power variable scopes or Schmidt and Bender?

Rick Hill

Rick, I have Swarovski 1.7 - 10 x 42 Z6i on each of my .404 and .416. Excellent scopes and I've never had a problem with either one. My rationale for going with the 1.7-10 rather than the 1-6 was twofold:

1. 1.7 is not so much more than 1 that you will notice any real difference, and starting there takes you to 10x rather than 6x, which I've found makes the scope a lot more useful than one that maxes out at 6x.

2. The larger objective lens means I can use the rifle later when the light might not be as good. With a 24 objective lens, I though I'd be limiting myself here a bit as well.

I did have an issue with the bases on the .416 - they rattled loose after a dozen shots, which shouldn't happen. I think I have that problem fixed now, but it's something to watch for on heavy recoiling calibers.

Rick I have the exact swarovski you want on my dangerous game gun with the extended eye relief and the auto lighted circle dot reticle and it is super sweet adjustable to be bright enough for daylight and also for dusk it dims down, auto on/off. and hey it is a swarovski! i wanted a v8i but they are not out yet and i like the extended eye relief to not get scoped and as others said i have it in a set of quick release ring mounts warne i believe. I have S&Bs on other rifles and they are top notch to. but i like that lighted cirle dot! I do not trust the newer leupold scopes I think the quality has gone to hell and cant compete with top end euro scopes any more. you dont need more than 6x on a gun that isnt made to shoot past 200 yds and is really for shooting at 50-100yds anyhow. And i cant remember the last time I stopped to mess with the power ring when its time to get er done and shoot! People that F_CK with the power rings etc when its time to shoot are rookies and dont kill much or havent hunted much. buy that swarovski set it at 1-2x on the 404 and go kill some stuff!

I have the 1.7-10 Z6i on my 30-06 and it is a tremendous scope. I think the 1-6 is far more appropriate for a dangerous game rifle. For my eyes at least, it is no question the 1x is faster and easier to use up close than is the 1.7x when shooting with both eyes open.

My perspective on scope power is that high power can be nice to have but the desire for high power implies a distant target. If I am using my 404, it is the close shots I'm most concerned with.

I'm curious; for those who like to shoot with both eyes open, do you really see with both eyes when you take the shot? When I take a shot, I'm only consciously seen with the eye looking through the optic whether or not both eyes are open.

Grum- the idea of both eyes open shooting has to do with your dominant eye seeing the sights or looking through the scope while the image reported to the brain from the subordinate eye is "noted", the person "sees" what the dominant eye sees. Where this become really apparent is with shotguns- if the shooters subordinate eye is in line with the barrel and target while dominate eye is looking alongside the barrel, the shot will be fired in a different spot than the target.

I'm sure I'll catch crap for this but I have a Nikon Monarch 1-6 on my 416. I really like it and used it to take my lion and buff. I've shot a couple hundred rounds out of that rifle with that scope and it's never had a zero shift. Even after going to and from Africa. I can't remember what I paid for it, somewhere around 400$ I think. It's been an excellent scope and has worked well in low light and bright sun. I've been really impressed with it. I liked it so much I bought a similar one in 2-7 for my 375 H&H.

image.jpg

I know you mentioned you don't think you will like the low powered scopes but I put the Luepold VX6 on my 416. At no magnification you have a 120 foot field of view and at power 6 about 20 feet. It has the custom dial system that will allow for outstanding quick adjustments for longer ranges.

I strongly recommend the Leopold VX6 1-6x24. (pictured above in CAustin's post)

I use it on my 416 RM and could think of no better scope to use on a medium bore DG rifle. for close range work you run it at 1x with both eyes open. the top range of 6x is plenty for ranges out to 300 yards not that you would be shooting that far with a 40 cal rifle. the difference between my scope and CAustin's scope is mine has a illuminated reticle which I recommend if you ever plan on hunting game at night. with the illuminated reticle on and the power set to 1x you basically have a military red dot optic perfect for defending your self day or night against critters that wish to do you harm.

-matt

That scope looks like a great buy but I am looking at the EE Swarovski and the 120 mm stand off eye relief. My brother got a scope bite from a 300 Win shot quickly - I wonder how many have been cut by their scope? Seems like that might ruin a follow up shot if that was needed.

Rick

That scope looks like a great buy but I am looking at the EE Swarovski and the 120 mm stand off eye relief. My brother got a scope bite from a 300 Win shot quickly - I wonder how many have been cut by their scope? Seems like that might ruin a follow up shot if that was needed.

Rick

i was just firing 300gr bullets at 2800fps from my 416 RM off the bench this weekend and the scope doesn't even come close to hitting me. now this does depend on your rifles LOP and the length of your neck. i have had people hit themselves with my 416 but its pretty rare.

as you can see in this picture, my scope is set as far forward as possible. the eye relief is fine for up to the maximum power. (this pig was shot at around 140 yards with a 300gr Barnes TSX)

-matt

Attachments

• mepig4_zps5w3itquz.jpg
    mepig4_zps5w3itquz.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 127
I use the 1.25-4 Trijacon with a picket post reticle on my 416 Rigby. See avatar. Always set on the 1.25. I also use an Aimpoint on it. Both work well and are fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg