Taxidermy Wall Pedestal Mount Ideas

Jasper99

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know it's a matter of personal preference, but what do you think of pedestal wall mounts? I've never had one done but have seen a few I like. Anyone had one mounted and then wished they had gone with a traditional shoulder mount? Are there any pros and cons other than appearance? Are they more expensive? If you have a pedestal mount you like please post a pic. I'll soon be getting 7 animals shoulder mounted and was thinking of mixing it up with a couple of wall peds but am just not sold yet.

Thanks much, God bless......…

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
here is some springbuck wall peds. I like these because it shows the colors off of the animal. You would not see it if it was a reg. shoulder.
Also I have a picture of a eland wall peds. but it is not mine just one that was hanging in a lodge that I liked and thought it showed the true size of the eland off.

Copper.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg
GEDC0993.JPG

I really enjoy the look of a wall pedestal. Here are the results of my safari last year. Bookend kudu pedestals, a nyala pedestal, and a bushbuck shoulder mount.

finally-home-jpeg.40655

Obvious two disadvantages are they take morecspace and cost more. But sometimes not a lot more.

I really like them and for some animals I think they are a minimum that should be done, like the springbuck Bill pointed out.

The number one Advantage and the reason the wall pedestal was developed is...
Your mount can be hung anywhere and the head basically look straight into the room at the observer. This give you many options for where you can hang it. MANY people just got old style striaght mounts to give them flexabilty to put a mount anywhere in a room. With the Wall pedestal the heavy turn and sweep of the shoulder give it a very life-like appearance instead of the straight dead look.
The standard shoulder mount turns the head left or right and makes the presentation of the piece somewhat limited as to where you will hang it to present the animal to the viewer. With the wall pedestal you get the best of both words. A straight head position and the flow and turn of the neck in life-like presentation.

I will do only Wall pedestals. IMO they look great.

Beautiful mounts and y'all are a big help!

Informative stuff on the mount itself Dennis! Thanks!

I've had a number of pedestal mounts done, but only these two little guys done as wall pedestals.
watermark.php
watermark.php

My taxidermist is supposed to be working now on a similar wall pedestal mount of a Klipspringer for me.

I love wall pedestal mounts and have several. Here's just a couple.
Sorry for the clutter in the first pic, we're still under construction with the new building.
image.jpg

Note the blackbuck
image.jpg
Note the Nile Lechewe
image.jpg

GREAT ROOM.jpg

@billc i love the springbok mounted that way......wish i would have seen it earlier but will definately have my next one mounted that way

@billc i love the springbok mounted that way......wish i would have seen it earlier but will definately have my next one mounted that way

Glad you like the springbuck mounts. I think it is great for springbucks and shows that side color off which is one of the things that make springbuck so nice.

Getting shoulder mounts on eland, bushbuck, waterbuck, wildebeest and impala.........will probably do wall peds on 2 of them. Which animals do you think make the best candidates for that type of mount?

Thanks.

Definitely the Eland to accentuate the hump and deep chest, like Billc's. For the bushbuck, have the backskin tanned hair on to display the spots. For the other pedistal, a bit depends that you had them cut long enough, but the impala if it has good color contrasts that will show on the pedistal mount side, or the wildebeest to get more of the character. Of those, to me the Eland is the obvious first choice, and waterbuck is the only clear choice of the first to eliminate from consideration. The others depend on the individual animals.

of your list I would say blue wildebeest as you get the colors of the blue to show with a wall ped. then I would say eland or waterbuck. Eland peds are big but worth it I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosalineCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg