Older Searcy on BSS frame

49cub

AH member
Reaction score
Good evening gents,

I've read a lot of articles on Searcy's and most have been positive. But most refer to the newer ones that are based off his action. I'm seeing a few of the original Searcy's that were based off BSS frames for good prices. But I don't hear many reviews on them. The main thing I've heard is they were "clubby" but that doesn't bother me too much. Does anyone have experience with the older Searcy's? No idea how many rounds the one in looking at has through it but it looks interesting.

Thanks for any help.

49cub, The very first side by side doubles built by Butch Searcy were on the Browning BSS 20 ga action. These were tough doubles but as you say they were a little clubby but were very strong doubles. Most were chambered for the 470NE round, and were very well regulated and accurate rifles.
There was one bought by a customer just to test ammo and had thousands of rounds fired through it without a problem. The owner of that rifle used to post on another forum but I simply cannot remember his screen name.
I never owned one of these rifles but have shot several and have never shot one that wasn't perfectly regulated and accurate. Most of the ones I have personally shot had many rounds through the before I shot them, and all were on face and tight as a drum.
As long as one of these rifles is tight and nothing broke on them they are a very good buy because they simply do not command a high price in my experience.

With the serial No a phone call to Butch will get you the load it was regulated for, and when it was made! Butch is a great guy and will help you in any way he can with info on the rifle!
...................................................................Mac

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!