AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada
Ive been looking into a new bow for a while now and i have narrowed it down to the Elite Impulse 31 and the Hoyt Carbon Defiant 31. I have heard amazing things about the hoyt, mainly the fact that the string angles like a 34" bow. I still have to shoot it for myself. The Elite has a very solid back wall and an extremely smooth draw. The deciding factor would be weather or not the Hoyt is quiet. Is there anyone out there that owns one and can give me some advise. Much appreciated.

I think you have to go to your bow shop and try them both out.

Charlie is right , shoot them both!

All depends on how the bow feels in your hands, etc. My advice: go shoot both and make a decision on how they feel. They are both good bows. Don't think you could go wrong either way...

Good luck!

How did you narrow your list if you didn't shoot them? Shoot both as well as others. Pro shops that have those two likely have Bowtech, Mathews, prime, bear, etc. You owe it to yourself to take your time and get it right if your going to spend $1000+. Ignore the name as if you are shooting the ones in the price range of the elite and Hoyt you mention, they are all good. F&S and outdoor life both just finished their 2016 bow reviews. You can google this or buy the magazine. Good info but don't let their info make your final decision. It is just info to help you in your evaluation. Here is link to outdoor life article.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...est-17-new-compounds-2016-tested-and-reviewed

Agree go shoot them. Earlier this year I bought a bow which I was not interested in after being able to feel and compare it to the ones on my list.

i own a bear and have shot bowtechs. the Mathews is way out of my price range i have heard about the prime but i haven't shot it. i have shot the Elite Impulse 31 and 34 and i have shot the defiant turbo and 31 but not the carbon series. i will shoot as many as i can, i have just fixated on these ones for some reason. thanks for the link.
How did you narrow your list if you didn't shoot them? Shoot both as well as others. Pro shops that have those two likely have Bowtech, Mathews, prime, bear, etc. You owe it to yourself to take your time and get it right if your going to spend $1000+. Ignore the name as if you are shooting the ones in the price range of the elite and Hoyt you mention, they are all good. F&S and outdoor life both just finished their 2016 bow reviews. You can google this or buy the magazine. Good info but don't let their info make your final decision. It is just info to help you in your evaluation. Here is link to outdoor life article.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...est-17-new-compounds-2016-tested-and-reviewed

Make sure you shoot the new models of all brands. They change. Bear and Prime are getting better reviews, elites faster (but draw obviously a little harsher), multiple new makers such as obsession stealing market share due to performance, etc. enjoy the process. Some good value bows out there as well below the $ level of the ones you mentioned. I'm on the search as well. I've shot most 2 months ago and starting round 2 shortly. Current old bow works fine so not rushing. Enjoy the search. You will know when you find it.

I went to a local PA outdoor show/event today and a vendor had good deals on all the new 2016 bows. New Mathews Halons for $899, elites for $839, prime rise for $849, Hoyt defiant $899 with a free Hoyt soft bow Case, Bowtech BTX for $899. That's the cheapest I have seen the new top of the line bows. I shot the Prime and two PSE's. All nice. Looks like the pre archery deals may be under way. Prime rep told me 2017 models will be out or advertised in the Oct/Nov time frame so dealers may be moving 2016's. Don't be afraid to wheel and deal at your pro shop! I want to visit an obsession dealer and try obsession defcon 6 as I have never actually held one.

Make sure you shoot the new models of all brands. They change. Bear and Prime are getting better reviews, elites faster (but draw obviously a little harsher), multiple new makers such as obsession stealing market share due to performance, etc. enjoy the process. Some good value bows out there as well below the $ level of the ones you mentioned. I'm on the search as well. I've shot most 2 months ago and starting round 2 shortly. Current old bow works fine so not rushing. Enjoy the search. You will know when you find it.
thanks. good luck this season

I went to a local PA outdoor show/event today and a vendor had good deals on all the new 2016 bows. New Mathews Halons for $899, elites for $839, prime rise for $849, Hoyt defiant $899 with a free Hoyt soft bow Case, Bowtech BTX for $899. That's the cheapest I have seen the new top of the line bows. I shot the Prime and two PSE's. All nice. Looks like the pre archery deals may be under way. Prime rep told me 2017 models will be out or advertised in the Oct/Nov time frame so dealers may be moving 2016's. Don't be afraid to wheel and deal at your pro shop! I want to visit an obsession dealer and try obsession defcon 6 as I have never actually held one.
i haven't seen a dealer near me that has Obsession bows. I'm already driving a good hour to Shooter Choice, which is the only bow shop near me that has a range.

I just ordered a Carbon Defiant 34 yesterday. I had to order it as I wanted the brown color that needed to be ordered with 80 lb. limbs. I shot a couple of the other big name brands. To me in my opinion it fit me best. But I think it comes down to preference. Do you like blond or brunettes just your opinion, no right answer. Best of luck.

I have three bows, but just one brunette. LOL. Wife tolerates multiple bows...

Interesting choice. Long axle, very moderate speed at 325 IBO but you got 80 lb draw, and carbon (so lighter). I liked the brown color in the catalogue as well.

Enjoy the bow!

Yes. I decided on this package because I can go 65 to 80 is what my pro shop said. I want to go after a Cape buffalo and I think that will fit the bill with proper arrow and broad heads. Only bad part is they said I won't have it for 3 months because of options I want. Oh well.

Final setup! Hoyt Defiant 30, 55-65#, 28" draw. Now time for the accessories, we got a cobra bushwacker 4 pin all steel sight, fuse vector 4 arrow quiver loaded with Carbon Express Maxima reds 125 grain G5 montecs totalling at 410 grains. The stabilizer is a fuse intrepid 6" 5oz, and the standard whisker biscket. Thanks for all of your advise on this thread it made everything easier. (Notice the Hoyt quick fletches on the arrows )
IMG_0105.JPG

Yes. I decided on this package because I can go 65 to 80 is what my pro shop said. I want to go after a Cape buffalo and I think that will fit the bill with proper arrow and broad heads. Only bad part is they said I won't have it for 3 months because of options I want. Oh well.
3 MONTHS!!! The bow shop that was actually close had a 4-6 week wait for the bow so I drove out to Belleville to get one. But 3 months is crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg